Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: DUST 514  (Read 33102 times)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: DUST 514
« Reply #180 on: 05 Jun 2011, 02:39 »

Right, the list of DUST corps are...

AMARR - Imperial Armaments, Carthum Conglomerate, Viziam
CALDARI - Lai Dai, Wiyrkomi, Kaalakiota
GALLENTE - CreoDron, Duvolle Labs, Allotek Industries (Roden subsidiary)
MINMATAR - Boundless Creations, Core Complexion, Freedom Extension

TonyG said that "while the Gallente can make a laser weapon, for the best, you'd want to go to Viziam"

So, we've seen KK stuff so far? The Forever trailer has that turret that gets destroyed, and that looks Gallente at least.

Yea i know that

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #181 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:04 »

Honestly, conceptual questions aside, making this thing PS3-exclusive was one of the dumbest things CCP could have done. In the aftermath of the latest intrusion into PSN, hopefully CCP will reconsider...

Hipster rats tbh.  "Pfft, you other rats have no idea what good is, jumping off of that sinking ship.  I'm jumping ON it!"

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #182 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:09 »

I ...

* Own a PS3. And am happy with it. THBBBBBT!

* Love a good FPS-- particularly if it's got a good stealth component.

* Don't agree with the "bittervets" on most game-related subjects, and certainly not on this one.

Let me put it to you straight: if CCP were as incompetent as you people let on, Eve would not be "dying" at some time in the distant, misty future. It would not be struggling with hosts of bugs. It would be dead. Now. In the present. More likely still, it would have been vaporware, an aborted mass of unworkable code that never saw the light of day.

Far as I can tell, today's CCP = good (though not always excellent) people working with bad code. If they weren't, you people wouldn't have a good game to whine about, and, if you did, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

However, I'm happy enough to see these folks crying apocalypse: at this rate of lowering expectations, if CCP delivers a flawed but enjoyable product we'll be able to count it as a massive win.

* Am looking forward to hearing CCP's plans, one way or another. The company's not short on vision. What remains to be seen (as always) is whether they can pull it off.

And ...

* Am willing to withhold judgment on their efforts until I actually see something more than a preview. Back in the day, Devil May Cry 2 looked pretty damn gorgeous until you actually PLAYED the goddamn disappointing piece of ... you get the idea. Correspondingly, the Chronicles of Riddick games seemed to have a great deal running against them (not least being the curse of the movie license), but turned out rather well.

I'll be taking the "wait and see" approach, friends.

*Applause!*

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #183 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:50 »

My big fear is that with Sony and the PSN going down in flames, even if CCP releases an excellent game, it won't survive the crashing and burning of Sony to every hacker in the underground.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #184 on: 05 Jun 2011, 13:54 »

You may forget that even though PSN security was proven atrocious, Sony is a favorite hacking target for past grievances against the techy community: rootkit software in the mid-00's, attempting to lockdown PS3 firmware hacks, lawsuits etc.

Xbox Live is just as vulnerable, perhaps with just a little more work involved, and certainly something a group like LulzSec or Annon could pull off.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2011, 13:57 by Kyoko Sakoda »

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #185 on: 05 Jun 2011, 14:55 »

Aria Jenneth has pretty much said everything I could ever want to say on this matter.  i applaud your mature and cerebral evaluation of the facts as we see them.

I would have preferred to have seen a cross-platform implementation (if it turns out it is PS3 exclusive), but precedent has shown us that Microsoft has poor response to 'outsider' marketing and deployment strategies (note I am not saying whether or not they are justified in holding this policy, merely that they do).  Eitherway, I will enjoy this addition to the universe, either as a player should I enjoy the game, or as an observer, seeing the CCP crafter Universe increase in depth beyond the space-borne game as we know it. 

EvE has, if you listen to bittervets, always been dying.  EvE is dead.  Long live EvE!

