Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: State of the Eve RP 2014 - 2015  (Read 32873 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: State of the Eve RP 2014 - 2015
« Reply #240 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:16 »

Mostly agree but minor point of difference,

The IP has varied wildly, wildly, as far as the scope, scale, and importance of the FW.

Sometimes it's the most serious business EVAR with untold misery and suffering and explosions and pew pew, and sometimes it is as you describe a brushfire of proxy fighting out in the jungle so to speak.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #241 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:22 »

Mostly agree but minor point of difference,
The IP has varied wildly, wildly, as far as the scope, scale, and importance of the FW.
Sometimes it's the most serious business EVAR with untold misery and suffering and explosions and pew pew, and sometimes it is as you describe a brushfire of proxy fighting out in the jungle so to speak.

The collapse of the then FDU led to the ousting of Foiritain as president of the Federation.
The collapse of the then STPRO led to the downfall of Tibus Heth.

meanwhile, the Elders told Shakor that his only job is to be a speedbump, so the recent collapse of the TLF means nothing.

Like you said, varying importance. vOv
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #242 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:27 »

I just await the day the playerbase is made aware that all of us capsuleers are merely sleeping sleepers stuck in one of their VR stasis chamber stations.  They'll reveal that before the servers shut down

Liuni Kalthis

• Wetgraver
« Reply #243 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:30 »

I just await the day the playerbase is made aware that all of us capsuleers are merely sleeping sleepers stuck in one of their VR stasis chamber stations.  They'll reveal that before the servers shut down

I'd like it more if Earth invaded and killed everything.

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #244 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:47 »

I'd like it more if Earth invaded and killed everything.

As it turns out the EVE Gate collapsed just before Earth entered a massive technological renaissance. Their tech is about a hundred times greater than sleepers. Their advanced scout ships create their own wormholes at will and lay waste to entire fleets of defenders. Out numbered, out gunned, it's up to the EVE cluster to decide whether to stand or fall together.

Or it was all a sleeper VR dream.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #245 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:48 »

That is fair Silas and I do not absolve CCP in entirety of putting intelligent work into the lore. However..
A: I can't do anything about that, I just have to work with what I have or throw hands up and walk away. I choose to work with what I have.
B: It's a war(well several wars) that have lasted for years across large reaches of space and with varying intensities. If anything the fact that sometimes it's of import and sometimes it goes unnoticed works when crafting a storyline to work off of.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #246 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:51 »

I don't think anyone is saying anything along the lines that PYRE is stealing RPers >.>

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #247 on: 22 Jan 2015, 18:22 »

Many of the posts above, especially Miz's imply that by dint of existence our take on RP somehow "forces out" or "destroys" the RP of loyalist corporations. In my mind this can only be true if the combined 60 or so people spread across three corps is some overwhelming percentage of roleplayers involved in the militias. If that is true than the fault lies in the lack of loyalist numbers and I find it hard to believe that the blame for that can somehow be laid at our feet. If PIE and UK both had a hundred active RPers or there were dozens of active RP corporations than we would be some small percentage of visibility on the IGS, Summit and other public venues. If anything at that point we would be the ones being squeezed out by the weight of loyalist pressure as unlike us their RP would effectively demand they try and kick us out. Which I would like to point out I would not complain about because hey, storyline man.

Obviously none of the above takes into account Samira's points about the general non-RP militia but again there is nothing I can do about that so I choose to interpret such things as they come and explain the game world in a way that makes some sense to me.

The point I am trying to make in regards to your post John, is that the problem(if there is one) is there is not enough loyalists. This is not our fault as the people we recruit are pretty much not loyalists.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #248 on: 22 Jan 2015, 19:17 »

I have always seen a general lack in loyalists, or at least ones who stick with it. So its nothing new.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #249 on: 22 Jan 2015, 19:53 »

I was going to post something relevant but I am not reading thirteen fuckin' pages of this thread. Y'all on your own.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #250 on: 22 Jan 2015, 20:13 »

I have always seen a general lack in loyalists, or at least ones who stick with it. So its nothing new.

Probably because loyalist RP is very restrictive. You limit yourself to 1/4 or 1/2 of all the high and low-sec regions, constantly spout the same slogans like a broken record and maybe even restrict your ship choices. Throw in the fact that you will need to either stop training this loyalist character to train that other character to do whatever or buy another account for the sake of consistently loyal behaviour in the RP character and you get something that is, let's be honest, pretty not fun. And it's not like you can just get to become good at whatever you want to do within just one year either, unless what you want to do is frigate solo combat every day all day, making the transition a bit problematic.

It's basically why I did not make my character a loyalist but instead a privateer. That way if I ever get sick of doing that privateering thing I could just hang in or simply shred that letter of marquee and go take on some other adventure.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #251 on: 22 Jan 2015, 21:20 »

I was going to post something relevant but I am not reading thirteen fuckin' pages of this thread. Y'all on your own.

It's actually a pretty good read.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #252 on: 22 Jan 2015, 21:22 »

[mod]Small amount of modding. We are keeping a fairly light touch with this thread and appreciate your cooperation in keeping it that way. [/mod]

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #253 on: 22 Jan 2015, 21:31 »

I don't think there's an "old" or "new" conflict, just the age old one across all MMOs of people who like to roleplay casually as a side dish to playing the game and who don't really let it govern their actions, and people who prefer hardcore, serious stuff that defines everything they do while playing.

Ideally, the two are big enough to sustain eachother independently without there being any conflict. When they aren't, though, they eat eachother.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #254 on: 22 Jan 2015, 21:43 »

(Mod hat off)

I didn't RP much in the latter half of the year, so I'm not all up to date on everything. I've seen some of Pyre vacuuming up members, and I suspect it is because people want to have fun and they are finding it there. That's a perfectly valid reason to join a corp. For some people certain IC things are a priority when looking at a corp, for others considerations that are not entirely IC might take precedence - I think whichever approach works for you is valid. The main thing is you are having fun when you log in.

I think that if WH corps decide they want to pursue an isolationist policy, that's actually kind of an interesting RP route to go down. It isn't everyone's responsibility to make themselves available for everyone else's RP. It has the benefit of being something it actually makes sense (potentially) for a corp in that position to do.

I have seen a lot of discussion about older RPers forcing new people out or discouraging them. I'm kind of curious about it. I am fairly sure that I haven't intentionally discouraged anyone (in fact, I try to encourage people when I can), though certainly there have been people throughout the years I declined to interact with because I didn't find interacting with them fun or interesting - and my position tends to be that while no one is required to RP with me, I expect that same courtesy in return (barring the more kinetic sorts of Eve RP, anyway. I haven't ever had someone I didn't want to RP with RP at me with guns, though. It's always been people I'm fine interacting with so far - which is always nice for the press releases afterward.)

Of course, I'm not plugged into every aspect of the community, but I suspect that the most common sort of exclusion is unintentional. Many players who have been around a long time know each other, and are comfortable with each other, and it can be intimidating or even difficult to break into an established social group as a newcomer. For that type of exclusion I don't know that there is an easy solution, other than encouraging established players to reach out to newcomers. I don't know that hostility toward those more established players is a useful tactic - but that's why I'm a bit curious. It seems like you are talking about something more intentional than just a lack of reaching out to newbies from entrenched social groups.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20