Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [EVENT] - Peace Conference - Interest Check  (Read 16560 times)

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
Re: [EVENT] - Peace Conference - Interest Check
« Reply #45 on: 23 Apr 2015, 18:01 »

This is shaping up nicely! Looking forward to it - particularly want to engage Minmatar delegates a bit. I love the Matari lore and since Pieter fell out with Ava I haven't gotten to play in that sandpit at all.

Indeed I am very excited for this :D And so happy that there is a large bit of interest, I had imagined it would end up Arkon sitting alone in a room XD

Liam would, of course, attend as a representative for the Federation (at least one bloc of it), though I imagine there might be better prospects.

Never :D Have Liam there will be an absolute blast, glad it has your interest.

Also pleased to say that the more formalised outline for the event is coming together, I should be able to post an outline tonight (AU local time). :)
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2015, 18:30 by Arkon Sarain »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:33 »

Pakhshi Peace Conference - YC117 01/05 – 31/05

In light of recent developments in the cluster and the need for collective responses to these developments the Pakhshi Peace Conference is hereby proposed and announced. Capsuleers from across New Eden, originating from all legitimate interstellar organisations (as recognised by CONCORD), will meet to discuss the necessary steps and provisions for the peaceful resolution of current conflicts. It is the hope of the Pakhshi Peace Conference Organising Committee that the conference will be able to articulate a common vision for a just peace which we can then collectively, and independently, petition our respective governments with.

The conference will last for one month during which time capsuleers will engage with all topics and issues identified by them as being necessary for the achievement of a just peace. The General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference will consist of all capsuleers in attendance and will be responsible for: identifying those issues and topics in need of addressing, accepting/rejecting/amending proposed solutions to these issues and the wording of the clauses for the Pakhshi Peace Plan, and finally for ratifying the Pakhshi Peace Plan.

Each issue or topic identified by the initial session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference will be assigned a commission. These commissions shall be comprised of those capsuleers whose interstellar organisations it concerns or whom have interest/utility in belonging to the commission. These commissions shall debate in detail, and in private, the particulars of the issue or topic and eventually arriving at a solution will put the proposed clause to the General Congress for consideration. Each commission shall have a Chair, and a Secretary – as voted on by the members.

Milestones

Week One 01/05 – 07/05

Day One – Welcome and opening of the conference (Social/Administrative RP mainly, people getting passes issued, being shown offices and quarters, a ballroom ceremony opening the conference with a brief speech).

Day Two – First Session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference begins (Political RP mainly, expecting people to make their political agendas apparent during this session, not much work on the issues to be treated specifically more political positioning and looking for supporters/opponents).

Day Three-Six – First Session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference continues (Political & Administrative RP mainly punctuated with social RP. Now we will begin to see the issues in need of addressing beginning to be lodged, debated, and disputed. We will also have lots of admin work going on with those people overseeing that side of things moving back forth. Also as with any diplomatic event there will be a lot of talk going on in the bar, bedrooms, and offices. These 4 days will no doubt have the blocs begin to form and come together. A lot of self-directed RP during these days, with Congress in session only at optimal times OOCly).

Day Seven – First Session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference ends (Political/Administrative RP with a social event, the issues identified hopefully, commissions assigned and capsuleers’ roles on them decided, closing remarks at the end of the session, and a small drinks event at the end to drown sorrows or cheer successes – just generally bracing yourself with Dutch courage for the next two weeks).

Week Two 08/05 – 14/05
Commissions are in session for this week, the RP that develops and evolves here will differ with each commission. From the central event we will be having lots of admin stuff, people filling reports, requesting information or statistics, here is where some of the in-space action starts happening more with shuttles ferrying things.

Week Three 15/05 – 21/05
Second Session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference (Commissions suggested clauses for the final document will be presented for debate and discussion, with their nature being accepted, rejected outright, or amended. How this second session evolves will also determine what occurs in week four, with commissions perhaps having to go back and look at issues again, or with new commissions to handle new issues).

Week Four 22/05 – 28/05
Commissions are in session for this week again, the exact nature of them will depend on the second session of the General Congress. It will assuredly have a mix of old commissions returning to look again at those solutions which the General Congress rejected, and new commissions to address issues/topic which hadn’t been addressed in the second week. Again the RP here will be diverse and defined by the individual commissions, with the overarching administrative and in-space backdrop occurring again.

