Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: "Out of Game" and le devs  (Read 13313 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
"Out of Game" and le devs
« on: 26 Apr 2015, 23:15 »

I'm not that familiar with what this entails, but from what I gather there are several out of game venues (twitter, etc), that the devs use to interact with eve subscribers?

I detect rustled jimmies that these out of game venues are used to both communicate and discuss content for RPers.

On the one hand, lots of game devs use twitter, facebook, whatever, to interact with players, set up events, and discuss the game.

On the other hand, EVE does already have a robust in game system for evemail, in game news, whatever that could also be used. I imagine some RPers feeling missing out on some things? Didn't they used to announce some of the live events on twitter and not in game or something?

What say you fine people?!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: "Out of Game" and le devs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2015, 23:26 »

It's the way it always was.

It's the way it always will be.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Anskek

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2015, 23:37 »

Then maybe some people should take the initiative to look for those channels instead of bitching that they weren't advertised in neon lights. They were player made mediums that happened to work. That's it. It's not some grand conspiracy to exclude certain people.

You wanna reach CCP? Take the initiative and do the work to find the channels.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2015, 23:42 »

Hey trying to be mellow here!

Does CCP advertise this sort of thing or is it more of a cool kids club? Or is it like just a well known thing that RPers in their rabbit holes just don't know for not interacting with the larger community?

ValentinaDLM

• Wetgraver
  • Totally a Toaster
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2015, 23:45 »

I have had contact with devs and actors in game and out of game, but it wasn't out of any special favoritism, more that I was either in the right place at the right time, or I had reached out to them with something they responded positively to.

Anskek

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:00 »

Does CCP advertise this sort of thing or is it more of a cool kids club?

Literally what did I just say? It is NOT a cool kids club. People just need to do their research.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:23 »

How can they do research for things they don't know about?   
I don't think you mean it this way, but you sound like "I'm doing this cool thing, and you could be too if you just worked harder at finding out about stuff you don't know about"

So do they talk about the twitter/slackjack/whatever stuff in game or on the forums/website? Is it a thing most eve players know about?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:24 »

Then maybe some people should take the initiative to look for those channels instead of bitching that they weren't advertised in neon lights. They were player made mediums that happened to work. That's it. It's not some grand conspiracy to exclude certain people.

You wanna reach CCP? Take the initiative and do the work to find the channels.

This, really. As I said elsewhere, Slack is stupidly easy to get access to, and a bunch of us in the community have been using it and talking about it in places like OOC. If you want to get on it, either use the signup page that's been linked elsewhere, or contact one of the 21-person moderation team for a direct invite. Anslo, Lucas and myself can all do that for people.

And now that it's been posted - twice in the space of 15 minutes - how to get on Slack, I'd appreciate people knocking off the shit-stirring and getting started on getting off their asses to do something about this supposedly sekrit, walled-off thing that's never actually been secret or walled off at all. Anyone reading this post, or my other one, knows how to get on it now. If you want to be on Slack and don't act on this new knowledge, it's your own fault from now on, and you've forfeited any right to expect anyone to tolerate complaining about it.

How can they do research for things they don't know about?   
I don't think you mean it this way, but you sound like "I'm doing this cool thing, and you could be too if you just worked harder at finding out about stuff you don't know about"

So do they talk about the twitter/slackjack/whatever stuff in game or on the forums/website? Is it a thing most eve players know about?

It has been discussed, openly, in OOC, on Twitter, and on the eve forums as well as here. There are over a thousand people using it. #lore is the second most populated channel of all channels on this particular Slack right now. If you are curious and cannot be bothered to go to fucking Google to look up something that is being discussed, and have to stir shit or make passive-aggressive snipes about how you aren't getting the attention you want ingame and think it's so unfair, looking in a mirror will tell you who is 100% at fault for any resulting discomfort on your end.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 00:28 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:26 »

The definition of a cool kids club would be a little known thing used by a small number of people to do cool things though, yea?

