Yeah, there's several reasons I wouldn't back that if I had a gun to my head, and I've got cash to spend.
- The whole rebranding thing. If you're going to rewrite history, you might as well just make the whole thing pure fiction anyway.
- It being a rather obvious cash-in (which leaks have subsequently confirmed).
- I'll easily admit it, I'm not backing anything even remotely connected to goons/TMdC.
- Expansion on the above: The GSF has spent the better part of a decade cultivating a "Us vs Eve" image. No fun content, no shits given about the rest of New Eden, blueball or deathball, bury any criticism under giant heaps of strawmen or trolling, etc etc. GSF has been purely antagonistic throughout its entire existence, and while I wholly approve of that kind of attitude I very much dislike the means it has employed and why should anyone ever do anything to support any venture from that source given all of this history? That author tying his name to GSF/TMdC/Mittens may have been the most suicidal move I've ever seen business wise, relating to Eve.
- Yeah, no, I'm not paying Mittens a dime. He wants to cash in on Eve, it'll have to be his Emporium paying to his Sociopathic Highness, not me.
- The chances that it'd accurately reflect the events of that war is close to zero.
- The claims "it's for the good of Eve!" made me facepalm so hard. No, fucknuts, this is a book that existing players might have bought and read, not something anyone that wasn't already a player would give two shits about.
- It's been done, better and with helluvalot more reasonable goals.
- The sample I read was something I could recreate by shitting on a tablet. If it's not representative of the final product, don't use it as a sample. I wouldn't market lovely cookies by handing out samples of salmonella infested raw cookie dough.
Honestly, another go at it won't work either, unless you make the goal low enough that it can be wholly funded by GSF members. The current outing has pretty much killed the last bit of good will remaining for the names involved, and pretty much anything tied to the GSF/Mittens/Emporium/TMdC names are pretty much going to be considered cash grabs or otherwise tainted anyway.
Yes, I certainly am biased against the goons because of my personal views on "e-honor", honesty even among enemies, etc etc so take my opinions as such.