Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces  (Read 8135 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
[Chronicle] Innocent Faces
« on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:23 »

http://www.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=09-08-10

*throws hissyfit*

Not how I imagined Amarr media to be like at all...maybe it's Gallentean cultural permutation? I mean...gah...

Given I think the writer is new, so, might cut him some slack.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
Re: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:57 »

Good chron. Kinda sad.

guessing we're going to be seeing more of 'The Bloody Hand of Matar' in the future?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2010, 11:35 »

*throws hissyfit*

Not how I imagined Amarr media to be like at all...maybe it's Gallentean cultural permutation? I mean...gah...

On the contrary I rather appreciate that Amarrian cultural values are present in a situation one doesn't easily imagine in a monolithic society such as the Amarr.

It would be dull to follow the established archetype of the Amarr to a T, so introducing a spin on what is present in their society while still maintaining the core vlaues is alright.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2010, 13:07 »

I thought it was good, touching in a sad way.  I'm not religious so I can't understand the belief that this man must have in his faith, but it's a terribly emotional thing.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2010, 13:33 »

I liked it. Who doesn't like clowns anyway? :P

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2010, 14:09 »

Second opinion...

It does reveal what "everyday" Amarr might be like...or at least, the modern sectors of society. What turned me off Amarr RP (though they are my 2nd fave behind Caldari) is they came across very 'anachronistically'...and didn't seem very suiting...however, given modern behemoth nations like India and China, it fits...for these countries have a mixture of both ultra-modern areas, as well as backwater regions (which, in Amarr sense, would be the sort of places from Merely Disassembled)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2010, 14:40 »

I think there is room for a lot of variation, not only in local culture etc, but in things like media too. I'm curious how the chron didn't fit your idea of Amarr media, Seri. Did you not think that the Amarr had children's shows? That they would just be sermons, or?

I'm a bit torn on the religious elements. One the one hand, they seem a little clumsy. Not all of it, but a couple of the specific lines etc. On the other, if popular media (or perhaps even just certain channels) tend to integrate the religious element, then to someone who was raise (or being raised) in that environment, it wouldn't seem odd or clumsy at all, most likely. Just imagine the theme of 'sharing' you might find on a kids program, and replace it with 'slavery'  :P. Also, certain apparently religious expressions - 'Children of God' for example - might be so commonly used that they are entirely natural even if they seem stilted to a cultural outsider at first read.

I like that the host's motivations are somewhat up for debate - and may indeed be mixed. He has his duty, which is the reason he uses, but there is also potentially fear of the Theology Council. A primary point I think, which has been established before, but a bit of re-emphasis is nice, is that the Amarr - just like everyone else - see themselves as the good guys.

On the PF front, we have confirmation of the Minmatar needing to 'earn' god's favor. We also have the 'Bleeding Hearts of Matar' - is this the first time they've been mentioned?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2010, 14:49 »

*throws hissyfit*

Honestly? Come now Seri I expected a bit more open-mindedness from you.

[spoiler]The cronicle was good. Pretty damn good actually - from the fact the Matari terrorists found a pretty vulnerable spot in the Amarrian society to strike at, to the reaction of the clown and his inner struggles to make a choice, and the reaction of his ex-wife, and the entire show itself.

But most of all it was good because it helped enforce what we all knew - at the end of the day, Amarrian's are human too, mis-guided perhaps, in a society that's far less fair than anyone of us are used too, but still fundamentally a creation of the human mind. I feel many players - or atl their characters - forget this all the time, and simply assume all Amarrians are fundamentally evil and deserve to die. My own used to forget this at times, only to regret later and add more to his personal issues.[/spoiler]

Adding a more human element to the 'ebil' Empire is a very nice touch. I wanna see more of this. For all factions.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2010, 15:57 »

Well I posted my second opinion there. Just my opinion of Empire was something more medieval...I mean if you compare the ACN Coronation trailer to that chron, seems a bit inconsistent.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2010, 16:09 »

I think when dealing with something as large as the Empire (and it doesn't get larger, really) a certain broadness of perspective might be beneficial.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2010, 16:11 »

Well I posted my second opinion there. Just my opinion of Empire was something more medieval...I mean if you compare the ACN Coronation trailer to that chron, seems a bit inconsistent.

Well, yeah -- but the chronicle depicts a children's show while the ACN was the coronation of the empress. They're entirely different things.

Compare, say, the Teletubbies to a RL coronation and then argue inconsistency.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2010, 16:57 »

The Empire consists of >40 % of humanity in New Eden.

Homogenous, it is not.
\o/

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2010, 00:55 »

Was I the only one who thought that the Book of Reclaiming quote was rather close to Sahtogas apocrypha? As in, possibly even the same origins, but different interpretation?

And yes, "most disappointing" that a Gallente cartoon channel doesn't sound like the Senate in session.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2010, 04:15 »

Quote from: Seriphyn
*throws hissyfit*

Evangelical Christian media includes Rock, Rap, even Metal music, all devoted to worship.
They make movies too. Action, Drama, Comedy. They are lame as hell, but they are there.
Children's shows with a hard religious bent just like the one portrayed in the Chron actually exist. I had to watch them when I was a kid (Ugh). Dr. Adad's show reeks of familiarity to me.
The biggest LAN party I ever went to was hosted by a Church.

Religion may try to attack cultural advancement for a while, but inevitably, it tries to harness it for it's own purposes. Otherwise, religion is rejected by the new generations.

All of this is present day stuff. Why does the fact that it would exist 30,000 years from now confuse anyone?

I can't STAND these notions that all Amarrians do all day is sit on bended knee in a chapel, sing hymns, and rape slaves.
People really do have lazy imaginations.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2010, 04:19 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:03 »

I thought it was a good chronicle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4