Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hubert Caissor was a Gallentean senator who, along with his entire family and personal wealth, disappeared aboard the starship Peralles while jumping from the Dom-Aphis system to Iderion.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39248 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

They posted a link to the manual on Twitter a little while ago, for those who haven't seen it or want to read it: http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf

I'm being sorely tempted right now, let me tell you.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Fantastic MorLag.  Thanks for posting this.

My commanders name is Caiden Feyd, if anyone wants to hit me up sometime.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Jace

• Veteran

So subscription, just the initial purchase ($60, iirc). Not sure how easily it can be moved between computers, it's a decent sized download/install and it requires an internet connection to play. But I don't recall it taking too long to download, maybe 15 GB.

I can only download something that big by downloading it on my laptop away from home and transferring it to my gaming machine, so if it can't be moved it is the out of the question for me.

But either way, I won't spend 60 dollars on a game anymore - especially a flight simulator which is a genre I typically distaste. I was curious primarily because *space*, but looks like it isn't meant to be.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

So, first off, it isn't perfect, but:

a) This is pretty much the game I always wanted. I mean, ever I since first played the original Elite and my imagination painted a picture of how gaming could be one day. So, it's been long in the coming.

b) The attention to detail, the commitment to simulation and its atmosphere are, frankly, amazing. This game is immersive.

c) This is very much what - more recently back in 2004 - I hoped Eve would be or become. Of course, I would soon understand that Eve wasn't really a sim per se, nor did its economic parts have any relevance to the fictional/in-game world. The fact that you can trade and do missions that actually change the landscape and politics is so key and gives meaning to the simplest tasks/grinds. The dynamic economy/world actually makes this a great platform for possible RP groups working within the world - which is something I'd totally love to see happening en masse.

So, yeah, I think the game is pretty boss. In a way, still feels like a work in progress just because it is so expandable. Sure, the NPCs could be tougher, the missions could be a little clearer/"engagement friendly" and the legality mechanics might need some love (esp. smuggling/salvage). No experience with PvP yet.

While Eve does hold fond memories for me, the chances of it drawing me back in after Elite's launch have grown much more slim. For a long time, it attracted space sim fans simply because of a lack of competition, but now that the field has changed (and will keep changing with more space sims coming out to market), it will be interesting to see what impact it will have.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2015, 21:49 by GoGo Yubari »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I may have picked this up over the weekend after watching CCP Foxfour streaming it and being so bad that Fozzie came on the chat and started smacktalking.

Definitely missed having a game like this to play, and I'm probably going to have to invest in a new joystick - my old Sidewinder (hurr hurr) still works but it's time I got a new one anyway.

"Lilith Enris" for those looking for me.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!

CMDR Wanoah checking in. I started in LHS 3447, like so many people it seems, and got the hell out of there just as soon as I sold my Freagle.

I have ended up in a similarly irritating system where the jump in point is >400,000 Ls away from any of the useful stations and resources. However, it does have metal-rich asteroids, and I have quite happily mined some gold, silver and palladium for fun and profit. Well, mostly profit. Mining and NPC bounty hunting seem to be about on a par in terms of rewards. Trading didn't go so well for me: time and effort were disproportionately large compared to the rewards.

I started off playing online, but until we get some better tools for comms and grouping, I didn't see much point, and reverted to just playing solo. :s

The game is...breathtaking. Stunningly beautiful and vast. It is an incredible achievement even if they did release before it was feature complete.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Trading didn't go so well for me: time and effort were disproportionately large compared to the rewards.

Trading ends up being the most effective way to make money once you have enough for a hauler (for doing rare trading) or a type 6 (for doing high-volume margin trading). But I enjoy combat a little more, so I'm sticking to the viper for now.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!

Trading didn't go so well for me: time and effort were disproportionately large compared to the rewards.

Trading ends up being the most effective way to make money once you have enough for a hauler (for doing rare trading) or a type 6 (for doing high-volume margin trading). But I enjoy combat a little more, so I'm sticking to the viper for now.

I haven't stumbled across any of the rares so far, so not too sure what the deal is there. I'm also trying to avoid the various threads that give you specific routes and the like, as I want to discover things for myself and not start sliding down the min/max route. I do have a hauler, though, so I can jump on any trade opportunities that present themselves and cope with a relatively large volume compared to the sidey at least. :) I'm looking to upgrade the sidewinder to a class A viper as funds allow.

Still, I constantly feel like I'm on the edge of bankruptcy and disaster right now - much like I was in Eve towards the end. It's fun but fraught at times.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I haven't even started looking for those, but I'm running a route that gives me about 400-450k Cr per hour. I'll probably try the rares later on.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Rippedgeek

• Clonejack

Hi people

I happened to find this forum with some random Elite Googling - anyway, in case you also started in the LHS 3447 sector, there is a star close(ish) by where I am currently netting 160K every 10 minutes using my 112ton Lakon-6.  Don't know if that is noteworthy, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.  For what it's worth, the star has a sting in it's tail (don't want to mention it by name because I don't want it's economy to be overrun by greedy traders).

Until later
Rippedgeek

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

I tried some small time trading in my Sidewinder, but the cargo hold is woefully small for any major gains, so now I'm focused on bounty hunting to perhaps purchase a cargo ship for bigger hauls, while also working on my piloting skills. I've actually started playing in solo (boo, yeah I know), because other players were mostly only being a nuisance by clogging up docking queues to small outposts and because in solo they aren't kill stealing my bounties (which seriously crimps credits/hour). While I'm a HUGE sandbox/mmo person, I actually think the option of going solo is pretty nice. I'm kinda wondering if that's where everyone is going to end up, except the pirates.

Also, right now the bounty/criminal/black market mechanics seem.. a little bit annoying. I'm considering- obviously - going more or less pirate once I have some more serious cash. The fact that I only have my one commander bugs me though, because I don't want to get locked out of most of the game. That said, I don't think the criminal route should be a cakewalk. I find myself similarly tentative about choosing factions to support (also somewhat because the mechanics around them seem a little obtuse). So, feeling the waters still.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2015, 19:38 by GoGo Yubari »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

I've been hanging out in solo while I continue getting the hang of flying by stick again (it's seriously been 5-6 years since I last really played any flight sims aside from maybe a week or two playing X-Wing Alliance a year or two ago) and will probably stay there for a bit after I get a new stick.

Clogged docking bays is a problem even in solo, though, at least as far as I've found in the last 24 hours. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

I am trying to do Kill Pirates missions, except I always bump into this merchant who offers me an 'alternative', and I can't complete the original mission...

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

I am trying to do Kill Pirates missions, except I always bump into this merchant who offers me an 'alternative', and I can't complete the original mission...

Traders worse than pirates.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Anja Suorsa

• Clonejack
  • N00b

If the star has one, you can find pirates sporadically at Nav Beacons. I haven't bothered with USS unless i'm on an assassination mission.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17