Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: State of Minmatar RP  (Read 8723 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: State of Minmatar RP
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2017, 21:15 »

Hello I'm the ghost of Nemo and somehow more cynical than I ever was alive.

Busy with not stalking the community, I came across this thread and it did make me think a little today.

In two words, it's dead.

In more words, it was dying even back in 2014 when I was playing (seriously). Why it is now dead, I can explain quite (ha) concisely, and it's important to state beforehand that none of this is laced with blame. Especially regarding one point.

1) Evaporation of pillar corps and alliances. Gutting the community's poster appeal and recruiting power.
2) Retirement of key characters. (It's okay. I'd weep for losing me too). One name in particular is relevant here, but will remain unsaid out of respect for the character and the player
3) Lack of access to key lore and PF (a la CCP), and abandonment of immersive setting. Links to 1 and 2. I believe, possibly wrongly, that to RP an Amarr or Matari well, you need a zest for the source material, beyond just the sanitised intro in char creation. I can mention numerous items, death of the wiki, death of (believable) Dev actors, and also the structure provided by experienced players and corps and informal groups, and more, that means this is now an obscure and drawn out task for a newcomer to Minnie RP. The frame is not there, and if it was there's few older siblings to teach us how to climb it.

But as threads here and old and new names out there evidence, while it may have died, another may live. Maybe. Circle of life and all that.

But who cares, I'm just a cynical ghost.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017, 21:18 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2017, 06:00 »

Necro'ing yet again, but Electus Matari did appear to briefly rise from the dead last week to come and fight us in Lirsautton, so perhaps there is hope yet if folks can keep momentum for in-space stuff going  :)

Nissui

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2017, 08:24 »

Miz's posts on the IGS for responders to the Muttokon incident seems to have pushed some activity toward the OTSI Containment and Staging area. It was very quiet in-system over the last 3 days but I imagine that was partly to do with holding for further developments on the FE platform outbreak. Still bears potential for in-space antics.

I will not be able to return there until Friday at the earliest and most of 'what happens in EVE' occurs while I am at work. I will enjoy reading/posting about everyone else's heroics, certainly.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2017, 06:58 »

Rebuilding / expanding the minmatar rp forces would be helped along by a suitable enemy.

xiongrey

• Vherokior Explorer, Clan Grey
  • Clonejack
  • In the Life of One Who Knows Nothing
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2017, 14:34 »

I do think that Miz's posts on the IGS have helped. I've seen a few Matari RPers respond to a few of the IGS posts on especially the Muttokon response including an Electus Matari poster and a few posters from the, I thought dead, Ushra'Khan.

What I think it really needs to kick start the Matari RP community would be more posters to the forums with interesting Lore tidbits sprinkled into their posts. From what I can tell, Minmatar RPers tend to post more often wen seeing other Minmatar posters. If more Electus Matari and Ushra'Khan members would post more, we could possibly see a resurgence.

Visibility is honestly what I think the community needs most.

Persephone Alleile

• Probe Operator
  • Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2017, 08:12 »

Seems like there's lots of Minmatar RPers active these days but everyone is doing their own thing. I find Minmatar and the Republic to be one of the most interesting factions in EVE so I like seeing good Minmatar content.

Persephone is a quarter Sebeistor but she's disconnected from her roots on that side of the family, I've always been interested in exploring those ties at some point.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017, 08:13 by Persephone Alleile »

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2017, 10:47 »

Seems like there's lots of Minmatar RPers active these days but everyone is doing their own thing. I find Minmatar and the Republic to be one of the most interesting factions in EVE so I like seeing good Minmatar content.
I have noticed as well that there seem to be more Minmatar RPers around than last time I RPed. I will see if I can figure out something to connect people. Miz also got a background as a Mystic so that can be great to get the spiritual aspect of it. I have just no idea how to pull it off.   :s

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2017, 01:41 »

Quote from: Mizhir
I will see if I can figure out something to connect people.

I haven't been watching the IGS, since I haven't been playing and I was typically one of those "don't talk shit on IGS if you're not gonna be in space shooting/being shot" types...  my understanding is that with the free accounts/alpha clones, I'd have access to post even though I'm not playing at the moment, and that temptation may prove great enough that I choose to stay away altogether.

