Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Author Topic: [Language] Skelarion (Gallente Bloc)  (Read 2337 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
[Language] Skelarion (Gallente Bloc)
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:16 »

This is the beginning of what I hope will be the conclusion of my epic 2 year attempt to come up with my own language. For a while, I was at a severe loss as to where I could use this language, its a unique language but I really couldn't use it for another species in a sci-fi story because its latin based.
That Said, Gallentean is Lation based. I'm sort of intending this to be a bit of a group project because the gods know I won't get this done in a way people will be happy with on my own.

So here is the language as I have it so far, keep in mind, my notes are a wee bit of a mess, just read through all of it and some notion of sensibility should start to emerge out of the mess

Bridge
in skelarion the mark ' is used as a word bridge, the word can be spoken as one word, or as two, and the use normally depends on the accent of the speaker

counting
numbers have das at their front, any form of a number is das+base+ending formation
so secondly is das+kel+ker
daskelker
second would be daskelen as en is the ending used is placing words
when only referring to the number itself, (ie two)
its simply daskel
the exception to this is in the case of zero when dos is used instead, zero in skelarion is vil
so it would be dosvil

1 = mas
2 = kel
3 = jes
4 = par
5 = fam
6 = lik
7 = hec
8 = iram
9 = sal
0 = vil

cross associations:
in Skelarion, anytime two objects are associated with one another (with, and, etc) a linking word,  is added to the words being linked, tense also plays a role here
the linking works like this:
when linking two objects in the present tense for instance the corn is with the hay
the corn and the hay are presently together, in this case, the linking word 'cril is added to the end.
When using the past tense (IE: the corn was with the hay) the linking word 'crivl is added
when using the future tense the linking word 'crol is added
if no tense is present, 'cral is used
(ie where is the corn? With the hay would be hay'cral
this rule is further complexified if one of the objects is a person, if this is the case, the base word kan is used. Which in the tenses becomes kin, kivn, and kon, respectively.

so in the sentence:
peace be with you
the linked words are peace and you so in english it would be peace’kon you'kon

non-linked prepositions:
in cases where prepositions are not linked, the preposition is placed between the word, so the corn is across from the hay the linking word across (svend) would make it hay svend corn
If adjectives are used, (hay across from juicy corn) then the bridge word yiri is used after the adjectives but before the noun, this causes the link to jump, so that you’re not linking hay to juicy.

gender and pronouns
masculine and feminine in Skelarion is the same word with the gender sound at the end
so he and she is the same word: Kor
but in the male form the ending al is used,
whereas in the female form the ending nl is used
also, all pronouns start with a ko, in words that are gender neutral, such as they, and it, the ending il is used.

possessive:
when one item is owned by another, then lf is added to the end of the word that is doing the owning, and a 't is added to the end of the word
so in english
Tom's rake = Tomlf a rake't
when the possessed word is a vernoun, a r is used
so Tom's runner would be Tomlf run'ytor

intent etc:
will becomes Ratr' and is attached to the front of the word that will be done
so in english
he will run = he ratr'run

verbs: almost always end in ir, verbs that don't end in ir, special rules apply
special verb endings are K and Kis
the k ending is used in actions words that are directly performed by a person (ie: run, jump, eat)
the ending Kis, is used in words that can be directly performed by another living creature (ie: glide, burrow)
the ending ri is used for existantial verbs, is, be etc. These verbs fit into a much simpler role then their english counterparts in that they do not change as they do in english with tenses. In the case of these existential verbs, is is used for the active, and be is used for the passive, whereas in english they are variations of the same word.

a 'to' a verb, ie, the word Ascension, ascend is the verb.
In skelarion, the ir is dropped and sin or isin is added to the end, depending on the last base letter, if its a consonant then isin is used, if its a vowel then sin is used.

general variations
tense variations:
base word has a as the base vowel
present tense words have i as the base vowel
past tense words have iv as the base vowel
future tense words have o as the base vowel

present action,
when the word is active add ‘it to the end of a word
so driving becomes drive'it
if the word is passive add 'if to the end
so drives becomes drive'if

past action
when the word is active add 'ivt to the end
when the word is passive add 'ivf to the end
there are more cases of passive past tense words in skelarion then in english, in english the word drived would be considered incorrect grammer, it is however, the closest approximation to the skelarion active word kelir'ivf
in skelarion, the easiest way to remember active or passive, is that active words directly involve the speaker (for instance, if they are in the car that is driving) and passive words do not.

future action
when the word is active add 'ot to the end
when the word is passive add 'of to the end

adjectives and adverbs:
all adjectives except those referring to people have ki on the end
when describing a person the word has a yti at the end
when describing yourself yi is added to the end
when creating an adverb the 'I' is dropped and er is added.

These endings are overridden by the neutral rule and their only used as an ending in cases where there is no overriding neutral and base.

using a verb as an adjective:
as in return becoming returnable in english,
in words that end in ir
 add rl to the end of the word, return is Presir in skelarion
so returnable is pesirl
in words that end in K or kis, irl is added
(in english this refers to 'able' adverbs pushable, as well as 'ly' adverbs like longingly, and ‘al’ words like orbital in skelarion adverbs, the inner tense is ignored, in the word so the ing in longingly does not effect the translation)

Neutral Adjectives:
In skelarion, there are not separate adjectives for good and bad, instead variations of the same are used. The words fast, faster, fastest, and slow, slower, slowest, are all the same word in skelarion, with different suffixes.
Good:
di (normal) ie: fast
dio (er ending) ie: faster
dis (est ending) ie: fastest

bad
ki(normal) ie: slow
kio (er ending) ie: slower
kis (est ending) ie: slowest

adjectives for good or bad, in english, where the concept is just good or bad, are either omitted during the translation or incorporated into the closest working adjective.

