Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: "Out of Game" and le devs  (Read 13314 times)

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
Re: "Out of Game" and le devs
« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:02 »

Do neat stuff.

It has the advantage of being neat whether or not CCP-senpai notices it or not.

This is basically what I should have written, but muh IRL write up has me all verbose 'n stuff.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:13 »

Good post Aelisha. It is spot on.

You mean, Miz, like "What ? You no know slack ? What kind of retard are you ? You would have to make it on purpose otherwise !"

Well it actually looks like the thing I was looking for to keep in touch when being at work, or away, for example, when I asked if there were any chatbox modules for SMF (backstage).

But I would be rather annoyed if it was for other purposes... I would be rather annoyed if someone told me to use that instead of corp chat for example. I don't have the patience to ctrl + alt everytime I want to check it while ingame...

I don't think I have read any posts where people have been mocked by not being on slack.

And the purpose of slack is not to replace ingame communication. If a corp does that then its a problem with them and not our use of slack. Instead it is an extra method of communicating with fellow eve players. For corporations that is particular useful when they need more people for something. Like when someone suddenly shows up and attacks your tower you can send out a ping to your members to tell them that.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:16 »

Do neat stuff.

It has the advantage of being neat whether or not CCP-senpai notices it or not.

I don't think anyone I saw here was disagreeing with this statement, after all how many of the stories we write or interactions we have which are so joyful for us to do or hear about have absolutely no larger impact beyond those individuals involved? Most I would hazard to say, and I for one will not stop these just because I am not noticed - I do them, and RP generally for my own enjoyment, nothing more. :)

However when you want to get in touch with CCP to deepen your RPs connection to the world I see nothing wrong with expecting their to be somewhere easily accessible and discoverable a list of the best avenues to do so. I would say the IGS, the wiki, and Backstage are certainly obvious because one need only to Google "EVE RP" and they will be returned on the first page.

I am not so certain if Slack or other avenues are firstly easily discoverable (I mean why would I need to ask for more avenues to contact CCP actors, my reading of the Faction Contacts thread was that this is where you are meant to go), nor necessarily easily accessible (Plenty of people, for varying and equally valid reasons, have no desire to use social medias).

My point is I think people are assuming that people are accusing others of doing something, or withholding something, which I at least am certainly not doing. I am glad to learn of Slack and if it doesn't require anything which might harm my career I will gladly partake of it; that said I think it would be best if there was somewhere a list of all the avenues to contact CCP about such things - I mean why can't they add it to their sticky on the IGS? Surely we can all agree this is  a worthwhile thing for transparency's sake, and general utility.

Again I am not intending to cause offence, and if any is given I offer my sincere apologies.
-A

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:24 »

Aelisha, I notice though that this is the only meaningful way to contact dev actors, especially since NPC faction contacts have been left forlorn into oblivion...

Which introduces a discrepancy between their policy on the matter of the Summit/OOC and their policy on this.

Good post Aelisha. It is spot on.

You mean, Miz, like "What ? You no know slack ? What kind of retard are you ? You would have to make it on purpose otherwise !"

Well it actually looks like the thing I was looking for to keep in touch when being at work, or away, for example, when I asked if there were any chatbox modules for SMF (backstage).

But I would be rather annoyed if it was for other purposes... I would be rather annoyed if someone told me to use that instead of corp chat for example. I don't have the patience to ctrl + alt everytime I want to check it while ingame...

I don't think I have read any posts where people have been mocked by not being on slack.

And the purpose of slack is not to replace ingame communication. If a corp does that then its a problem with them and not our use of slack. Instead it is an extra method of communicating with fellow eve players. For corporations that is particular useful when they need more people for something. Like when someone suddenly shows up and attacks your tower you can send out a ping to your members to tell them that.

Yes, I can see the merits of the thing, and it is interesting.

As for the insults, they are all in the katacombs right now to read if you have missed them... But whatever. No worries.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:29 »

The thing I wonder, is if CCP devs and lore actors are on this slack channel, and have left channels like the IGS, is because of the issue of noise/signal ratio, right ?

If so, it means that they are on slack because there is a lot less people and it's a lot more tolerable right ? In the hypothesis that slack becomes really popular, I mean more than 5-10% of RPers, then the issue will emerge again no ? It's a simple matter of math...