THAT SAID:

I don't know Miz very well as a character, or you as a player, but some things I always wanted to try that would not have fit well at all with the Havohej character and which you might (or might not) be able to cherry pick an idea or idea seed from:

Pseudo-science articles/reports of any type on a topic or topics relevant to the Minmatar as a whole.  For example, a sociological thing about the differences and interactions between the different Tribes, an article along the lines of "Integration of the Starkmanir/Nefantir: X Years Later", maybe criticizing shortcomings in the way the Republic government has maybe fallen short of those peoples' needs, offering solutions, who knows, whatever you want your character to say.  Whole thing was much too humanitarian for a terrorist like Havo, so I left the ideas on the shelf.  Expected things like that to come out of -EM-, but (to the best of my knowledge, having been away for a while) I don't think any of their more prolific writers ever got around to putting together another one of their fucking fabulous pdfs.  (Electus Matari pdfs were huge for me when I first started getting into Eve RP, and Eva, Killjoy Tseng, Arnulf Ogunkoya and all those cats were all top class people to interact with, even as enemies).

Charity events - pool some ISK together, get some shiny stuff and hold a big event where raffle tickets are sold, or a charity auction (though that's been done before, depending on timing there's nothing to say that only one person in the entire cluster can hold a charity auction).  The key is for it to be geared toward raising awareness of "Minmatar-focused thing that may or may not have anything to do with war - say, shitty water quality/living conditions in Molden Heath for example (which sounds right up a Shaman's alley to want to do something about)" and bring people together who otherwise might not ever find their characters in the same room to interact with each other.  I think it was Stefanie Sessorie (I didn't spell that right at all) who held the one I participated in where I apparently was in a bidding war against Silas of all people - which was a damn fun time, and fun interaction with several IC enemies including Silas.

Those are just two ideas, if I wanted to REALLY text wall I could go on a bit more.  One thing to keep in mind is, and again I'm not super familiar with you so for all I know you might already have quite a catalogue, but the thing is that there are so many really wide gaps in the PF that we have, don't be shy about making shit up.  If it sounds feasible to you, run with it, and people will choose to interact with it or not.  For instance, I used to have a fiction posted to a blog I used to have, that would more or less act as OOC background so that players interested enough to read all that in addition to the IGS text walls I'd post, would have more of an idea exactly what it was they were interacting with then deciding to accept Havohej as an enemy by engaging with him on the IGS and/or in space.  My worldbuilding was never on such a grandiose level as, say, Saede Riordan and all that she's done with her Origin star system, but I like to think it was clever and gritty enough to support Havo's "edginess".

Anyway, yeah...  I'd love to see a big resurgence of Minmatar RP and if I had both the time and a suitable machine, I'd love to offer a bad guy as per Scagga's suggestion.  With a suitable machine, I might even be interested in taking up a more moderate Minmatar character and exploring Arnulf's idea with him (and I wish you the best of luck, Arnulf!)...  I just can't right now :(  Hopefully something in one of those two thoughts offered can nudge your own creativity in a helpful direction!

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2017, 05:30 »

The critical thing will be having a few big central characters willing to step up and sew all the disconnected minmatar RP together in some way. Effectively, rebuilding the brand of Minmatar as a factional RP entity, rather then a smattering of individuals.

It's that old cycle again, as we're seeing with the increase in Gallente activity of late as well.

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #24 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:12 »

Quote from: Mizhir
I will see if I can figure out something to connect people.

My worldbuilding was never on such a grandiose level as, say, Saede Riordan and all that she's done with her Origin star system,

Well now, that is a very good segue for me... One thing my experience with Origin has taught me is that if you want good strong tradition or a rich backstory for your world, you have to encourage it. Most of my work (up to and including Sunswept) was inspired in some way by pieces written by Saede and a lot more of it came from conversations OOC with ALXVP friends. 'Hey, why is this thing that way?' 'You know, never thought of it, let em work on it.'.... and a few days later I'd have an explanation written into Origin lore.

Related, Much of Origin's backstory is Matari, despite our status as being unaligned. While we do have ex-Amar loyal peoples, most of our fights/arguments are with those who follow the Amarr Imperial dogma. Many of our pilots though have been or still are favorable to the Matari cause though most feel a certain amount of disenfranchisement with the Republic's methods.