In some instances in some adjectives, it is necessary to have all or none of the above as the denominating link, in this case, the roots for zero and one are used, respectively.

In other cases, such as the word for parts of a whole, an adjective reversal may be used, in this case, the word stays positive and niv’ is attached to the front.

There are a few exceptions to this, emotative words, these are words that describe emotions, such as happy, sad, angry, upset, and they lack good or bad traits. Because they can exist either as verbs or adjectives, they fall into a special category, emotion words, They all start with Macha. If being used as a verb the verb ending must be added, in the rare situation where no ending is called for, the ending ‘ik is added.

Question Words:
Question words fit into a special category in Skelarion, because they can be used as a pronoun, or an adverb. Because of that, they all start with Shik and have variable endings.

tense descriptions: (prejectives)
Used to describe the tense of the following noun, all present tense prejectives start with Jr, all past tense start with Wr, all future tense start with Sr

Additive: (ie: more, plus, in addition, etc) is all one word, the word is Skyr’ and it is added to the front of whatever is getting more

using a verb as a noun:
when using a verb as a noun, the letters 'yto are added to the end.
So runner would be run'yto

multiple items add i to the end of the word 
so in english
cans = cani

Positional:
Words dealing with something being up start with trif (including on, above, over)
Words dealing with something being down start with triva (including under, beneath, below)
Left and right both use fral

self:
any word referring to oneself starts in Y

Others:
any word referring to another person starts in the skelarion letter yt

re:
when something is done : ie recreate
Ivr is added to the front of the word

skelarion alphabet arranged by grammatical sound in english, the y in skelarion  is a full vowel, any time a pair of letters is encountered in the english phonetic, it translates to a different, single character in skelarion, although english keyboards are not equipped to write skelarion. (note: I have printed out versions of this with the letters added, I will upload the letters when I  get a chance )

A   =
b   =
c   =
d   =
e   =
ee  =
f   =
g   =
h   =
I   =
ir  =
iv  =
j   =
k   =
ko  =
l   =
lf  =
m   =
n   =
o   =
ow  =
p   =
q   =
r   =
s   =
t   =
u   =
v   =
w   =
x   =
y   =
yt  =
z   =

Dictionary:

a=e’(word)
across=svend
actual = fripalki
appear = Hakarir
at= Nyt
atmosphere =matherial
be = yri
born = Uitelir
boss =legara
can = Otir
clear= Isp’ki
coup= wira
crack= spenir
day= Mar
dead (noun) = perina
do = Asir
dog = whirki
end (verb)=eplir
end (noun)= dsak
feel = Jastik
final=Wirir
fund = kasa
guard = kalir
get = Ytir
hand= grasma
happy = Machalik
have= Escrir
hold=Yakir
hug (verb)= Fridir
I = Y
in (adverb) klis
is = jri
it =wil
just= Skark
kill= Vivik
language = Kekenari
let = kakir
live = pytir
me= ye
mine =extabir
mind= Cynali
mission= taskit
mourn  =machalos
night= kendelin
of= ym
on = lik
orbit = mathakir
quickly crossed= Narsakir
quiet= Taseel'ki
rat = rodik
run = flisk
sentence= skita
School= esclerna
shall= Shakir
should = koralo
sky = Matharna
some = partica
something= kodikil
sound (noun) = skoras
steal = Qatir
strike = impetir
survive = ytemair
sword = klypi
the = kry'(word)
they = komail
this= tras
thunder (noun)= Chalsm
thunder (verb)= Ckisir
to = fri
topic =trokip
Translate= trascipir
Upper= trifala’ki
universe= Jasawiq
weapon = Yasarba
which = koyil
why = Shikari
write = Tablaskir
year = tiplo
you = ytora

Non-synchronous words:

Fricka(ending) = word describing parts out of a population
Kalari(ending) = word describing the measure of an items normalcy.
Masray(ending)= word describing something’s intelligence
pokiri(ending)= world describing something's strength or weakness
nida(ending)=word describing something’s goodness or badness. This is a catchall.
yedena(ending)= word describing something's speed.

Ajaanav = good grief
Earkenav = oh no
kiranav = shut up

And finally here are some random sentences I've translated, not really sure if they're accurately translated cause I did some of them a while ago:

niv’Frickamas ytiri e’machalik eplir’it

tras jri kodikil ytora tablaskir klis e’kalari kekenari fri hakarir masraydi

kry’dsak ym (rep)

no one mourns the wicked

frickavil machalos’if kry’nidaki

kalir’yto

(pretty sure they're all correctly translated from this point down)

only the dead survive

masisin kry'perina ytemair

oh noes! I've been hugged!

earkenav! Y escrir'ivt yri'ivf fridir'ivt!

The sword which has been reborn

kry'klypi koyil escrir'ivt yri uitelir.

No power in the 'verse can stop me

pokarivil klis kry'jasawiq otir yedenavil y

the sword of the living dead

kry'klypi ym kry'pytir'it perina

also, I can kill you with my brain

skyr'y otir'it vivik ytora'cril ye yiri cynali'cril
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.