Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39259 times)

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

What's your commander name, Vic?
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Stecker. You?

Game was nice enough to drop me in LHS 3447 with everyone else. After undocking and flying around a little, I docked in a new station (and patted myself on the back for managing my first try in a coriolis station) and discovered that my freagle was there. So that was pretty cool.

Also got interdicted while in supercruise, but managed to hold the escape vector and get away. Was kinda exciting. No idea if it was a bandit that would have picked a fight or just another annoying police officer pulling me over for a quick scan.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 10:47 by Victoria Stecker »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

How does interdicting work? Some sort of hook thing yea? Will police come get you?

Anja Suorsa

• Clonejack
  • N00b

Don't fly anywhere near me, I seem to have accidentally attached supermagnets to my ship; I'm constantly crashing in to everything. Hilarious, but I've racked up so many fines  :(

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

How does interdicting work? Some sort of hook thing yea? Will police come get you?

Interdicting refers to pulling someone out of supercruise. Supercruise is Elite's solution to traveling through realistically sized star systems in a not-terrible amount of time. It allows FTL travel around systems, as opposed to hyperspace jumps that take you between systems (I haven't done this yet, mom came to town for TSO concert yesterday).

So to interdict someone, you have to have an interdictor module mounted, and then you get behind them in supercruise and activate it. And then you get some sorta little minigame where the interdicting pilot tries to keep the target in their sites while their victim tries to point their ship toward a point on their hud that says "escape vector" or something. If the interdicting pilot is more successful, then both ships drop out of supercruise (and take a little hull damage). If the victim is more successful, then the interdicting ship drops out of supercruise and takes hull damage. How much damage each ships takes is, iirc, related to how much of a fight went on. If the victim just cuts throttle to zero and doesn't try to escape, then both ships drop out of SC without damage.

At the moment, interdicting another ship is not considered a criminal act, so you can do it to your heart's content. You will frequently be interdicted by the NPC police who will just pull you over and scan your ship and then leave you to go on your way. This is a bit silly and people have been asking for it to be changed.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

So 'supercruise' analogous to eve 'in warp'?

If they are going so fast how do you, uh, detect them and match their vector? Is all supercruise the 'same' high speed or do some ships 'warp' faster?

Is there an anti interdiction module?

Are giant beefy slow ships harder to dodge the interdiction? Can a tiny ship interdict some huge capital ship?

Just wondering about some of the core mechanics

Star Citizen has been very vague (no surprise there), about how in-system fast travel works, sort of you just point and go and the game will speed up time, and drop you out of fast travel if you come across an object.  Interdicting I think comes down to putting an object in the path of another object to bring them out of fast cruise.  Between system jumps go through jump points, where you get a mini game trying to pilot your ship through the 'tunnel'.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Bearing in mind that I have less than an hour of play time under my belt (plus too many hours of reading stuff online while at work)...

So 'supercruise' analogous to eve 'in warp'?

Except that you can change direction, accelerate and decelerate as desired. Rather than picking a location and pressing buttan, you get up to supercruise and then fly around at speeds ranging from (iirc) 30 km/s to 300c. Those high speeds allow you get to the outer edges of a system, which may be as much as 200,000 LS (light seconds, unit of measure used for stuff that's really far away) in as little as 20 minutes (which is still a fairly dull way to spend 20 minutes).

If they are going so fast how do you, uh, detect them and match their vector? Is all supercruise the 'same' high speed or do some ships 'warp' faster?

Speed in SC is controlled by throttle input. As far as I know, all ships have the same max SC speed and accelerate and decelerate at about the same rate. So catching someone who is already at max speed is just about impossible, but over short trips, people usually aren't going max speed. This is because you have to decelerate to drop back out of SC without taking damage, and it's really really easy to overshoot your target if you don't slow down early.

So if you want to catch up to someone, it is possible. You just need to be willing to go faster than they are and try not to overshoot. If someone is already at max speed, however, you are most likely out of luck. You will need to wait until they start slowing down before you can catch up, and then you'll need to decelerate as well in order to get behind them without overshooting.

Is there an anti interdiction module?

Nope. When interdicted, you get an alert that it's happening and then an escape vector appears on your screen. You do your best to point the nose of your ship toward that escape vector, and if you are successful, you stay in SC.

Are giant beefy slow ships harder to dodge the interdiction? Can a tiny ship interdict some huge capital ship?

I have no idea. I would expect that nimbler ships will have better luck with interdiction, both as aggressor and target, but I can't say for certain. It wouldn't make much sense for that not to be the case given that success is based on maneuvering.

