Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Both Black Ops and Titans create artificial wormholes with their respective jump portal generators?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39181 times)

Jikk

• Patriarch
  • Clonejack
  • Magister Dixit
    • Maritime Games

To quote Frontier Dev about Horizons:
Quote from: Frontier Dev
Elite Dangerous: Horizons is a new season of major gameplay expansions for Elite Dangerous, beginning with Planetary Landings across the Elite Dangerous galaxy. [...] Elite Dangerous: Horizons will continue to introduce new features and gameplay as the season continues into 2016, enriching the Elite Dangerous experience with new activities and new ways to play.

The way this is being handled is that the game launcher now provides two options - either Elite Dangerous or Elite Dangerous Horizons (with a choice of architecture where applicable), i.e.

Another quote, as to how the expansion operates:
Quote from: Frontier Dev
Our expansions are grouped into two seasons so far, and we ensure forward & backward compatibility so that all players of both seasons can play in the same galaxy together. Season one players continue to get regular updates even if they don't yet own season two.

Elite does not have a subscription based model. One can liken the two to one another, but I like to think of them as just different marketing strategies.

I've personally heard wind of character creation and multicrew. As far as I'm aware there's nothing set-in-stone as to how this will work yet. If one is interested, keep an eye on their news page.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I mean more can players who don't have the expansion still interact with the others who do? Like in some RTS the expansion people just get access to the new 'stuff' and the others don't?

Or are they separate servers?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

The difference between the two is Horizons people get to play on planet surfaces, and people who don't have Horizons, don't, afaik.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq

Good grief I'm posting again.

Horizons and Aelisha managed to get me interested in the game again, so I've hopped in my Asp and finally decided to make the trip corewards.

Here's an album of Horizons pretties if people are wondering what the landing content is like: https://imgur.com/a/rzHf3
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2015, 09:13 by Milo Caman »

Utari Onzo

I have just installed Horizons, let's see what its like

Nissui

Stutzer has been biomassed.

Exploration has been billed as somewhat of a profession I could pick up as a cadet, but in practice it seems well beyond my means. I've gone bankrupt twice trying to voyage a few hundred 'light years', am constantly beset by NPCs who seem keenly capable of dismantling my Scout in pleasure yachts, and am routinely turned away for any offer of work. The only way to make money seems to be grinding standings with factions I have no interest in supporting in any way.

I don't want to play a combat pilot without a proper flight setup, and couldn't afford one. Being a 'space trucker' in a game this hostile to casual flight from system A to system B sounds like an exercise in emotional sodomy.

I'm not out much real money, and I don't have any game assets to give anyone.

I will look forward to reading the logs of others on Inara instead as a diversion in science fiction.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2015, 02:56 by Oneironaut »

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq

Stutzer has been biomassed.

Exploration has been billed as somewhat of a profession I could pick up as a cadet, but in practice it seems well beyond my means. I've gone bankrupt twice trying to voyage a few hundred 'light years', am constantly beset by NPCs who seem keenly capable of dismantling my Scout in pleasure yachts, and am routinely turned away for any offer of work. The only way to make money seems to be grinding standings with factions I have no interest in supporting in any way.

I don't want to play a combat pilot without a proper flight setup, and couldn't afford one. Being a 'space trucker' in a game this hostile to casual flight from system A to system B sounds like an exercise in emotional sodomy.

I'm not out much real money, and I don't have any game assets to give anyone.

I will look forward to reading the logs of others on Inara instead as a diversion in science fiction.

Don't give up! Exploration can be a bit of a persistence game, and NPCs/Interdictions in Horizons are very buggy at the moment. Once you pass the 500ly barrier, things get very quiet (Unless you've gone to somewhere like Maia, which is a bit of a (literal) tourist trap right now.

If you do decide to get back into the game, I'm planning an expedition out to the upper second quadrant, as laid out by Erimus in this thread. I was hoping to get a few (5-10) people together and try and populate the map a bit, as it's not really been explored properly at all. Hoping to come out of it with populated spreadsheets, trello boards and hopefully, fame and fortune. PM me here or hit me up ingame if you're interested. My CMDR name is Alex Du'volle. These things are always better with friends.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2015, 09:27 by Milo Caman »

Utari Onzo

So after getting horizons I got myself into the grind. After taking about 3 nights to grind up an asp I tried out doing "the loop" for rares. That wasn't so fun and wasn't bringing in the bacon as I thought it would, so I went full han solo, packed up my shit and headed to Fehu to become Han Solo.

