Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: DUST 514  (Read 33064 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: DUST 514
« Reply #270 on: 08 Jun 2011, 11:06 »

Shadowrun had this from the start.  I never played it, but there was concern that the precision of a mouse would put the console users at a disadvantage vs the PC users.  There may have been a mechanic to limit it, but it was there.

This is why you can't have console and PC shooters play with each other. The advantage that the mouse gives means that an above-average PC player is on par with the best console gamers*, and an excellent PC gamer can't be touched by anyone on a console. I've yet to hear of a game that found a way to balance this and permit them to play competitively together.

*Note: Refering to looking around and aiming, obviously a PC doesn't automatically make you smart.

But you can get a mouse for consoles? Doesn't that cause the same issue?

Plumb

• Clonejack
« Reply #271 on: 08 Jun 2011, 12:47 »

Going back 12 pages... Kamikaze and suicide attacks? AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!

In all honesty I doubt i'll play Dust. I prefer the xbox 360 exclusives to any of the PS3 ones and thus I can't justify paying 54 gazzillion pounds to buy a PS3 for only one game. I also have serious doubts about the long term prospects of this game, even with expansions. I don't see it as something that the average console gamer would play for a long period of time, in which case it'll end up just being Eve Online's own community playing the game. I'm not a software developer or computer engineer, but I don't think such low player numbers will justify keeping the game's servers going for any long period of time. I could end up being proved wrong, i'll certainly be watching how this game develops.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #272 on: 08 Jun 2011, 17:50 »

I'm less concerned about the PS3 (which I don't own) than I am about latency. Living on the arse end of the internets, I've long ago given up on network twitch games where my average ping is 200ms.

World of Tanks was tolerable using auto-aim except in snap-shot situations, since turret rotation etc wasn't affected by ping time.

Counterstrike sucked big-time.

I'm not really expecting them to have NZ servers, and if they do, I can't see an equitable way for us to play against Euro players. I'm expecting that they might have servers in the US and Euro, but that it's also possible that they'll just have a big server farm in the UK and it will suck to be in NZ.

Which might mean that the best Dust corps will be Euro based, though I'm not entirely sure about that.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #273 on: 08 Jun 2011, 18:47 »

I'm not really expecting them to have NZ servers, and if they do, I can't see an equitable way for us to play against Euro players. I'm expecting that they might have servers in the US and Euro, but that it's also possible that they'll just have a big server farm in the UK and it will suck to be in NZ.
Except the servers are like Eve?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #274 on: 08 Jun 2011, 19:25 »

Except the servers are like Eve?

I don't understand your comment. Could you please explain how that's relevant?

If Eve PVP depended more on reaction times, I probably wouldn't bother playing.  I know people here who gave up on frigate combat because the pace of it made our ping times relevant. Oh, and catching people on gates is fairly uncommon too. I do find when a fleet is moving at best speed that I fall behind (even in a theoretically faster aligning ship sometimes) because it takes longer to load the new system, and to jump etc, but once you tell your ship to start shooting, the rest of it is handled at the server end.

I expect that it would be possible for CCP to set up servers around the world for each little sub-combat, as the only way to try to give players like the WoT players I heard who whine when their ping time goes above 85ms, an experience that they'll stick with.

If they connect to the Eve Cluster to get jobs and buy stuff and run chat channels and all that stuff, and then hand-off to a local(ish) server for the combat, then that might be one way to do it, and the results can be handed back to the Eve Cluster and incorporated.  That's a Wild Arsed Guess based on knowing a little about computers and not very much about Eve networking.

I expect that it's more likely that they'll all be based in the UK, but then they'll need to be clever about how they manage different network latencies for their different customers, or else Euro-zone gets an advantage, in which case I probably won't bother.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2011, 19:34 by Ulphus »
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #275 on: 08 Jun 2011, 20:36 »

I misunderstood/was lazy in my reading of what you said.  I now understand and agree with your position.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #276 on: 09 Jun 2011, 01:57 »

Used to outrun my scouts when I was a ship class larger than them checking in. 

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #277 on: 21 Jun 2011, 12:07 »

I'm not a software developer or computer engineer, but I don't think such low player numbers will justify keeping the game's servers going for any long period of time. I could end up being proved wrong, i'll certainly be watching how this game develops.

I believe the entire Socom series from PS2 is still online. Probably about 1000 people playing Socom 1.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #278 on: 22 Jun 2011, 18:52 »

It takes a graphic design intern two weeks to create some funky new art asset which can then be sold for the equivalent of five euros. That's one powerful money making scheme for the industry (which Blizzard has been really getting into lately, to name one company probably making wild moneyz off this).

Just remembered what I wrote some time back and decided to re-comment on it now that Incarna is here with the macro transactions and monoclegate.

Think about it. How long does it take for a graphic artist to create that monocle? Not long. What are they doing, trying to recoup the costs with price of up to five monocles? As an example, Blizzard introduces far more complex models into the game and sells them for far less money (making far more money in the process, though).

I'm just flabbergasted at what's going on.

Citizen 31

« Reply #279 on: 22 Jun 2011, 19:47 »

Just remembered what I wrote some time back and decided to re-comment on it now that Incarna is here with the macro transactions and monoclegate.

Think about it. How long does it take for a graphic artist to create that monocle? Not long. What are they doing, trying to recoup the costs with price of up to five monocles? As an example, Blizzard introduces far more complex models into the game and sells them for far less money (making far more money in the process, though).

I'm just flabbergasted at what's going on.
It's not just artists.  It's programmers, the fact that the artist could be working on other projects, etc.  If they have a small art budget and have nothing else at the moment for an artist to do, how do they justify keeping them around?

Items for Microtransactions.

I think it says more about the state of CCP's development that they are at this point.  Without any real word on the WoD MMO, which will be using (presumably) the same artist that are working on the NEX stuff, they have to justify keeping them on staff.  Not just to the players, but to the all-important investors and bean counters.

For an example of how this normally works:

Star Trek Online

They have a very small design team, and one ship artist.  They have a couple costume artists.  But you also have to think about the coding, the QA, etc. that would have to be done to make this all work.  Sure, it could take a couple weeks to get an outfit made, but how long would it take to implement?

It's not just one artist you have to consider, it's the development resources going into the art that the artist creates.  Again, QA, programming etc.  It's not as simple as you'd think.

However, does this justify the whole microtransaction scheme?  Possibly... because CCP is a corporation that's out to make profit.  It's not about recouping cost for development; it's about seeing a return on investment.

Sadly, CCP has the same problem now as they have always had; managing expectations of their players.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]