No idea about interdicting capitals, so far I don't think anyone has ever seen one in supercruise.

I think we're all still waiting on more info about how travel will work in star citizen. I'm just glad to have another space game to tide me over while I keep waiting for that one.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

Stecker. You?

Looks my name got approved: Gidion Powell

Like I'm going to remember something I read more than three days ago.

That's why it's so convenient for my wife's name to be included in every email she sends me.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Welp, tried it out. Did the very first tutorial and realized the keyboard and mouse settings are by default utterly retarded. I don't actually mind this, as I'm very much a proponent of flight sticks in games like these, but my Saitek X52 will simply take up way too much desk space right now. Guess I'm giving this a miss until I run out of other things to do.

Orthic

• Wetgraver

So there's a civil war going in Sorbago, and some players got coordinated and made a push for... something. Whatever the anti-Empire side is fighting for. So if there's anyone who feels like getting their "For the Empire!" on, Sorbago is the place to be. Pew pew.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Downloading a copy now.

Gonna mess around with the tutorial then create a player name and such. 

Looking forward to shooting and/or flying with y'all sometime.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Tamiroth

• Wetgraver

CMDR Thelan. Started in LHS 3447. A binary where the more massive star (B) serves as a jump-in point, so every return home is 10 minutes of supercruise and tea sipping from B to A where the actual populated planets are. Made few thousands cred by hauling grain, fruits, liquor and biowaste between the stations around A, then headed out to Arcturus, then to Ross 154 (the default starting point in the 1993 game), then to Sol (Earth is modeled rather crudely, but terraformed Mars is really pretty), then to Lave, scanning all the stuff my map missed data on.

By the arrival at Lave I was ranked as a Scout and was 100-something k credits richer. My upgraded Sidewinder now does 16.something LY per jump. Going to visit the Imperial core next.

Interdictions are actually fun to avoid. Once a pirate caught me fuel scooping from a blue-white subgiant (Abubezel? Beelzebub? That star had a funny name, but I forgot it). The heat was already at 94%, so not only I had to wriggle out of the guy's point, but also try not to fly into the star's photosphere in the process. Got out with the cockpit on fire and 75% hull :D  My little scout is unarmed, but wasn't caught once so far.

Pity that Sirocco Station on Merlin doesn't exist anymore. I wanted to land on Merlin, but hit a glass wall around 3k km from the surface, with a message on the HUD about some boundary reached. Guess it's still better than EVE's fly-through fake celestial bodies.

Jace

• Veteran

These questions may have been answered somewhere in the thread but I'm a lazy bitch. Is there a subscription? Are most of the files in one folder that can be transferred from computer to computer?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

CMDR Thelan. Started in LHS 3447. A binary where the more massive star (B) serves as a jump-in point, so every return home is 10 minutes of supercruise and tea sipping from B to A where the actual populated planets are. Made few thousands cred by hauling grain, fruits, liquor and biowaste between the stations around A, then headed out to Arcturus, then to Ross 154 (the default starting point in the 1993 game), then to Sol (Earth is modeled rather crudely, but terraformed Mars is really pretty), then to Lave, scanning all the stuff my map missed data on.

By the arrival at Lave I was ranked as a Scout and was 100-something k credits richer. My upgraded Sidewinder now does 16.something LY per jump. Going to visit the Imperial core next.

Interdictions are actually fun to avoid. Once a pirate caught me fuel scooping from a blue-white subgiant (Abubezel? Beelzebub? That star had a funny name, but I forgot it). The heat was already at 94%, so not only I had to wriggle out of the guy's point, but also try not to fly into the star's photosphere in the process. Got out with the cockpit on fire and 75% hull :D  My little scout is unarmed, but wasn't caught once so far.

Pity that Sirocco Station on Merlin doesn't exist anymore. I wanted to land on Merlin, but hit a glass wall around 3k km from the surface, with a message on the HUD about some boundary reached. Guess it's still better than EVE's fly-through fake celestial bodies.

Yeah, LHS 3447 is a terrible system, and it's one of the most common starting systems. I'm not sure if that's a horrible idea (start everyone in the worst place) or a brilliant one (make them move out as soon as they figure out how).

Landing on planets is coming eventually, but it's not in yet.

These questions may have been answered somewhere in the thread but I'm a lazy bitch. Is there a subscription? Are most of the files in one folder that can be transferred from computer to computer?

So subscription, just the initial purchase ($60, iirc). Not sure how easily it can be moved between computers, it's a decent sized download/install and it requires an internet connection to play. But I don't recall it taking too long to download, maybe 15 GB.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17