Smuggling missions aren't as lucrative as it seems they used to be, but I'm making bank and it's a lot more fun then the trade grind.

Edit: I'm making about 7-10m an hour once you factor in time for getting from the bubble to Fehu after a run, and time spent collecting missions

I'm only Merchant rank and Neutral to the factions so I expect that to jump up a little once I hit higher ranks/standing. The better missions seem to require allied status with the Silver Ring dudes and Broker rank and up

Another edit: these missions are great fun, but they are hard, namely you get randoms chasing you to interdict you, or landing with you as you try to dock. More missions you stack, more police and pirates chase you, and if you get scanned once it's all over, every mission fails. It's still potentially lucrative as all hell, but my god it's a cat and mouse game and I love it.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2015, 03:18 by Utari Onzo »

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Worthy note for those who think about whether they should try the game: The base game is available for under $15. Note, it does not include the new season content, only what's been published this far in the 1.x branch. Some features will be backported. For a "limited time" owning that will also net you a $15 discount on Horizons, but not sure if it has been announced how long that continues.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Another edit: these missions are great fun, but they are hard, namely you get randoms chasing you to interdict you, or landing with you as you try to dock. More missions you stack, more police and pirates chase you, and if you get scanned once it's all over, every mission fails. It's still potentially lucrative as all hell, but my god it's a cat and mouse game and I love it.

Been doing this the last couple days. Loving every second of it.

Fully agreed, the cat and mouse aspect makes it a hell of a lot more fun than most other parts of Elite I've tried so far.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain

I've been playing this since Beta with an Oculus Rift DK2 and a HOTAS. I'm still playing it. Being at the arse end of the internets, I mostly play Solo.

I'm also using "Voice Attack" so I can tell my ship "Warp Drive Active" and it will start up the frame shift drive in local mode, and if I go "Jump Jump Jump" it tries to jump to another system. Also, "landing Gear" and "Ship Lights" are things...

I've done exploring, trading, missions, Bounty hunting; I even tried mining, but it didn't really compete with bounty hunting. I did some power play, but unable as I was to support the Empire or the Feds, the alliance guy Edward Mahon gives you a bonus to trade, which isn't something I'm doing these days. I got a lot of bounties in small out of the way places for blowing up enemies.

I've worked my way up the Ship size chart. One day I upgraded to the point where I didn't have enough to pay the insurance if I lost it, so I bought a cheap Sidewinder to go ratting in, and had a blast! so I've gone back to ships in the Eagle/Diamondback Scout, Cobra range for ratting. In the Beta I flew a corvette around, and it's just huge and ungainly and un-fun to me. I have got away from fights in 2% hull, but have yet to actually lose a ship except in Beta testing.

Now that Horizons is out, I'm going out into the sticks in an Asp Explorer with a moon buggy, and tearing around the landscape having a great time exploring geology.

Every time I look out of my cockpit at the system I'm in, I grin.

If you need a story, or a reason to get out of bed other than to enjoy the pleasure of flying, then maybe Elite isn't going to be your cup of tea.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver

I've started to casually log my derping around. With pretty pictures!

http://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/11909/7189

http://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/11909/7204

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver

...Meahwhile, in their so absolutely charmingly old-fashioned Ultima Online meets Nintendo Hard meets Everquest way, the Frontier developers managed to break the AI in the game, but break it the other way. The Space Trucker 3000 suddenly turned into Dark Souls in space as the new NPCs, programmed to behave as double joystick using pro players, but also mercilessly cheating like, well, NPCs, and also affected by the uberweapons bug (basically, all engineer customizations stacked on top of each other in one bugged NPC module), began to slaughter casuals en masse. Apocalyptic whining ensued.

:lol:

Good thing  i'm 10000 light years away from this disaster :D
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2016, 13:44 by Tamiroth »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I was reading about that, and I near pissed myself laughing at Frontier accidentally Skynetting their NPCs.

It's pretty funny, if you're not getting your ass wrecked every time you undock.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17