Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DioCore is a Gallentean research firm that survived a hostile takeover by its own start-up investors, MindChill, in the early days of the company.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The [Blank] Was a Lie  (Read 7698 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: The [Blank] Was a Lie
« Reply #30 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:12 »

Yeah, there's several reasons I wouldn't back that if I had a gun to my head, and I've got cash to spend.

- The whole rebranding thing. If you're going to rewrite history, you might as well just make the whole thing pure fiction anyway.
- It being a rather obvious cash-in (which leaks have subsequently confirmed).
- I'll easily admit it, I'm not backing anything even remotely connected to goons/TMdC.
 - Expansion on the above: The GSF has spent the better part of a decade cultivating a "Us vs Eve" image. No fun content, no shits given about the rest of New Eden, blueball or deathball, bury any criticism under giant heaps of strawmen or trolling, etc etc. GSF has been purely antagonistic throughout its entire existence, and while I wholly approve of that kind of attitude I very much dislike the means it has employed and why should anyone ever do anything to support any venture from that source given all of this history? That author tying his name to GSF/TMdC/Mittens may have been the most suicidal move I've ever seen business wise, relating to Eve.
- Yeah, no, I'm not paying Mittens a dime. He wants to cash in on Eve, it'll have to be his Emporium paying to his Sociopathic Highness, not me.
- The chances that it'd accurately reflect the events of that war is close to zero.
- The claims "it's for the good of Eve!" made me facepalm so hard. No, fucknuts, this is a book that existing players might have bought and read, not something anyone that wasn't already a player would give two shits about.
- It's been done, better and with helluvalot more reasonable goals.
- The sample I read was something I could recreate by shitting on a tablet. If it's not representative of the final product, don't use it as a sample. I wouldn't market lovely cookies by handing out samples of salmonella infested raw cookie dough.

Honestly, another go at it won't work either, unless you make the goal low enough that it can be wholly funded by GSF members. The current outing has pretty much killed the last bit of good will remaining for the names involved, and pretty much anything tied to the GSF/Mittens/Emporium/TMdC names are pretty much going to be considered cash grabs or otherwise tainted anyway.

Yes, I certainly am biased against the goons because of my personal views on "e-honor", honesty even among enemies, etc etc so take my opinions as such.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:20 »

I almost backed it. But changed my mind when I read all the splurgs that came off as ego inflating propaganda (As most things the Mittani touch do). TMC is now making matters worse and ensuring the project dies.

If they didn't do it in a way where Goons were the forefront of "Loook we got a writer and CCP backing a book that involves us! Support it since its the only way EvE will survive!" it would have done much better.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2015, 15:58 »

The sample excerpts were first drafts and shouldn't at all be taken as indicative of what the final product might be.

Well, like for any game, or any product, you usually tend to showcase it quite a bit, and in a good light, or no surprise if it doesn't find any appeal..

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2015, 16:20 »

Yeah, if the sample excerpts aren't to be taken as indicative of what the final product might be, what exactly are their purpose? They're used for marketing the product.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2015, 21:58 »

Let's not kid ourselves, the bar set by the other eve tie-in novels was so low that this latest round of terrible preview excerpts shouldn't surprise anyone.

Aside from that, I usually think it a bad idea to reinforce certain behavior with piles of money. 

The schadenfreude, so so strong watching this kickstarter not go anywhere and egos having to interact with reality.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #35 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:08 »

remember though, it's roleplayers that take the game too seriously.

not you know, normal people. They never take the game too seriously. Never.
\o/

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #36 on: 27 Nov 2015, 03:22 »

remember though, it's roleplayers that take the game too seriously.

not you know, normal people. They never take the game too seriously. Never.

But Eve is Serious Business.

So Serious you get Death Threats because you touched someone's Titan.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #37 on: 27 Nov 2015, 10:52 »

The schadenfreude, so so strong watching this kickstarter not go anywhere and egos having to interact with reality.

Please, tell us about Star Citizen's release date and epic scope that won't ever be reached. >.>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #38 on: 27 Nov 2015, 10:57 »

Please, tell us about Star Citizen's release date and epic scope that won't ever be reached. >.>

Star Citizen's gonna be the space sim version of Duke Nukem Forever.

Calling it.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:00 »

Wasn't talking about Star Citizen?

I don't think the goon kickstarter flaming out has anything to do with SC?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #40 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:24 »

It was me poking fun at your comment about schadenfreude.

A lot of us also got that feeling for the book of goons, but your praise of SC is similar to the talking-up the Big Goons in Charge did for theirs - and a bunch of us are also waiting with bated breath for the schadenfreude we'll get out of SC.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #41 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:30 »

Yeah, if the sample excerpts aren't to be taken as indicative of what the final product might be, what exactly are their purpose? They're used for marketing the product.

This is why I feel they should have shown a sample from his published works, as that would more accurately represent what a finalized product would look like.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 27 Nov 2015, 11:34 »

This is why I feel they should have shown a sample from his published works, as that would more accurately represent what a finalized product would look like.

Would probably work out better, but I still say I could shit out better samples than those, and that tells me something about the author's quality as it is.

A lot of us also got that feeling for the book of goons, but your praise of SC is similar to the talking-up the Big Goons in Charge did for theirs - and a bunch of us are also waiting with bated breath for the schadenfreude we'll get out of SC.

SC isn't comparable, as SC's problem is opposite to the Band of Bookstarter's conundrum, and contrary to Mittens' issues SC's problems can actually be solved. It's a surprisingly common problem with anything that's going through an Early Access or Kickstarter development style, where the community gets involved at such an early stage both through funding and development.

You may start with a specific vision and plan, and budget goals, but when money starts rolling in and the crowd doing the funding gets to start making their own desires and hopes a part of things, it starts spiraling out of control until the vision encompasses the universe and the funding doesn't seem to let you get away with anything less. Sooner or later something falls short, be it hours in the day, technical know-how, funding, crowd patience or whatever else and there's disappointment to be had. SC development biting off more than they can chew is something that can actually be solved given the amount of funding and possibilities for staff expansion etc.

Mittens' Emporium doesn't really have that kind of option in this regard. They've spent the better part of a decade reveling in "We will ruin YOUR game!" and suddenly turns around and asks said rest of the game for 150k USD, getting "Uhhh... no?" as a reply. Leading to Sion's delightful article telling everyone they're shit and ruining the game for everyone because they won't support Mittens' cashing out.

Schadenfreude indeed, and I have to say I find the notion of a goon telling me I'm being mean to be so ironically delicious that I have to go masturbate furiously for a while. Brb.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 27 Nov 2015, 12:00 »

Gotcha ;).

I know I'll be drowning in schadenfreude if SC flames out don't worry ;) 

Still that 97mil tho, like 15k on the test server right now running missions and pew pewing and fps

Off topic though, I'm excited for the goon flameout mostly because they have built their whole thing out of being insufferable towards others and karma's a bitch ;)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #44 on: 27 Nov 2015, 12:03 »

Pretty much. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4