Last 2 days 29/05 – 31/05
Final Session of the General Congress of the Pakhshi Peace Conference (It all comes down to these two days, here will the new suggested clauses be looked at amended or accepted or even rejected. This session will either propose the Pakhshi Peace Plan or failing that nothing or perhaps something else as determined by those present. The last day will conclude with a ball, the tone of which you can imagine will be determined by the final session’s success or failure).

There we go a bit of a better outline of the event I have in mind, still hazy and being detailed in some places as you can obviously see but I hope this will give people a better idea; and perhaps decide for them one way or the other if they want to get involved.

I hope it hasn’t diminished the interest, as I think an event of this nature with a central driving story but with the decentralised approach allows for people to craft their own stories in and around it while giving enough of a common thread that we feel our and everyone’s actions are purposeful. I am sure the month-long event may worry some people, but don’t worry how the commissions run is up to those players involved a mixture of physical/holo meetings with lots of evemail exchanges is how I imagine them going on. And again with the general congress that will occur at optimal times OOCly. I hope the few social events and venues will also help people feel like it isn’t just one big boring conference.

I will be adding more detail to this outline in the coming weekend, the dates mentioned were just for my rough estimation it may be later in May and run into early June. :)
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2015, 04:01 by Arkon Sarain »

Valadeus

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:57 »

Wow, nice outline. Seems like a good time, to be honest. I'm looking forward to attending.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #48 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:02 »

Running it through May makes its slightly interesting for me, as the first week and a half I will be very busy irl with exams. I'm still interested in getting involved but I may have to start off in something of an observers role.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #49 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:12 »

Nice.

If I may though, you will have to set up schedules and dates for the events themselves, like the official debates and conferences, because of timezones. From experience, if there is no schedule and people are free to do things all day, then it will remain very sparse and chaotic, and not very focused. So, not very different than what you already see on the summit when politics suddenly happen. It doesn't prevent people to RP and speak between themselves besides at their times of convenience, but you need properly scheduled conferences, at least to bring people to formalize and concretize what they have been debating all day informally.

Then, you also have mailing lists at your disposal. I would suggest to heavily make use of those, for every comission, etc.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #50 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:18 »

Wow, nice outline. Seems like a good time, to be honest. I'm looking forward to attending.

Running it through May makes its slightly interesting for me, as the first week and a half I will be very busy irl with exams. I'm still interested in getting involved but I may have to start off in something of an observers role.

Ah the joys of exams, best of luck by the way! :) But yes I am hoping the length and breadth of the event will give people plenty of time to accommodate their real life demands :)

Nice.

If I may though, you will have to set up schedules and dates for the events themselves, like the official debates and conferences, because of timezones. From experience, if there is no schedule and people are free to do things all day, then it will remain very sparse and chaotic, and not very focused. So, not very different than what you already see on the summit when politics suddenly happen. It doesn't prevent people to RP and speak between themselves besides at their times of convenience, but you need properly scheduled conferences, at least to bring people to formalize and concretize what they have been debating all day informally.

Then, you also have mailing lists at your disposal. I would suggest to heavily make use of those, for every comission, etc.

Definitely, as I mentioned it is still a rough outline (just a bit more than the plain idea of a conference I had when starting this thread). :) I will assuredly be giving set times and dates for the main central milestones of the conference. And each commission, and the congress itself will have a mailing list, the dates and times for the commissions though will be arranged by the members of the commission specifically.

But yes fear not there will be some definite structure to this event to help keep things purposeful and coherent, I just always like to keep people in the loop as things develop and evolve so I can work in any feedback they give me. :D

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 24 Apr 2015, 12:17 »

Huh, interesting way of doing this.

Here are my questions: How much are you expecting to go on per day? Because if you are asking people to show up for multiple-hour-long speeches and discussions for several days each week - I will warn you right now, people are going to start bailing.

If, on the other hand, this is merely meant to provide a framework of times for people to be involved within which RP can develop as it pleases, that's a different matter. Of course, it may be difficult to get everyone on the same level then.