This brings me to an offer; as I start wrapping up the last three chapters of Sunswept, I really want to work with SFRIM to get that RP arch going that we started so long ago. Currently ALXVP is on horrible terms with SFRIM (despite being on fantastic OOC terms) and we are about to initiate an IC dialog to try to better that relationship. This represents a huge potential for RP for both of our members as well as a way for Origin politics to try to balance themselves more evenly between all four cultures. This is also coming on the wake of a massive immigration of over 12,000 refugees into Origin from Naupalis's(sp?) clutches. There are already a lot of reasons for us not to swiftly befriend such a stalwart champion of Amarr, not the least of which is Origin's strong Matari and Angel beginnings.  So... while I don't fancy Origin as that big a presence in the New Eden social structure, I'd like to think our participation in the RP community warrants some overall Matari misgivings toward the idea of us making any strides to befriend SFRIM. (And yes, Xeph is still 'stick in the mud' against the idea of it). It's not a STRONG Matari issue, but  maybe some of you could use it. I mean, how did we end up with all those refugees and not have them repatriated to Minmatar? How could people who see daily the atrocities of the Amarr be so willing to open talks with them? Does this mean that the Minmatar need a champion corp to send a delegate to argue against it?

I mean, Landfall festival is approaching...
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/corporate-arcives/

I'd love any thoughts or ideas people have. Or if this sparks something for you let me know.

Ok, text wall done.
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr 2017, 12:13 »

The critical thing will be having a few big central characters willing to step up and sew all the disconnected minmatar RP together in some way. Effectively, rebuilding the brand of Minmatar as a factional RP entity, rather then a smattering of individuals.

It's that old cycle again, as we're seeing with the increase in Gallente activity of late as well.

Khaprice is trying to drag some minnie's together into one OOC channel, chat to her.

Nissui

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2017, 12:15 »

Khaprice is good people. Plaswan.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2017, 05:36 »

Sorry for not being able to respond sooner. I had something that came up in RL.

@Havohej
Thanks for the reply and the effort you put into it. The (pseudo) science articles doesn't really sound like something I am interested in. After doing the drifter autopsy I learned how much effort it takes to make something that is both scientific and fiction. And I already have many other things I want to write for EVE RP, including some background stuff on Miz and some worldbuilding. But maybe I can put that into good use later. However it did give me a great idea, so thanks, the idea is to make a post on the IGS about how it is for Miz to grow up outside the Republic and still feel connected in the tribal ways. It could hopefully spark some talk about the tribal ways without having to write too much stuff.

Regarding the charity auction, then there is already one running so we shouldn't oversaturate that. Maybe in a few months.

@Utari
I will not be able to contribute to factional aspect of the Minmatar RP. Miz does not support the war going on, and her home is the Federation. However I hope that I can be able to connect on the cultural / tribal aspect.

@Xepharious
One of the thing I really enjoy is the worldbuilding so hopefully I will be able to put it into good use. I must admit that I haven't really been following the Origin project but I know how much it means for Saede.

@Altarica
Cool :) I will try and poke them.

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2017, 07:09 »

@Xepharious
One of the thing I really enjoy is the worldbuilding so hopefully I will be able to put it into good use. I must admit that I haven't really been following the Origin project but I know how much it means for Saede.

It's funny, at it's core, it is world building, but to me its telling a good story. I've actually been very humbled by how many people have come in and made telling the Origin story their own. Currently, most of the writing done in or about Origin isn't actually done by Saede anymore. I think that is what kind of impresses me the most.
(Besides, Saede has their own novel, Sideways in Hyperspace, as a project now. Something I am VERY excited to continue reading as soon as I get these last two chapters of Sunswept done)
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Rinai Vero

• Clonejack
« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2017, 17:37 »

It's funny, at it's core, it is world building, but to me its telling a good story. I've actually been very humbled by how many people have come in and made telling the Origin story their own. Currently, most of the writing done in or about Origin isn't actually done by Saede anymore. I think that is what kind of impresses me the most.
(Besides, Saede has their own novel, Sideways in Hyperspace, as a project now. Something I am VERY excited to continue reading as soon as I get these last two chapters of Sunswept done)

I've actually been really curious about y'alls project for a while.  Since I've been away from EVE for most of the last two years I haven't been able to act on that curiosity though.  This summer I'm planning on doing some wormhole stuff with my alt (Aldris Vero) and I'd like to get in touch!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5