Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces  (Read 8133 times)

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
Re: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces
« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2010, 00:43 »

I thought it was incredibly cleverly written, actually. I'll sum up what I babbled about in OOC:

We know that in the Amarr Empire, religion isn't so much a practice as a way of life. Unlike in Western society, which is sociopolitically secular while people choose to be religious, spiritual or atheistic, Amarrian faith is worked into every aspect of daily life.The Theology Council is the core of spiritual leadership in the Empire; the people look to them in every theological matter -- in other words, the activities of daily life.We really do not have an Earthly comparison to it.

A person who has faith -- solid faith, self-questioned, researched and accepted in the end -- is not the sort of person who can simply give it up; it takes a catastrophic change in circumstances, doubt so corrosive it's more a virus than a state of mind.

Bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this.

The clown's ex-wife mentions that he's afraid to upset the Theology Council. One of his sponsors is a member of the Kor-Azor family. I'll repeat that: the Kor-Azor Family. These are not minor holders, the clown is not a minor entertainment personality. He's someone who has proven his faith and whose ministry to the children of the Empire is approved of by the Theology Council.

Do you see where this is going?

His daughter is kidnapped in order to force him to renounce his faith in a live broadcast across the Empire. In front of billions of children, whose parents trust in the Theology Council to guide their way of life. The Council's ire would be the least of the resulting problems; in fact,they'd probably have far greater concerns than one disgraced entertainer -- and his highly-placed sponsors, who would also be disgraced and likely out for blood.

For someone with such unshakeable faith to openly denounce it would imply a sudden and deep doubt in the very basis of Amarrian life; the root of which would be seen as the fault of the Theology Council. They approved the guy, after all. You'd have billions of people suddenly losing a little faith in the ability of the Council to minister to their spiritual lives. It would cause an upheaval in Amarrian society which would take YEARS to iron out, and things would never be the same.

Well done, Jasonitas. He's not actually that new, Seri, I met him at FanFest last year :)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2010, 05:41 »

CCP should just write a chron similar to Dark End of Space, showing a day-in-the-life of one citizen of each of the four factions...

So many easy ways to reveal stuff about PF >_> But I guess CCP wants us to use our imaginations

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2010, 13:58 »

Well, if you really want CCP to stop assuming we're adults who are capable of logical reasoning and just start spoonfeeding us everything... GB2WoW  :P

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2010, 16:15 »

Well, if you really want CCP to stop assuming we're adults who are capable of logical reasoning and just start spoonfeeding us everything... GB2WoW  :P

AUCH - uncalled for :P

Also, thanks. I like this cronicle even better now - I missed that part about his sponsors etc.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2010, 22:51 »

I like the last sentence; it really underscores his feelings in an artful manner.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl
« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:12 »

AUCH - uncalled for :P

Also, thanks. I like this cronicle even better now - I missed that part about his sponsors etc.
Part of what I love about Eve is how subtle the background information can be, bits and pieces seeded through the fiction. If it was all neatly organised and catalogued from the start, there'd be hardly any reason to continue reading.

The LACK of detailed information feeds diversity in Eve roleplay, since we're all kind of making it up as we go. We have a vast variety of characters, backgrounds and lifestyles depicted in the RP community because there is no document giving the specifics of daily life. As it should be, since with a hundred inhabited worlds and thousands of stations, each containing thousands to billions of people, there will be countless cultures existing under the aegis of their empire.

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
« Reply #36 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:45 »

I know, a bit of necromancing on my part here, but I actually thought that this chron has also shown very well that those kids aren't really that innocent anymore...
“Yes, I am. I watch it every day.” The girl’s face flushed a dark crimson as she moved her hands behind her back and straightened her posture. “I named my favorite slave after Mr. Wayward.”

Cherall’s smile softened slightly as he continued to search through the desk, opening another drawer and sticking his hand deep into its recesses. “That’s very clever of you. Does your daddy mind that you renamed one of his slaves?”

