Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That one of the primary exports of the Amarrian Theology Council is booze? (Theology Council in-game info, Market Activity tab).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39185 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/20/elite-dangerous-refunds/#more-250967

Offline mode promised to backers

Offline mode removed

much pitchforks and fire

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger

Offline mode removed

much pitchforks and fire

Much edgy post pertaining to Star Citizen elitism.

The explanation given is reasonable considering the technical challenges and you still seem to be under the impression that they aren't giving out refunds.

Keep up fam.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Offline mode removed

much pitchforks and fire

Much edgy post pertaining to Star Citizen elitism.

The explanation given is reasonable considering the technical challenges and you still seem to be under the impression that they aren't giving out refunds.

Keep up fam.

This isn't a star citizen thread, and if you would read prior posts in this very thread you'd see I'm a supporter of elite and wish it well, so kindly chill out.

They promised x to funders, then removed x feature, people are rightly upset, and further upset by the refund policy which was refusing refunds to a huge portion of their playerbase.  I think they've backpedaled since on the refund policy after getting shafted publicly for it.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Eh, the rage over this only lasted about a week and now it's gone. Does it suck for the handful of people who were counting on offline mode to play? Absolutely.

It's a kickstarter. Shit happens. "Promises" (I hate that word) get broken by annoying little things like budgets and reality.

Game launches for the public on Dec. 16. Can't wait to try it out.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

Talk about feeling like a speck of dust though, the 'bubble' has been removed and all star systems can be visited.  Crazy huge.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Official trailer is posted - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6peGu2yG6o

Not my favorite, seems at odds with the more slow placed and deliberate sort of gameplay I've seen?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Yeah, official trailer is crap. AFAIK, they just handed a bunch of art assets to an animation/marketing company and had them make a trailer.

Look for the elite dangerous honest trailer, enjoy a good chuckle.

I'm looking forward to release next week, should be good times.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Can you update with the state of the multiplayer parts?

I heard something about no player orgs or ways to group up easily?

One thing I did like about what I've seen is the open travel without solar system 'rooms,'  and the sun-scooping fuel thing is super neat, along with the cockpit freeze effect.

Stealing star wars prequel star destroyers though -5 points

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

You might have your order of events backwards ;-)

I'm not in the gamma, but everything I've read suggests that grouping up for multiplayer is not nearly as easy as it should be. the multiplayer tools are a bit lacking at this stage in development. We'll see how big the changes are between the gamma and the release, maybe they'll surprise us.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

You might have your order of events backwards ;-)

I'm not in the gamma, but everything I've read suggests that grouping up for multiplayer is not nearly as easy as it should be. the multiplayer tools are a bit lacking at this stage in development. We'll see how big the changes are between the gamma and the release, maybe they'll surprise us.

I'm not familiar with the series, but those capital ships looked awfully similar to the prequel 'star destroyer' antecedents?  Venator class or something?

Anyway plenty of pew pew ahead for you elite people :0

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Yeah, they do look similar, but that's because they're based on the ships from the original Elite - and those ships were just bare polygons because it was the 80's. So they took the same bare polygon shape and put some extra details on it, but you still end up with a basic polygon.

Which happens to be what Star Destroyers look like too. They're just an awful lot bigger.

And this game launches tomorrow, so I can stop screwing around in the severely mediocre tutorials and play. Huzzah!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

So, player grouping. The layering/islands/instances thingie should priorize your friends list when deciding where to fling you. The rest should be by playstyle and possibly location profiling. (Game runs in partial P2P model, so being close in the 'net should improve multiplayer experience.) "Wings" (groups) will be a post-launch feature. Then there's the private grouping mechanism, which is only the group and NPCs, one player creates a group and others join. But as noted, the game will launch with "fly to the same place and hope you get assigned to the same instance" method of grouping. Helps if you are on the same node - which is apparently more likely if you coordinate login times.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I look forward to hearing more after launch from you all!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

The Good: I managed to dock in a coriolis station on my first attempt without crashing.

The Bad: I have no time to actually play very much this week, and my new GPU is having some real issues with rebooting the computer when I play graphically intensive games. Dropping the power setting to -10% helps, but kinda invalidates the point of getting one with a monster cooler on it.

Game is still very pretty.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17