Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: "Out of Game" and le devs  (Read 13298 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: "Out of Game" and le devs
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:11 »

Well obviously i'm a clueless retard that is doing it wrong and never managed to know anything about it. Easy and obvious to tell otherwise when you are already in I guess. :(

I don't even know what Slack is. Is that related to twitter or something ? Seriously.

The only thing you seem to get here when trying to use word of mouth or try to get informed is flak and petty contempt.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 02:16 by Lyn Farel »

ValentinaDLM

• Wetgraver
  • Totally a Toaster
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:15 »

Well obviously i'm a clueless retard that is doing it wrong and never managed to know anything about it. Easy and obvious to tell otherwise when you are already in I guess. :(

I don't even know what Slack is. Is that related to twitter or something ? Seriously.

Slack is corp chat on my iPhone for me :)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:17 »

Well, that's all and good, but it's not for us at SFRIM apparently... And fortunately.

Edit : so, slack replaces your ingame channels because it's supposedly better... Okay, if you say so, I trust you on that since you are the users and I didn't even know what it was until now. I get that. Now then, it's browser based right ? Or smartphone based ? So, if I understand correctly, you people/users are basically telling us to buy a compatible phone, or another computer screen so that I can read slack while playing the actual game ? @_@
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 02:40 by Lyn Farel »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:20 »

It is no fucking different from signing up to Backstage.

Backstage is advertised.

Why are you so enraged over this discussion?

I say this as someone who completely agrees with your 'side' of what is apparently now an arguement.

This thread has been full of the people who have utilized this connection suddenly spitting bile because someone DARED bring it up, and it's starting to change my mind...
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 02:22 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Nissui

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:56 »

Slack is billed as a productivity tool, and is awesome. I had not even heard of it until Ash (I think it was Ash) advertised the lore channel at the close of the Entosis podcast episode. IIRC I hopped on shortly after the stream ended, super easy. It's great to watch all these lore gurus work in realtime as well.

I mean I realize these aren't official channels, but ultimately CCP are a game company. The more people talk about them, tweet about them (I dont use twitter FWIW), blog/vlog about them, the better the chance that they reach potential subscribers. It seems like there are worse ways they could try to generate interest than by engaging players who are heavily invested in exploring the IP. Slack by its nature just happens to be a more efficient means of engagement at the moment, but it isn't the only means.

v0v

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:02 »

If that is like a forum that doesn't require me to buy anything expensive IRL or whatever... I can definitely try to get on it if the medium is so precious... Like it was obligatory to get on comms (even without a mic) when doing pvp or that kind of things...

I find a bit disturbing the validity of CCP hammering the Summit/OOC when it proved to go against their non 'exclusionist' policy, then to find them doing the exact contrary here though... :psyccp:

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:46 »

[mod]I just had to bin a thread regarding a community effort of all fucking things. This thread is rapidly spiralling out of control. My only suggestion is that you start debating and even try to read what people are writing as this is a very touchy subject evidently. This is as charitable as I'll get.[/mod]
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:52 »

I just want to say as for new player experience, I just started an alt on a free trial, then I paid. But when I first logged in an isd member started a chat with me. I thought, holy shit this is it, I'm gonna be banned again. But no, he wanted to know if I was new and needed any help. I asked him about my bans and he said the best way to contact anyone in CCP is to petition and that he could help me make a petition but that was all we could do. So that's what the general population of eve thinks. Yes, millions of people use Twitter and Facebook and MySpace and Friendstr. I don't. I was told to petition by CCP. If they would have said anything about slack or becoming friends with CCP Falcon that would be a different story.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 03:54 by Anyanka Funk/Halfrek Foley »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:54 »

Correct me if I am wrong but the issue here isn't with the utility of the "out of game" tool in question, never having heard of it let alone used it I am willing to accept statements that it is quite useful and handy, but rather with the public awareness of the tool - or indeed any tool/avenue that is used by CCP to allow the playerbase to engage/contact them?

Speaking as someone very new to EVE RP the only way I was aware of contacting CCP until recently was via the Faction Contacts, otherwise I was under the impression it was purely a wait for them to notice you sort of thing. And further to the point of "just look harder," just look harder how? If I Google EVE RP it returns the official forums, the wiki, and Backstage here on the first page, what would I look for to find this Slack thing? And if I start having to use specific terms and phrases, how would I know those without first being aware of the tool in question?

I should use social medias to get in touch with CCP might be a retort, but simply put I cannot. Not I don't want to, I cannot. I am a teacher, using social medias is literally one of the most dangerous things for me to do for my career, so no thank you I won't ever be on Twitter and I will be keeping my Facebook for family and close friends only.

So I guess I can see why this issue is problematic, and I don't think what people are asking for (clear and consistent methods and avenues for contacting and interacting with CCP) is unreasonable or accusatory.

I will probably regret posting this, but I just wanted to add my only little voice I guess. No offence was intended to anyone, and if it is taken allow me to offer my most sincere apologies.

-A

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:21 »

Same Arkon, I just thought it was about faction contacts (recent thing btw) or just being noticed (or speaking with devs in private convos or something...) and I have been playing 8 years. At the very last it explains a lot of things.

Having to use third party software for official channel purposes is completely baffling to me. But I should know better, i'm not that naive after so many years... Or am I ?
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 04:23 by Lyn Farel »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:46 »

Slack is an out of game chat channel. That's all it is. It's a browser-based IRC with better functionality. It is less exclusive than in-game channels, because it does not require use of the EVE client or even a subscription.

