Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces  (Read 8134 times)

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
Re: [Chronicle] Innocent Faces
« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:43 »

Brought to my mind the old communist state circuses and I am inclined to view it as pretty unsurprising and entirely in keeping with Amarr culture.

A good chronicle.

Cos

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:27 »

I can't STAND these notions that all Amarrians do all day is sit on bended knee in a chapel, sing hymns, and rape slaves.
People really do have lazy imaginations.

I hear ya. I tire of that too and I'm not even RP'ing an Amarrian... :roll:

I nearly wish I could say 'I feel your pain' but I don't, closest I get is supposed RP'ers constantly reffering to my char as Gallente and all the things they assume Gallente folks do. Fucking annoying that was, tbh.

The cron was, as I said, a good piece of work, and I still would like to see more like this - if we had some more examples about how wide-ranging activeties and every-day life could be in the different empires people's imagination's could have more options to chew on. That could only be a good thing, imho.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:32 »

On the other, if popular media (or perhaps even just certain channels) tend to integrate the religious element, then to someone who was raise (or being raised) in that environment, it wouldn't seem odd or clumsy at all, most likely.
Perhaps worth pointing out that Nakregde II has an Amarr Certified News Development station in orbit.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2010, 14:17 »

I enjoyed it as well.

Which is odd.

The Book of Reclaiming quote... its the basic thing that children, not metaphorical Children of God as in all humanity, as in children are the true innocents.

Nothing to do with the Apocrypha quote which refers to Gods Word being in everybody.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2010, 14:23 »

I found this a rather touching story of how truly and deeply committed people can be to their faiths, even if a fictional faith I RPly fight.

Too bad you can't donate isk to NPC entities or interact with them easily.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2010, 15:02 »

And it also serves to really reinforce the sheer danger faith poses in a universe such as Eve's. Be it the Amarr faith or something more simple like the innate drive to annihilate said faith. I really liked this story, because it justifies roleplaying the way of thinking that you saw in Du'uma Fiisi and the murder of over three hundred thousand slaves. (Justifies roleplaying that way, not justifying murder as a tool in real life here.)

*snip* Probably better to keep RL Religion out of it. - Silver
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 13:30 by Silver Night »

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2010, 22:38 »

I thought it was exceptionally good, for reasons already posted here by others. It was well written and I enjoyed the small twists and the various forces fighting with Dr. Adad.

Plus, anything that reveals the Amarr as not just "Hey, they're the medieval Catholic Church! All of them!" is very good.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2010, 08:52 »

Those of us who live (or grew up) in religious subcultures recognize the sort of thing seen here on camera. I mean, if your goal is to teach children your values, whatever those values might be, you have to make it fun for them. This isn't restricted to the Gallente or anyone else.

Still need to think about the chronicle as a whole, but I quite enjoyed it and it will darken my whole day.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2010, 13:27 »

While I like the story, my issue is that a lot of people, for example, state their inclination away from Gallente RP because it is too 'samey' to RL...and this chron could easily just have the Amarr references replaced with RL ones and it'd be the exact same :P

It's less about the Amarr Empire being 'medieval' or 'Catholics in space'...I'm sure there are plenty of other theocratic monarchies across science fiction in general that don't portray that vibe, but nor are they portrayed by having Western style children's shows with a Southern baptist clown either.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 14:58 by Seriphyn »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2010, 13:36 »

[admin]Removing off-topic exchange. Please note that the general rule on the forum is to give others the benefit of the doubt. If something is unclear to you about something someone says, instead of posting in a way that might imply they aren't being truthful, please feel free to PM them so they can clarify rather than derailing the thread.Similarly if someone asks an off-topic question that you feel you need to respond to, it can be done via PM. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or start a thread in the appropriate section.[/admin]

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #25 on: 12 Aug 2010, 18:55 »

Sorry silver.

I've PM'ed Cosmo and hopefully he will answer an clear my confusion up. That is ofc assuming I've not messed up the PM system.

Carry on folks, nothing to see here...:P

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2010, 22:42 »

It's less about the Amarr Empire being 'medieval' or 'Catholics in space'...I'm sure there are plenty of other theocratic monarchies across science fiction in general that don't portray that vibe, but nor are they portrayed by having Western style children's shows with a Southern baptist clown either.

Except, of course, that such shows are hardly limited to Western cultures.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2010, 21:47 »

I think Seri's issues are not that he's really not getting Amarrian society so much as he's not getting the "western society" which he seems to take major issue with.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:54 »

I liked the chronicle. Made the Amarr seem far more human and something you can relate to and less like a Nation made of the Spanish Inquisition in space with lasers. Especially since I've found myself very intrigued by the Amarr Empire of late.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2010, 04:22 »

I think Seri's issues are not that he's really not getting Amarrian society so much as he's not getting the "western society" which he seems to take major issue with.

My issue is that the Amarr don't have to have an evangelical clown to prove that they are not just Catholic choir boys in space.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4