Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Author Topic: In case you have not seen this yet...  (Read 2807 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
In case you have not seen this yet...
« on: 21 Jun 2011, 13:46 »

...here is the link to the DEv-comment page about the new turret-features. I am, to put it mildly... impressed.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=928&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=update&utm_content=devblog&utm_campaign=eveonline

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: In case you have not seen this yet...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2011, 13:49 »

As I mentioned on reddit, I dunno how much use this will really get after the first few days, when everyone will of course "ooh" and "ahh" over it. We'll see how it plays out.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2011, 13:59 »

Most of 'em are pretty neat.  I appreciate the new variety.  More shiny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPt_nNI0HA0

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2011, 14:09 »

The turret colour adoption is f**king genius.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2011, 14:33 »

Auto-Punishers; Ugly Matari turrets on an Amarrian ship. Colours meshes so horribly while auto-cannons on any Minmatar ship looked natural and cool. Not any more. It may be an auto-cannon, but in this case an Imperial-made and coloured turret and it looks alot, alot better.

Same for Laser/Auto myrmidons and Projectile-tooting Caldari ships etc. Personally I'm flagging this as a brilliant new addition that will really help on the visuals. I'm also exited to see the Maller get a new skin, I really hated the old skin, to be honest.

Much good stuff here. The problem will be how CQ works out and the new forced upping of graphic demands, iirc. If I can get over these, the added fatures will be over-all positive.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2011, 15:12 »

Auto-Punishers; Ugly Matari turrets on an Amarrian ship. Colours meshes so horribly while auto-cannons on any Minmatar ship looked natural and cool. Not any more. It may be an auto-cannon, but in this case an Imperial-made and coloured turret and it looks alot, alot better.

Same for Laser/Auto myrmidons and Projectile-tooting Caldari ships etc. Personally I'm flagging this as a brilliant new addition that will really help on the visuals. I'm also exited to see the Maller get a new skin, I really hated the old skin, to be honest.

Much good stuff here. The problem will be how CQ works out and the new forced upping of graphic demands, iirc. If I can get over these, the added fatures will be over-all positive.

I honestly havent had, nor really dedicated much time to going over the new features. Based purely on what I just read from your post, I am now drooling.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2011, 17:13 »

The new turret features are a much-welcomed addition to the game here, not just because of the shiny new turret animations (though they're always welcome) but because this represents a difficult endeavor for CCP: Going back into something that has existed since the game's earliest days, picking an issue that may have been satisfactory in 2003 but has developed cracks over the years, and completely rebuilding it up from the nuts and bolts. Given all the complaining we give CCP about abandoning fixing older features in favor of NEW! SHINY! features, it was refreshing to see them simply go and tear an inadequate feature out to completely replace it instead of papering over the cracks.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:30 »

I'm honestly much more excited about the new turrets them I am about walking in motel rooms. They're really cool, and the colour changes are sheer brilliance.

Also:

Quote from: CCP Salvo
Originally there were more turrets planned, like Targeted and Area-of-Effect Utility turrets, the first being an omnidirectional emitter visible on the ship's hull, covering effects such as Energy Vampires, Target Painters, Remote Repairers, etc. (in an attempt to correct the beams starting from a mysterious point in space somewhere around your ship, since we really disliked the whole "ships casting spells" effect they produced), and the latter for focusing the effects like ECM and Sensor Boosters on a visible module on the ship, making them smaller and less obtrusive as a whole. Missile Launchers too were included in the initial plan, but all of these had to be scoped out of the first release due to complexity and time constraints.

Sure, they were cut from this release, but its still something they want to do, damn, excitement and such.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2011, 18:43 »

Yes, this provides a framework for future iterations where they'll build on it and create more awesome stuff.

Fool me once, etc. This is what we are getting.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:11 »

They dangle a shiny set of keys and the punters are happy.

Just like sounds in EVE, I have never had turret animations on.

Useless fluff.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aodha Khan

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:23 »

When I'm playing Eve I don't zoom in to look at my turrets. Agreed with lallara, useless, just like CQ.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:24 »

I have LOD on low and don't see any turrets unless I'm zoomed in pretty much all the way.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2011, 16:53 »

They dangle a shiny set of keys and the punters are happy.

Just like sounds in EVE, I have never had turret animations on.

Useless fluff.

I, on the other hand, play with both sound AND turrets, and have done for... six years now? One man's trash, and all that.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:15 »

Although I really do like the new turrets, I guess I don't see how this can really be called a 'feature'.

Incursion 'feature' list:

1. CQ - "Step out of your pod and into your own personal capsuleer suite, filled with the tools and toys that every pilot's pad should have"
2. Mirror - "Browsing through your wardrobe and changing your appearance is a matter of simply stepping up to the mirror and clicking"
3. New Player Experience - "New players will embark on an improved tutorial mission designed to provide an epic and engaging experience"
4. NeX - "Luxury items, rarities and articles of distinction can be purchased through the Noble Exchange (NeX), a boutique for the discriminating capsuleer, available in each station"
5. Maller Model - "The Imperial Navy has redressed some of its cruiser-class ships, unveiling sleek new architecture and sophisticated detailing for the Maller, Sacrilege and Devoter "
6. Turrets - "New models and animations were created for most combat and industrial turrets currently in-game"
7. ECM NPCs - "We've rebalanced the number of ECM NPCs in a wide range of missions, especially the lower tier missions"
8. Jumpbridge changes - "We've limited jumpbridges to one per system. we've also increased their fuelbay to 30,000m2"
9. Faction vs Faction standings - "Due to popular demand, we've re-introduced a standings tab for factions"
10. Performance Improvements - "blah blah blah."

My rather unhappy translation of how I see it -

1. CQ - New way to use existing menu items.  News screen is pretty cool. But, Mitty breaks her Amarr coat when she walks, it clips something awful by her butt/thighs.
2. Mirror - Wow, a whole bullet point for pointing out you can customize your toon by clicking a mirror instead of a station service icon. Just, wow.
3. New Player Experience - I'm not new, so cannot comment
4. NeX - Hmm... A couple fitted battleships... or a shirt? Let me think...
5. Maller Model - An existing ship gets a very un-Amarr new look, sigh
6. Turrets - Pretty nice looking
7. ECM NPCs - cannot comment
8. Jumpbridge changes - Hmm... A code check and a database update, yippee.
9. Faction vs Faction standings - Hurray! Turning back on a feature we already had and was taken away.  :roll:
10. Performa - At least it's something.

Am I going to ragequit?  No. I like shooting stuff, and I really want Incarna to be cool( player made cloths/shops etc ).  The only space affecting changes were the ECM NPCs, Jumpbridges, and performance changes.  Everything else was artwork, which don't get me wrong, is real cool and all, but hardly a 'feature'.

/rant
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 02:38 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"