Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: General New Release and Upcoming Vidjo Games Thread  (Read 5640 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: General New Release and Upcoming Vidjo Games Thread
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2015, 15:20 »

Yeah the new X-Com looks fantastic.

I love that somewhere the designers said that they decided to go with the alien victory because "so many people were losing games and restarting on Impossible it made sense to use that that an alien victory was the most likely outcome so we went with that".
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jul 2015, 09:29 »

WORLD OF WARSHIPS.

It's super fun.  Super, super fun.  I haven't had this much fun in a while.

Doing suicide-runs in a tiny destroyer and launching a torpedo broadside on a huge ship only to die but have your torpedoes continue on after death and sink a massive battleship, it doesn't get much better.

The game is free, and it's so much fun.

http://worldofwarships.eu/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2015, 08:07 »

Guys. Guys. (and girls.). Seriously. Warships.  So fun.

A lot of times, I will get the fastest, most fragile ships, and just spam in all chat

WITNESS MEEEEE

Fury Road style as I blaze a path to Valhalla and launch broadside torpedoes.

Had a match yesterday and killed 3 ships, 11 torpedo hits, and a dead carrier, all in a dessie.

That's kind of like soloing a BC gang in a frigate and shouting in local the entire time about glorious death.

:yar:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:23 »

Is there health bars and unrealistic material like in WoT ?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:49 »

Nothing is realistic about it :P

You have a health bar, the large battleships are appropriately tanky and can get shot all day, the smaller ships could die in one or two volleys.  Torpedoes can kill almost anything in a few hits but they have to get pretty close, sort of like Gallente Blasters x100.  A big ship that will die to torpedoes you can kill the thing shooting the torpedoes almost instantly if you see them in time, but the small ships are 'stealthy' and have detection ranges and stuff.

Also there's an entire other game with the aircraft carriers where you are doing more of an RTS launching fighters and bombers, but I haven't progressed to be cleared for them yet...

There's a lot of components that can get damaged like ship ridder, guns, fires, flooding, etc.  You get a 'repair' ability that has a long cooldown that can stop flooding or fires or rudder damage, but you have to time it so you don't use it and then have another fire started on you right after before the cooldown is ready.

Most ships have a few 'spells' like smokescreen or 'engine boost' sorts of things that are fun. 

The things I've seen of world of tanks just have everyone dying in like 3 shots? Looks too fast and intense.  This game is like slow moving capital ship battles.  If you make a mistake you might not know it for 1 minute while you end up wayyy too far into enemy firing range and your giant behemoth can't make it out fast enough.

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2015, 10:01 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:38 »

If you like the WoT kind of game but don't like the healthbar system (which I hate), give War Thunder a whirl. It's remarkably fun, has no healthbars and instead uses a system based on armor penetration and critical systems being damaged/destroyed. I love how they take angling armor into effect and how you have to carefully judge the enemy's position and choose where to hit them based on angle/armor thickness/ammo store location etc.

Hell, you even get to decide how much ammo to take with you, so you can lower the risk of getting shot in the ammo store.

Can't bloody stand the free to play model though, so I quickly fucked off. It's a pity, because it's a great game if you can think a bit tactically and figure out the combat mechanics.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:42 »

If you like the WoT kind of game but don't like the healthbar system (which I hate), give War Thunder a whirl. It's remarkably fun, has no healthbars and instead uses a system based on armor penetration and critical systems being damaged/destroyed. I love how they take angling armor into effect and how you have to carefully judge the enemy's position and choose where to hit them based on angle/armor thickness/ammo store location etc.

Hell, you even get to decide how much ammo to take with you, so you can lower the risk of getting shot in the ammo store.

Can't bloody stand the free to play model though, so I quickly fucked off. It's a pity, because it's a great game if you can think a bit tactically and figure out the combat mechanics.

Yea I also hate FTP, but WOW has made it non-required.  I play a few rounds a night and I'm progressing very fast with a new ship every few days.  Once you get a few ships in your port, you can lose a match, switch to the next ship while the losing match is still being played, and then by the time that match is done you'r ship is ready to go again.

If you ignore all the attempts to sell you things and just earn exp from actually playing the game the progressing isn't any different from a regular RPG.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:35 »

I have played War Thunder for eons (although, not really interested in tanks), but WT has no playable ships yet.

I just think that the very arcadey model of WoT/WoW is not for me. I already have a hard time to cope with the WT arcade mode so...

Yes, War Thunder F2P model is similar and there is absolutely no pay to win, just pay to progress faster. It's mostly a comfort thing. The rest progresses decently well and is not an endless grinding farm (except maybe in tier 5 with jets and stuff). So far I have been loving the game and even after playing it regularly for 2 years or something, I am still addicted. I haven't met a game that managed to hook me up like that since I was a kid...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:49 »

Eh, War Thunder occasionally goes pay 2 win. Can't recall the name of that tank with the rockets that was only available if you paid, but at least when I played that thing was ridiculously powerful and only available for cash. I suspect they fixed that though. Great game.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2015, 15:52 »

Add me on Warthunder Lyn <3

Korsavius
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2015, 06:07 »

Adding you. Though I only play realistic now (can field any tier but jets for japan, up to tier3-4 for germany, and the rest is tier 2 except USSR).

Nissui

« Reply #42 on: 06 Oct 2015, 12:40 »

A small Q&A on CP2077 in MCV. Let's see if CDPR can deliver.

:borgout:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #43 on: 06 Oct 2015, 20:28 »

Based on their success with Witcher 3, I'm pretty optimistic.

Speaking of TW3, I think their first expansion-size DLC is out soon.

Also, Life is Strange episode 5 is out in 2 weeks. So hyped. And yes, I will stream it for those who were watching me stream episodes 1 through 4.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #44 on: 07 Oct 2015, 07:33 »

Liara Enith made me aware of Take On Mars. Early Access (shiver) but looking promising. Also made by Bohemia Interactive, and I have faith in their output.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4