Hurs Sokira

« Reply #186 on: 05 Jun 2011, 16:33 »

* Don't agree with the "bittervets" on most game-related subjects, and certainly not on this one.

Far as I can tell, today's CCP = good (though not always excellent) people working with bad code. If they weren't, you people wouldn't have a good game to whine about, and, if you did, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

WTB: Rose-Colored Glasses (Oh, wait, now I can! Microtransactions FTW!  :roll:

Seriously, let me get this straight... CCP are good people working with bad code? Where is that bad code appears from? CCP writes excellent, well-documented, reliable code, but this code then falls under influence of bad people and falls with the wrong crowd and goes bad?

What about LOLsecure forums? Or boot.ini fiasco? Was this "bad code" planted by original devs? Or was this the result of gross incompetence of current "good" people?

I am writing this angry stuff because I still believe that original concept EVE can be saved from the scourge of the current (mis)management. And speaking of maturity... Customers need to be mature enough not to be distracted by CCP dangling shiny stuff in front of their noses. "Oh, look, pencil skirts! Pink thoraxes!"

:bash:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #187 on: 05 Jun 2011, 18:12 »

[mod]Please try to keep your posts within the rules - including when posting about CCP staff. See the FAQ if you need more.[/mod]

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #188 on: 05 Jun 2011, 18:29 »

I am writing this angry stuff because I still believe that original concept EVE can be saved from the scourge of the current (mis)management. And speaking of maturity... Customers need to be mature enough not to be distracted by CCP dangling shiny stuff in front of their noses. "Oh, look, pencil skirts! Pink thoraxes!"

Maturity and priority are two wildly separate things. I'll spend my money on what I want to as a consumer, thank you very much. You're entirely missing the point: CCP is a business. They don't care what one customer thinks. They might care about what a percentage of customers thinks, but certainly not one.

If you have a difference of opinion, state it, AND BACKUP YOUR ASSERTIONS.

Immaturity is revealed in veiled threats such as "if X is not fixed I'm leaving the game." Immaturity is posting bile on the forums, official or otherwise. EVE is not shifting from its current track, whether you think that's good or bad. If you think that's bad, close your accounts, shut up, and move to some other game.

And by the way, boot.ini was not the only fiasco to hit the game industry. There have been games in the past (and Windows updates too) that have entirely trashed Windows installs to the point that recovery without formatting was impossible. boot.ini was recoverable from Safe Mode as far as I remember.

Hurs Sokira

« Reply #189 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:02 »

If you have a difference of opinion, state it, AND BACKUP YOUR ASSERTIONS.
CCP cares enough to switch from "number of subscriptions" metric to "revenues"  metric. CCP cares enough to introduce Microtransactions in attempts to maintain short-term cash flow.
CCP cares enough to look for position of Technical Director - Dust514, just as the title is about to be announced at E3.

Those are not opinions, those are FACTS. Do those look to you as actions of a business that is healthy? Can you back up YOUR ASSERTIONS that everything is just peachy? Or we just going to be so very excited about corp logos on Dust dropships and pencil skirts?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #190 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:30 »

Very much too early to spout prophecy about Dust. Nice concept, but I'll have to agree that I am skeptical. However, I don't share the utter doom and gloom outlooks on FPS players either. It's not like Eve has a huge audience either in the grand scheme of things, but it certainly has found its niche. Maybe Dust will, too. I do though greatly dislike that it's not going to be a PC product.

Quote from: Hurs Sokira link=topic=2185.msg32173#msg32173
CCP cares enough to switch from "number of subscriptions" metric to "revenues"  metric. CCP cares enough to introduce Microtransactions in attempts to maintain short-term cash flow.

They're not switching the entire revenue model. They are adding new sources of income. That's something entirely congruent with just about everyone else in the MMO industry too, so I'm not at all amazed.

It takes a graphic design intern two weeks to create some funky new art asset which can then be sold for the equivalent of five euros. That's one powerful money making scheme for the industry (which Blizzard has been really getting into lately, to name one company probably making wild moneyz off this).