I don't have to have an exclusive policy at my nightclub if most people don't know about it.

I'm all about cross media engagement with the players though.  They should be hitting all the things all the time to get the word out.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:33 »

Absolutely not shit stirring this is a good topic.   

What I'm hearing is if you want to participate in this sort of activity you have to sign up for this thing, is that accurate? 

I'm not signing up for the thing I don't care.  But this is establishing a specific hoop to jump through for other players, just getting that info confirmed.   It makes no difference to me who talks to the devs about what and who gets on the news page and whose content is cannon.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:41 »

EVE peaked at around 40,000 active characters today. Generous guesstimate suggests that about 25-30,000 of those were unique users. Possibly fewer. Tweetfleet's Slack has over 1,000 accounts on it, for comparison. That's not a small percentage when one considers that the majority of EVE players are not engaged with the community beyond just playing the game.

It was originally set up by members of #tweetfleet, EVE's Twitter community, as a better medium for discussions - either in real-time or delayed - that were made difficult by Twitter's 140-character limit.  That Slack also doesn't require people to be tied to an EVE client 24/7 is a huge bonus as well. I can lose power at home, or internet, or whatever, then hop back on when things are working again and see exactly what I missed without having to bother people for logs. It also has very good mobile support, and is becoming popular with a number of alliances in EVE for setting up their own personal Slack teams.

There are, at the moment, about 25 CCP devs who are signed up on Slack. I would guess that maybe 10 of them use Slack even semi-regularly, and most of them primarily in the channels specific to the stuff they work on, like #devfleet or #lore rather than places like the default #general channel. They all have better things to be doing than spending time advertising for a service created by players for players. That they choose to use it at all is cool, but not required of them, and advertising it sure isn't their problem either.

Word of mouth is a thing. But so is initiative on the part of the user.

If you can't be bothered to act on things you hear or see, it's not everyone else's problem that you aren't involved.

It is no fucking different from signing up to Backstage.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:42 »

I think I might be only hearing half a conversation, I hope you aren't thinking I'm upset?

My discussion is about access, creation, and dissemination of content up and down the pipe, that's all.   

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 00:45 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:49 »

I think I take a bit of issue with that sort of attitude though, that people should have to do "x" amount of work over 'y' different platforms to get everything they want?   I don't mind all the different ways players organize or socialize, i just see a lot of angry wording sort of "do this or screw you for being lazy" sort of thing and I'm not sure why?   

I feel like I'm missing a lot of arguing in other mediums right now :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2015, 00:52 »

Whether you are upset or not is not really my concern, and I think you know me well enough that if you were upset about it I'd laugh at you and tell you to HTFU and/or STFU.

I will still call it shit-stirring, because the continued representation of it as some sort of gated thing where people have to jump through hoops to be involved by a number of people over the last few days is inaccurate, unhelpful, and incredibly rude when it's never been that much more involved than signing up to Backstage is.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:05 »

I am not going to get on twitter that I don't want to use for the pretty eyes of CCP. They already have ingame mediums, and they should use ingame mediums to do ingame related things. Which doesn't include their job mail addresses... @_@

The problem is not really that it's a cool kid club or not (even if it has the potential to be one), as I trust dev actors enough not to be tainted by the usual CCP corrupt and to include everyone happily in their shenanigans.

The problem is that it is not advertised at all and as Silas said, the only way to know about it is to notice that some people seem to get through devs, and then ask those people how did they manage that. Well as you can see, the last time I asked that on the conference thread, I was almost shat upon for whatever reason...

So yeah, don't tell us it's not gated or whatever, because a few days ago, you sure made it look like it was to me, and to other people too that are not hyped into your social networks.

Well, i'm certainly not going to hop on twitter for that, nor contacting them on their mail job addresses. If tha means I can't reach them out, so be it, I don't mind much, too bad...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6