Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: General New Release and Upcoming Vidjo Games Thread  (Read 5641 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: General New Release and Upcoming Vidjo Games Thread
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2015, 12:53 »

I have close to zero interest in battlefield, as it has always been the case for me... Not much into FPS/Shooters. But it sure looks very nice... And that's it. Gameplay looks gimmicky, at best.

I was surprised to see that ME4 finally announced. But it sure shows very little, I suppose they chose to showcase mostly concept arts turned into a video... The concepts are interesting but... the video is pretty much vapid in my opinion. Commander Shepard/X looking for a nice spot of vacations ? Please... Ah well, I'm glad that's a spinoff but totally different story. I don't think sequels are a good thing, especially when there has already been a full story released in 3 titles. Let the old story die in peace, and create a new one, I hope, much better (but I do not hold my breath...). In any case, if it keeps what made ME greatly immersive and impossible to drop without finishing it...

I was a bit hyped by the new Tomb Raider. Mostly environments that were shown, but that looks promising, and brings a lot of variety (I really liked that samurai island in the first one, but it turned quickly pretty much the same thing all over, unlike say, an Uncharted). I really like that new reboot.

Ahh Mirror's Edge 2, finally. Lots of long expected sequels... Always a nice art/visual slap in the face. I'm hyped, as I have always been. But they have very high standards to match/reach with the first one as a baggage.

Fallout 4 ? Looks very interesting, but open worlds... not my thing. Never really got hooked by the setting as well, much like TES.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2015, 13:29 »

ME:A - Not supposed to have Shepard in it, according to pretty much every thing Bioware has ever said about subsequent games in the Mass Effect universe after they were done with the third game. Still interested and looking forward to seeing more about it. The trailer/teaser was, honestly, pretty light on meaningful content to analyze.

BF - never touched any of these games, not sure I will. Didn't see the stuff for this one anyway.

Tomb Raider - XB1 exclusive is mutually exclusive with my wallet. A real fucking shame, too; I was looking forward to this one after playing the 2013 reboot.

Mirror's Edge - yes please.

Fallout - might pick it up as stated elsewhere, what with it being in the Boston area and all.

Might take a look at the Division w/ some other people. Beyond that I haven't really been paying a ton of attention to E3 this year.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2015, 13:50 »

I'm worried about Mass Effect Andromeda being another Dragon Age: Inquisition: Focused too much on wandering the side-quest areas instead of the main story.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2015, 14:14 »

I feel like ME was always sort of fighting with itself after the first game and the change in ownership.

Things aren't all good or all bad, but it was hard not to see the game shift directions towards more of a commoditized Electronic Arts DLC/microtransaction delivery vehicle over parts 2 and 3.

Vidjo Games are strange in these modern days aren't they?  They've been on a similar trajectory with movies and other entertainment as they get more and more consolidated.  The amount of money you have to invest to compete and put the supposed minimum level of quality out means you are gambling $40 or $50 million ahead of time hoping it sells.

I don't know what the solution is because making a game like Mass Effect nowadays is a huge, expensive, risky investment of capital, and the bean counters at corporate and the people making the game ARENT the same people.  The people writing the story and programming and doing artwork are in love with the series I'm sure but they've got some guy from corporate saying 'take this level out, we package it as DLC later' or 'make this gun separate for later purchase' or 'focus groups want more of 'this' type of combat so we are re-doing the first two levels for this survey result, etc.  It's just a weird thing and I'm old and I since I don't game as much anymore it's jarring to me some of the marketing and chopping up of modern games for the different revenue streams.

On the other hand I absolutely -adored- some of the Mass Effect story purchases.  The 'shadow broker' one was amazing and fantastic.  But then I see stuff like 'pre order to get x in game exclusive items' and I want to burn down their office.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2015, 14:44 »

Gal Civ III is 25% off for another 20 hours...... Can't.... hold out... much longer....

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2015, 19:56 »

Witcher 3 was amazing.

It's like Skyrim had a love child with Red Dead Redemption. 

And I freaking won the gwent high stakes tourney.  Which is really what matters in that game.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2015, 20:19 »

Some infos on X-Com II from E3.

Our clean-cut, professional Officer Bradford is now grizzled and sports a beard.
Stationary turrets you can hack. Depending on your soldier's skill, you can nullify it or use it against enemies.
More objective based missions.
More customization for soldiers: hats/hoods, eye-patches, and beards.
Advent Mechs are a new enemy type.
You can call for an evac anywhere in the mission. The ship will drop nearby.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2015, 01:56 »

I'm worried about Mass Effect Andromeda being another Dragon Age: Inquisition: Focused too much on wandering the side-quest areas instead of the main story.

Welcome in most open worlds... The new fad for RPG games, where linear experience gets shotgunned by the press everytime where they somehow turn it consistently in a negative quality instead of a positive one on its own.

Which made me more and more emphasizing with action adventure games now (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc), or just outright narrative games ala telltales, that focus ten times more on the story and cinematic experience, which is a bit weird considering my upbringing in solo RPGs...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2015, 06:46 »

I think that is more of a USA/Japan style division.   USA rpgs were always more 'open' and Japanese final fantasy style were more on plot 'rails.'

Open world also means *shock* you can release it incomplete and sell the remaining pieces to the customer after release. 

Both styles have merits though!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:35 »

Yes.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2015, 19:28 »

Mirror's Edge is looking fucking refined. We won't know how it plays, but the art direction is spot fucking on.

Although the one E3 reveal no one has mentioned yet is that Horizon game. Not much was shown but what was had me intrigued. Apparently it's an RPG.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2015, 20:14 »

ME was always BioWare's more 'cinematic' game. I remember the lead-up to the original where they constantly referred to their characters as digital actors, played up how Dude!Shepard's face was scanned from a real person's so it was ultra lifelike, and how it was a fully voiced game.

The game play will be similar to ME 3. You shoot things or use powers. Your enemies have barrier/shields and health/armor.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:40 »

ME was always BioWare's more 'cinematic' game. I remember the lead-up to the original where they constantly referred to their characters as digital actors, played up how Dude!Shepard's face was scanned from a real person's so it was ultra lifelike, and how it was a fully voiced game.

The game play will be similar to ME 3. You shoot things or use powers. Your enemies have barrier/shields and health/armor.

You know, they could release a Mass Effect game with no real time combat and I think most of the built in audience would like it even more.  The shooty parts were often just things for me to get through to get to the talky parts  :oops: 

Kyoko: I thought Mirror's Edge looked great as well.  Wish it wasn't a 'prequel' but Mirror's Edge one was just lightning in a bottle aesthetically, so crisp and visually fantastic.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2015, 20:39 »

Kyoko: I thought Mirror's Edge looked great as well.  Wish it wasn't a 'prequel' but Mirror's Edge one was just lightning in a bottle aesthetically, so crisp and visually fantastic.

I think they can get more interesting writing out of a prequel than a sequel or director's cut. The ending of the first game was a bit too constrictive for further fleshing out a universe.

Generally I'd be all "FFS another open-world game; take another shot of vodka," but I think it works wonderfully for a game so about movement such as MEC.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2015, 11:22 »

A lot of XCOM 2 stuff here: WATCH

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/25/xcom-2-in-game-footage-2/#more-297655

The aliens 'won' the last game, this is 20 years later and XCOM is an underground resistance force.

YES>

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4