“No, not at all. He finds it rather amusing, as do I.” The girl waved back and forth lightly on her heels as she talked.
Just for fun they take away a slave's real name, taking away the very last bit of dignity he might have. Those kids are on their way to turn out as even bigger monsters then their parents.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 20 Aug 2011, 11:22 »

I probably shouldn't add to the necromancy here, but I would have to disagree about the innocent part.  Innocence doesn't really mean being moral.  It just means you don't know any better.  An innocent child will think nothing of frying ants until someone tells them what they are really doing.  Yes, we look at taking someone's name away as cruel, but the kid doesn't know any better.  To her, slaves are people you order around and who have to obey you.  She probably thinks its a funny name to give her favorite slave.   If you went thought this section and replaced the word slave with the word dog, I doubt any of us would think twice about renaming a dog Mr Wayward.  We would probably think it was funny too.  That a bit of a simplistic example, but I hope it gets my point across. 

Actually, this passage reminds me of a scene from Roots, where a girl had gotten the house slaves to be animals for her Christmas play.  Once one of the slaves told her they didn't like doing that, she stopped it. 

Not the really defend the Amarr or slavery though, I just wanted to point that out. 

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #38 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:36 »

Yeah, what Saikoyu said, I highly doubt the child is aware that they are being "evil", as slaves is very much apart of their known world. No one is there to tell them that slavery is perhaps wrong, as there is no moral compass that exists following a liberal approach of anti-slavery.

Would a child that wears Nike trainers be evil because Nike uses oppressive labour methods in Southeast Asia? Stuff like that.

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
« Reply #39 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:42 »

Maybe, but still: Those children are not innocent anymore, because of that show they are losing their innocence

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2011, 04:56 »

There are no such realities as good and evil in New Eden.

Just like in real life.

People work with the concepts and the facts that they possess, that is why propaganda works.

Even your concepts of good and evil, right or wrong, innocence and decadence, have been taught to you.

Very few things that you actually know are universal.

Good and evil are very low in that ladder of universal concepts.

Those used to be the 'rules' that New Eden worked with before... it all turned to a space opera.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:08 »

There are no such realities as good and evil in New Eden.

Just like in real life.

People work with the concepts and the facts that they possess, that is why propaganda works.

Even your concepts of good and evil, right or wrong, innocence and decadence, have been taught to you.

Very few things that you actually know are universal.

Good and evil are very low in that ladder of universal concepts.

Those used to be the 'rules' that New Eden worked with before... it all turned to a space opera.

Sure thing. It just bothered me that everywhere I look people declare the Bloody Hand as the bad guys and the clown as the hero in this story but, but fail to notice that he is actually corrupting those children

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:26 »

No he is not.

He is teaching them what he believes to be right.

You perceive him corrupting them from your own worldview.

You could argue that anyone that teaches that there is a divinity is corrupting people and not allowing them to reach emotional balance and self sufficiency that is the birthright of every human.

But that is just a viewpoint, based on a worldview.

There are people using these boards that actually know in their heart of hearts that the argument above is completely and utterly false, while there are people on these boards that know it to be completely and utterly true.

Throwing around strong words like corruption, just show your personal viewpoint on the issue and how you are emotionally invested in your own worldview and perceive it to be right.

I guess what I am trying to get through is when you proclaim your viewpoint to be right, by the choice of the concepts that you are using to convey your viewpoint, you try to force other people to share your view... which to me is not right.

The children are innocent in the chron, the fact that one of them has named a slave as character from the show actually proves it.

Innocence is not about being without Sin, Innocence is doing something and not knowing better.

Innocence is pretty much a religious term and Adam was perfectly innocent in the bible when he had sex with every living thing in the Garden of Eden before God created Eve for him. Both of them were innocent and could do just about anything until they ate the Forbidden Fruit which made them know better.

I'm better go get some brekkies before I spend the whole fecking day here :D

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
« Reply #43 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:34 »

Wowowow, hold your horses, I did NOT want to start a discussion on religion here, but on those kids and how they treat other humans.

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 22 Aug 2011, 06:00 »

To those kids slaves are not humans.

Because they are told so.

By the nice man on the telly.

Just like all the kids in real world are told what is right and wrong by the nice man on the telly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4