Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Language Sticky  (Read 21015 times)

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
The Language Sticky
« on: 03 Jul 2010, 21:20 »

The Language Sticky:

The awesome of language for roleplays - post if you know ones I missed!

Intaki: http://www.ilfcorp.com under Language.  Kudos go to the ILF and Saxon for this one.
           http://freeintaki.freeforums.org/intaki-history-f10.html - for more fun intaki words.

Napanii (Caldari): http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=473.0  Kudos for this to Ken.

Basic Caldari: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Basic_Caldari_for_Gallente - this was linked with Ken's thread and with a neat poem.

Matari Dialect: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1763.msg21980#msg21980 Thank you Sophie!

Skelarion (Gallente Bloc): http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=930 - Cheers to Nikita Alterana for her work on this one.

Please post with other languages you folks know of and I'll update.

~Zuzu
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 01:41 by Zuzanna Alondra »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Re: The Language Sticky
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2010, 16:04 »

freeintaki.tk will still get you there, but www.ilfcorp.com goes to the same place without the annoying banner across the top. We're also working to expand the Intaki lexicon, so there may be an update in the near future.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:52 »

New movement on the Intaki linguistic front:

http://freeintaki.freeforums.org/intaki-history-f10.html

Art

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2010, 16:55 »

Update OP to give the link to that as well, but might I suggest someone pass the word for me that that thread be moved to the public section of the ILF boards and possibly an OOC section created in the public section for folks like me that aren't ILF, but *do* read often.

Also my "ditto" vote on if Saxon gets a chance to add to the Intaki Language section of the website proper.  I love the work that is going on with the Napanii.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2010, 17:00 »

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Syn Callibri

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:28 »

Are there any for Minmatar?

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2010, 13:02 »

Not yet...but something to look into soon...you have any suggestions?

Art

Syn Callibri

« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2010, 09:33 »

Well...I've been told that its based on old nordic, but there aren't any good (easy) reference tools for translation. So in lue of that would Celtic/Irish do? If so I think this might be a good place to start...

http://www.stars21.com/translator/irish_to_english.html?ref=top

...at least it works for me.  ;)

« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2010, 10:40 by Syn Callibri »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2010, 10:35 »

For Amarrish, I've recently started looking into basing it on or at least drawing influence from Romani - a language grown on ancient indian, 10th-century Persian, assorted slavic dialects and a bloody mess of european tongues.

I'd probably mix in some assorted Semitic languages and the occasional splash of Latin into the stew as well.

EDIT: The Romani word "Amaro" means "ours", which seems quite poetic enough to seal the deal.  :D
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2010, 13:37 by Horatius Caul »

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 07 Sep 2010, 16:01 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=930.0

I'll just leave that here

Sorry so late to put it up top - added.  *hugs*

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2010, 15:40 »

For Amarrish, I've recently started looking into basing it on or at least drawing influence from Romani - a language grown on ancient indian, 10th-century Persian, assorted slavic dialects and a bloody mess of european tongues.

I'd probably mix in some assorted Semitic languages and the occasional splash of Latin into the stew as well.

EDIT: The Romani word "Amaro" means "ours", which seems quite poetic enough to seal the deal.  :D

Hmmm.....interesting....someone should pick this up and run with it....I would, but I have my hands full right now with Intaki. But I'd be glad to play second fiddle to anyone who wants to get the ball rolling with Amarrish/Amarrian.

Art

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:17 »

I got a crazy idea the other day, mainly out of frustration towards building a language via a linear glossary and having to memorize what words are related and how they're supposed to conjugate...

What if we set up a Wiktionary for the EVE languages? It would make it much easier to handle stuff like etymology, definitions, derived words, translations, etc. and it could have things like pronunciation guides and examples in native alphabets.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2011, 22:21 »

This may be silly, but it does encompass more than one character.

