Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39247 times)

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver

As far as I understand, CCP just more or less copypasted the Empire and the Federation into New Eden from the original Frontier game of 1993. Except, instead of what was basically American Old South in space and United Nations in space we got religious space byzantine persians and decadent space french.

Slavery in the Elite's Empire must be more like a mix of Khanid high-tech (TCMCs, etc) with Caldari compulsory lifetime employment schemes.

It's interesting that most of the religious nutjobs in ED universe operate out of the Federal territory (Sublime Order of Van Maanen's star and the like).

Also, I was amused to discover that the dominant minor faction in ye ole Sol system is not the Congress or even Sol's Worker Party, but "Mother Gaia" - apparently some sort of green/neopagan movement. They actually own most of the stations here!

I wonder if the capital of Earth in the 32th century is officially the Stonehenge.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Elite's Empire, as I currently understand it, largely uses slavery as a debt-forgiveness mechanism more than anything else, but I haven't read the lore for ED in a while. Not quite the same as the Amarrians, and I'm going to get tired of the comparisons really quickly, not gonna lie.

Arguably the Federation is even worse.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Just reading the Wiki myself, so I'm not too deep into the lore of it yet. I just found it funny that pretty much every time I go into space in a game, somewhere there's an Empire being slavers and very much worth kicking in the teeth.

"The Empire is less technologically dependent than the Federation, choosing to keep and employ slaves for the work which machines would usually perform in other parts of the universe. "

"The Imperial Law is seen and enforced by Senators who themselves are above the law. They can order executions, and can even kill people themselves, though sometimes (rarely) they may be held to account for their actions by the Emperor. In the Empire very little is illegal, but many things are frowned upon, like excessive use of narcotics.[1]"

Then there's the corporatist Federation where corps may very well be running the show behind the Federal government, even to the point of picking and choosing presidents, and money buys pretty much whatever you want from law enforcement, and "The Alliance was formed circa 3230 AD in Alioth, and portrays itself as a beacon of human rights and democracy in an increasingly autocratic universe. It does not conform to the political ideals of the totalitarian Empire, or the authoritarian Federation and there is much cultural variation among its members. This, however, means they often struggle to achieve political agreement" a bit of a clusterfuck.

I like this setting.

Utari Onzo

Think there's enough of these things to do a trope bingo?

"Evil space Empire, 33.

Hyper capitalist, corrupt 'democracy' 21.

Militaristic Outcast Society, 42

BINGO!"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Think there's enough of these things to do a trope bingo?

"Evil space Empire, 33.

Hyper capitalist, corrupt 'democracy' 21.

Militaristic Outcast Society, 42

BINGO!"

There's been too much sci fi for too many years NOT to use the tropes.

The question for an IP is if they use the tropes in an interesting way that you want to see more of ;)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

I played some more of the Horizons beta today. It is still complicated.

Spent about half an hour creeping around above a surface settlement in my Cobra, with the landing lights on, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do in a mission to retrieve data from the settlement. Eventually found out what was wrong, lol.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I imagine playing Elite is sort of like playing Eve 10 or 12 years ago where they kind of threw you into space: 'here, figure it out'

Lots of good and bad with that approach :)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I imagine playing Elite is sort of like playing Eve 10 or 12 years ago where they kind of threw you into space: 'here, figure it out'

Lots of good and bad with that approach :)

Elite actually had a tutori...training simulator at launch though.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Utari Onzo

Still does have that but like Eve's NPE, once you know how to fly and fight you're on your own buddy.

Anyways, actually logged in to this game last night again, and some fun doing PVE with my Viper. I'm super rusty however.

After undocking, it took me no less then 10 minutes of searching the controls, and much head scratching, to figure out my shift drive wouldn't activate because my landing gear was still deployed. :|

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I've skimmed through the thread, and collected the commander names of everyone in the thread who has shared theirs (or linked to it, in Lou's case). I'll mod-edit a link to this post into the OP for people looking for it quickly; if you're playing and not on the list and want to be, just note it down in the thread and I'll try to update it here. (Alternatively, Aelisha can copy the list into the OP and update it himself periodically if he likes.)

Players:
Aelisha Montenagre: Nyninch Anaconda
Gottii: Caiden Feyd
Karynn Denton: Marrakech
Louella Dougans: Louella
Mitara Newelle: Gidion Powell
Morwen Lagann: Lilith Enris
Nissui: Stutzer
Sofia Roseburn: Berechar Forezon
Tamiroth: Thelan
Thorolfur: Hydarius
Utari Onzo: Utari Onzo
Victoria Stecker: Stecker
Wanoah: Wanoah

Groups:
Anansi Syndicate: Lawless, Indepdendent
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2015, 08:36 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

Much appreciated, Morwen.

I am now updating the Op to include Cmdr names and groups. if you have groups you are members of, please let me know (along with Factional alignment or if Power play, chosen leader). Be aware that friending cmdrs gives your position away in open. For the same reason, I ask that groups only disclose their minor faction support and home systems openly, if they're looking for conflict or feel there's little risk of it.

ADDENDUM

I am a dumb and forgot that the Op is on an old, deleted, account.

If you don't mind, morwen, can you update your list with "Sofia Roseburn - Berechar Forezon" and list the Anansi Syndicate as a lawless independent player group?

See you, space cowboys.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2015, 03:59 by Aelisha »

Utari Onzo

Amazingly I haven't posted mine here.

CMDR Utari Onzo

Go figure

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

get some exploration data, and go to Lave station, sign up for the community goal mission, then hand your exploration data in. Right now, it's a minimum of 200,000 credits for doing that, money for very little effort, as chances are you can get some exploration data on your way there, lol.

It's what I did today. Then went on a tourist trip to Betelgeuse. It was a big red star.
\o/

Nissui

I want dat exploration dosh.  :(

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Balls of death, lol.

Don't jump into that system if you can avoid it, lol.

Wredguia AL-A B42-1
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2015, 08:24 by Louella Dougans »
\o/
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17