Yes, it might be hard to find out about. But then, so are many RP channels, or even this very forum that we are all using right now, because that is the nature of social networking. I only learned about it two days ago. Once I did find out about it, I joined it. Very simple.

Yes, maybe it could be advertised more. But it's not some great evil clique. It's a chat channel that you don't have to log in to use.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 04:49 by Samira Kernher »

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:48 »

To the people concerned about using social medias for eve stuff. If you haven't noticed it already, then there are many eve players who are on twitter under their eve char identity. My twitter account has nothing to do with RL stuff: https://twitter.com/MizhirStarsurge I am normally not much active on social media but I have found that twitter, and now slack as well, is a great tool to get in touch with eveplayers without actually logging into the game and it will likewise serve as a great source of information. So I see no difference between that and this place in terms of commitment or gating. Everyone is welcome. And regarding advertisement. Both slack and this place (as well as ingame channels) have been spread through the users and if anyone asks about what slack is, people have told them about it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:53 »

You mean, Miz, like "What ? You no know slack ? What kind of retard are you ? You would have to make it on purpose otherwise !"

Well it actually looks like the thing I was looking for to keep in touch when being at work, or away, for example, when I asked if there were any chatbox modules for SMF (backstage).

But I would be rather annoyed if it was for other purposes... I would be rather annoyed if someone told me to use that instead of corp chat for example. I don't have the patience to ctrl + alt everytime I want to check it while ingame...

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:54 »

Right, so I rarely like to engage in these discussions, but in this case I feel that there's a lot of misinformation and assumptions being made. These are not being helped by those of us who use Slack yelling 'get with the program', so here's another perspective.

Let us do away with the following terms: friends with Falcon, CCP contact, interaction with DEVs. Slack does not provide these any more so than existing channels, indeed it has only facilitated what I would term 'pointless' discussion in the medium itself, like the Icelandic weather or story devs cackling like a Lord of Change over our tin foil discussions.

Let us also do away with terms form the other side: search and you will find, everyone knows about X. These are not helpful and the existence of this thread immediately highlights the fallacious premise upon which such statements are made. Those of you, like I, who use slack and have collaborated on ideas may feel attacked, but you are not under any threat here. Let's calm down.

So, to discuss what slack does and does not do. It does not give us an avenue to be buddy buddy with devs in a realistic and game changing manner. We discuss ideas openly with our peers and CCP essentially sits on high, much as they have done in the Summit and more recently in the IGS. It is a content aggregator, where our random thoughts can flow. Some fall off the end of the archive capacity never seen or to be seen again, some get our attention and we collaborate and some get CCP attention and they run with it. Twitter, Facebook and in game mechanisms all have a similar role in this - they are windows onto player created content, not an altar at which we make offerings to CCP.

That Slack gave rise to the recent Drifter corpse collaboration is almost coincidental. It facilitated the discussion of Anslo, Miz, Kalo and Kyber. Much of this collaboration happened behind closed doors, to the point where I did not even know Kyber was involved till the report came out. At some point someone on slack suggested they mail it in to CCP (as we once did for the faction actors), and they did. They got a response not due to the medium that forged their team or allowed discussion with outside elements, but because of the perceived quality of their work. It was good content, in line with the current storyline (which is all CCP have the resources to deal with I'd wager) and respectfully vague/hypothetical, allowing CCP to mold it to their whims.

The report itself was compiled without CCP input and Slack only provided the basis for these people to get in touch. It is not a magical tool for content generation, but it is a direct IV of player hypotheses and banter that anyone, CCP staff included, can peruse at their leisure. And this is the important point - the tool makes it simple to view potential content. Ease of viewing means ease of potential integration when you find a piece that you think matches, and CCP is rightfully driven to integrate player stories in every way due to the recent successes they have had marketing that aspect.

Slack is not the path to godhood some are selling it as or believe it to be. No more than any other means of contacting CCP. Consider this analogy: closed content submission to CCP is like a pipe. They want good stuff but in the pipe only a few things are visible form the end at a time. To get more you need more pipes, which means more observers. The bandwidth on content aggregation is low. On an open medium, such as social networks, forums and Slack; the content is viewable moving past you in open water. You can wade in and pick what you want. If you're not watching when something flows past, too bad - the content creator may resubmit or think of a new idea entirely and so that potential content flows off the end into nothingness. When choosing a medium to interact with, the time limited and resource constrained nature of CCP story line development involving our interaction will push them inevitably to the open medium. And yet they have still maintained a professional personal distance from us.

TL;DR: Slack is a workflow stream lining tool that is like IRC but with inline imaging and is a good way for players to discuss things WITH EACH OTHER. Do not expect CCP involvement or response unless they want ownership of your idea. It is not required for interaction - post good content anywhere and it is likely that those of us who ARE using slack will link it just because we like sharing cool things to do with our EVE passion. But obviously the more content streams you dabble in, the higher the chance of being spotted.

I hope this clears things up and I would appreciate if my fellow Slackers could assist anyone interested in using that medium to do so. Keep up the content creation everyone - those contributions that shine are promoted by the players, not selected by CCP form an altar of offerings - and by getting our attention and respect for a job well done, you market yourselves to CCP.

To make a point in a grandiose fashion: Look not to CCP for they look upon us dispassionately, but instead look to your fellow players, for when they clamor for your idea to be heard, then CCP knows they have something they can take to market.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 05:01 by Aelisha »

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:58 »

Do neat stuff.

It has the advantage of being neat whether or not CCP-senpai notices it or not.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6