We have the same issue with RP events where there is like 50 RPers flooding the channel...

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:33 »

The thing I wonder, is if CCP devs and lore actors are on this slack channel, and have left channels like the IGS, is because of the issue of noise/signal ratio, right ?

Actors are not on the channel. It is not an RP channel.

Anskek

« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:40 »

This. All of my this. Christ so many of you are acting so entitled.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:49 »

So CCP do not use/watch the channel at all? If that is so and it is merely another community tool then definitely no need for it to have any more official attention. The only reason I weighed in was because I read things as CCP people use/watch the channel (or whatever Slack is) and so it might be considered a good avenue to get in touch with them; in which case I would like such things publicly listed for the sake of transparency and utility. :)

This. All of my this. Christ so many of you are acting so entitled.

I do hope I am not coming across as entitled or in anyway rude for truly that is not my intention, if I am allow me to deeply apologise.

-A
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 05:51 by Arkon Sarain »

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:53 »

So I went on slack to see what it's about. One of the mods said this "Steve Ronuken: Anyway: This is a community site, run by the community, for the community. Any official presence is entirely unofficial. Not a good way to contact them".

Another mod said this "Anskek: And I am a mod here as well".
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 06:20 by Anyanka Funk/Halfrek Foley »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:04 »

If so, it means that they are on slack because there is a lot less people and it's a lot more tolerable right ? In the hypothesis that slack becomes really popular, I mean more than 5-10% of RPers, then the issue will emerge again no ? It's a simple matter of math...

We have the same issue with RP events where there is like 50 RPers flooding the channel...

Lyn, there are already around 270 people in the #lore channel. It is far more active than OOC these days. A lot of the people there are not traditional "roleplayers", they are just people with an interest in the lore and slack is an excellent way for them to ask questions about things they don't understand or know.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #40 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:25 »

So CCP do not use/watch the channel at all? If that is so and it is merely another community tool then definitely no need for it to have any more official attention. The only reason I weighed in was because I read things as CCP people use/watch the channel (or whatever Slack is) and so it might be considered a good avenue to get in touch with them; in which case I would like such things publicly listed for the sake of transparency and utility. :)

A few devs do watch the channel and occasionally offer input, just like they do on the OOC/Out of Character channels in-game. By no actors, I mean they are not there RPing NPC characters. It is a purely OOC medium.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:58 »

It is no fucking different from signing up to Backstage.

Backstage is advertised.

Why are you so enraged over this discussion?

I say this as someone who completely agrees with your 'side' of what is apparently now an arguement.

This thread has been full of the people who have utilized this connection suddenly spitting bile because someone DARED bring it up, and it's starting to change my mind...

This essentially.  I don't care about whose talking to who where via what means. I care if people are being contemptuous about it.   Absolutely ridiculous and the wrong attitude to be snotty about a thing, that is all.    It should be a stupidly civil conversation, and that it is not seems silly. Come on now :)

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:11 »

The more and less implicit accusations of collusion tend to get people's hackles up.

Otherwise, if there's nothing left to argue about except tone, could we just.. not do that at all? Those never go anywhere.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:19 »

The more and less implicit accusations of collusion tend to get people's hackles up.

Otherwise, if there's nothing left to argue about except tone, could we just.. not do that at all? Those never go anywhere.

That's the part I missed, the collusion thing.  Of course there is "collusion" but that's not a bad thing, how else are the game people going to get neat stuff from players? We should all be so lucky to spend time on a thing and have it used, that is a good thing.  I applaud those getting their hard work I to the game. Seriously, vwd. 

People just need to A) not be jealous when talking about this stuff to the people involved, and B) be nice back.

Feel free to /thread if mids feel its done
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 07:35 by Silas Vitalia »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #44 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:23 »

Exactly I don't think the issue was with the collusion - I would rather term it involvement - that is an awesome thing, and when it gives products like the Drifter report a wide spotlight that is just ace! :D

The issue or question was more how did that happen so we can emulate it? Where are these places to get CCP's attention at? And if one of these avenues isn't very well known why not? Could there be merit in making it more readily accessible and known? At least that has been my approach, if that makes sense. :)

And again allow me to offer profound apologies if I have offended anyone.
-A
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 07:28 by Arkon Sarain »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6