Back in the day when I created Shin, I wanted her to speak some Caldari dialect.  Ly'sol wanted to have his backstory interleave with Shin's, so we worked out an aspect of Tierijev culture, a minority culture speaking a language similar to Hawai'ian.  We didn't develop it too far, but I was re-reading Herko's Caldari language stuff and got inspired.  Here, then, is a basic thingy on the 'Orelo language, which is what Shin's people speak.  The Tierijev variant, which is nearly identical, is Tuapa'ani.  Any Tierijev characters (Ze'ev) feel free to use it> :D

Sophie Starsparrow

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2011, 23:14 »

This is what we used to use as a regional Matari dialect, and the reasons why. It like everything else we created was abandoned when Sophie changed hands. Any are free to have at it.

"Working from the principle that some of the people that came through the eve gate had an interest in preserving traditional culture, and that these people were the distant ancestors of the Matari, a language needed to be found for these people.

The Welsh people are concentrating on preserving their language as a spoken language. As the Welsh are a Celtic people, I saw this as fitting quite nicely with the rest of our rp influences. Of course, by the time the eve gate opens, the traditonal values will be even more mixed with others of a similar nature, as discussed here{link disabled}. To take the time passed into account, I have chosen usually the newer form of the word, and shortened it (also with the aim of making it more keyboard-friendly than english, quicker).

The grammatical structure is English, but again, shortened. For example :

I, Me, Mine, Myself, I am, I will, I have, are all conveyed by the word 'Fi'.

You, your, yourself, you are, you have, you will are all expressed by the word 'Chi'.

STANDARD    ANNWN MATAR

Hello (informal) : Dweu
Hello (formal) : Cyfar
Goodbye : Hwy
Yes : Do
No : Dim
Maybe : Efall
Thank you : Dio
Thank you very much : Dio yn
You're welcome : Sawu
Okay : Ia
Help : Por
Me : Fi
You : Chi
To : Ago
At : Ceis
In : Ym
Under : Is
Side : Tu
Left : Ar ol
Right   : De
Come : Dyfo
Coming : Dyfodi
Go : Cyr
Going : Myn
Leave : Trwy
Pod : Masgl
Ship : Llong
Drone : Pwyd
Warp : Gwy
Going in : Myn ym
At gate : Ceis dwyd
At Eram gate, Eram side : Ceis Eram dwyd, Eram tu
Clear gate : Clir dwyd
Wait at gate : Wrth dwyd
Follow me : Canlyn fi
Warp to me : Gwy ago
Come to me : Dyfo ago
On my way : Dyfodi
Fire at target : Tan nod
Fire at will : Tan ewy
Hold fire : Wrth tan
Under fire : Is tan
Finished : Ar ben
Pull drones    : Plwc Pwyd
Help : Por
Mother : Mamau
Father : Tadau
Brother : Brdyr
Sister : Chwio
Family : Teul
Lover : Cariad
Spirits : Absri
Ancestor : Hynafl
Heart : Aelwyd
Home : Cartref
Haven : Hafan
Summer House : Hafod
Homeland : Mamwled
Nation : Cenedl
Warrior : Rhyfelwr
Miner    : Mwynwr
Builder : Lodwyr
Scholar : Ysgolor
Tower : Terfyn
Control : Caregan
Maple : Masar
Leaf : Deil
Stone : Maen
Fire : Tan
Arrow : Saeth
Pixie : Pwc
Moth : Gwyfyn
Butterfly : Gloyn byw
Hounds : Cwn
Free : Ysgafal
To set free    : Dadrwym"

There was a lot more but this should give you the idea ;)
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 23:19 by Sophie Starsparrow »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2011, 22:31 »

This may be silly, but it does encompass more than one character.

Back in the day when I created Shin, I wanted her to speak some Caldari dialect.  Ly'sol wanted to have his backstory interleave with Shin's, so we worked out an aspect of Tierijev culture, a minority culture speaking a language similar to Hawai'ian.  We didn't develop it too far, but I was re-reading Herko's Caldari language stuff and got inspired.  Here, then, is a basic thingy on the 'Orelo language, which is what Shin's people speak.  The Tierijev variant, which is nearly identical, is Tuapa'ani.  Any Tierijev characters (Ze'ev) feel free to use it> :D

Well hell, Shin, you should've come back sooner. Then maybe I could justify the apostrophe without having to resort to "It's, uh, err, Feythabolan. Yeah, that's the ticket." Ah well, is cool regardless.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.
Pages: [1] 2 3