Microtransactions are still kind of a new thing for companies and they're all piling to milk the fat cow. This can be handled well or it can be handled badly, but just offering "Rose Tinted Glasses" to your avatar for real money isn't going to destroy the game.

The fact that you can legally buy ISK in Eve is an interesting conundrum and one which has already existed in-game (without causing server wide chaos) for quite some time. I say the jury is still open on how that plays out, but the fact that there isn't rioting on the streets is one indicator.

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #191 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:33 »

Personally, I am looking forward to see what Dust and its connection to Eve will have to offer. The realm of possibilities is expansive.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #192 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:43 »

And yes, I dont know how DUST is meant to be sustainable. EVE you can update, but how do you stop DUST from becoming outdated and outrun?

DLC and Digitial Distribution solve that problem completely. Updates and additional content are easily supplied.

I'm interested to see where Dust 514 goes, given the fact it was touted as being xbox exclusive at first given CCP's close relations with Microsoft for PC development of Eve.

Now we're seeing Sony logos on things, it's going to get politically interesting.

As for DUST itself, I'll see what it's like. It's an awesome concept, but many awesome concepts have fallen flat on their face through shit implementation.

As a veteran player who's been here since a month after release, personally I love Eve and I'd love it to succeed. However at the  same time I'm sceptical because there's so many things that are horrendously broken in Eve, and they're being completely ignored in favour of pouring new (and likewise unpolished content) into the melting pot.

I'm apprehensive, to say the least.

Hurs Sokira

« Reply #193 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:55 »

Microtransactions are still kind of a new thing for companies and they're all piling to milk the fat cow. This can be handled well or it can be handled badly, but just offering "Rose Tinted Glasses" to your avatar for real money isn't going to destroy the game.

You know what else was "kind of new thing"? Credit Default Swaps. And companies all piled in to milk the fat cow, while general public was donning rose-colored glasses. "Interest-only mortgage? Sign me up! How can I possibly lose?!"

Just like banking, gaming industry, especially MMOs are confidence games. Once customer base loses confidence in the product and/or developer, the collapse comes quickly and irreversibly.

The fact that you can legally buy ISK in Eve is an interesting conundrum and one which has already existed in-game (without causing server wide chaos) for quite some time.

First of all, PLEX != Microtransactions. Those are completely different animals. PLEX to ISK and back to PLEX are transactions between players that are merely guaranteed by CCP. One player essentially pays for the time of the other. In MTs, CCP conjures up an item out of a thin air, and then this item enters the regular ISK market.

Blizzard can milk the MTs because their games do not have massively complex player-based economies. CCP has demonstrated time and again that they have frighteningly little understanding on how their actions will affect game world (one latest example being Dominion, where Sov changes caused exactly opposite effect that was intended).

I say the jury is still open on how that plays out, but the fact that there isn't rioting on the streets is one indicator.

There was no rioting on the streets when CDSs were issued either (expect for few economists screaming bloody murder), mostly because "people on the streets" are too dumb/busy to understand long-term effects of such changes.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2011, 19:58 by Hurs Sokira »

Crucifire

« Reply #194 on: 05 Jun 2011, 19:56 »

And yes, I dont know how DUST is meant to be sustainable. EVE you can update, but how do you stop DUST from becoming outdated and outrun?
DLC and Digitial Distribution solve that problem completely. Updates and additional content are easily supplied.
Until the console generation leaps foward again, which I wager we'll start hearing about in a year or two, then what? Another game on the shelves entirely? Dust 514 Two?

I really want to be excited for this shit, I really do. I'd love to get some of my friends into New Eden one way or another and Dust 514 could be the perfect vehicle for that. Just seems like there a lot of hurdles it will have to cross in order to keep up with the console FPS market let alone the life expectancy of EVE Online itself.

And I only wish I were a bitter vet, I haven't been around that long yet.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2011, 19:59 by Crucifire »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19