I guess the big questions I have are:
- How many days of each week are you expecting 'mandatory' RP events to be on?
- How many hours are you expecting each days' event to run? (Note: I suggest adding 2-3 hours to your estimates.)
- What events can still be run if people are continually filtering in and out?
- What time limits should be placed on thing like major speeches and turns at debate (to prevent things from running on too long)?
- For events run at regular times over the weeks - what about people who cannot make those times?

My initial intuition is that this might be better done in a smaller, tighter timeframe - perhaps 2 weeks instead of four. I'm concerned that by the end, burnout will be hitting people hard and they'll be simply failing to show up. But, that's just a suggestion - not a demand.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 Apr 2015, 12:35 »

I see the proposed site is in Genesis, which is good. That means most legit pilots can attend. However there is only one station in system. So where will all those diplomatic shuttles be going to and from?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 24 Apr 2015, 13:10 »

Maybe from Yulai to Pakshi ?

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #54 on: 24 Apr 2015, 13:24 »

My initial intuition is that this might be better done in a smaller, tighter timeframe - perhaps 2 weeks instead of four. I'm concerned that by the end, burnout will be hitting people hard and they'll be simply failing to show up. But, that's just a suggestion - not a demand.
Alternately, spread it out over a longer period and have weeks in between with no formal conference stuff going on.
-OOChé

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #55 on: 24 Apr 2015, 13:26 »

So where will all those diplomatic shuttles be going to and from?
Also, maybe the commissions could decide a more convenient meeting point for their sessions. Caldari Prime could be a logical choice for Caldari-Gallente issues, for example.
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #56 on: 24 Apr 2015, 13:36 »

Personally I would do like Ché suggests. An event per week that can be the focus point. And maybe more little ones dedicated to every commission...

Letos

« Reply #57 on: 24 Apr 2015, 13:41 »

Nice ideas so far! Four weeks is an impressive timeframe. It could reduce the number of people actively following through the whole thing. To focus decentralized working groups, negotiations, and debates it could be helpfull to have some fixed deadlines when working papers have to be submitted in order to put them on the agenda of a formal debate. Independent groups could work out their own schedule while the results would be gathered and discussed in formal assemblies. Those working papers would also allow the not so deeply involved audience to get into the topics and debates. Or something like that^^

Thal Vadam

• "The" Templar
  • Clonejack
« Reply #58 on: 24 Apr 2015, 15:18 »

Sounds very fun. I've actually attended a conference as such IRL. Was a lot of fun and I can't wait to excperiance it ICly.
"I do what I do because it is the right thing to do. I am a warrior, and it is the way of the warrior to fight superior odds."
Thal Vadam

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #59 on: 24 Apr 2015, 16:04 »

Huh, interesting way of doing this.

Here are my questions: How much are you expecting to go on per day? Because if you are asking people to show up for multiple-hour-long speeches and discussions for several days each week - I will warn you right now, people are going to start bailing.

If, on the other hand, this is merely meant to provide a framework of times for people to be involved within which RP can develop as it pleases, that's a different matter. Of course, it may be difficult to get everyone on the same level then.

I guess the big questions I have are:
- How many days of each week are you expecting 'mandatory' RP events to be on?
- How many hours are you expecting each days' event to run? (Note: I suggest adding 2-3 hours to your estimates.)
- What events can still be run if people are continually filtering in and out?
- What time limits should be placed on thing like major speeches and turns at debate (to prevent things from running on too long)?
- For events run at regular times over the weeks - what about people who cannot make those times?

Hey Esna, thanks for the thoughts and questions they are very helpful. I will answer each in turn :)

How much are you expecting to go on per day?
This will vary depending on the week: during the weeks were the General Congress is in session I am looking at one 2-3 hour event a week, the Commissions however are more self-directed with their own internal events and so is open to the negotiation between the members thereof.

How many days of each week are you expecting 'mandatory' RP events to be on?
During the General Congress weeks there will be one event a day, 2-3 hours long.

How many hours are you expecting each days' event to run?
For the General Congress 2-3 hours, as for the commissions that is for the individual on them to decide internally. Press conferences at the end of each week will last one hour no longer, the social events will undoubtedly drag on but the 'official' part of them will only be 2-3 hours.

What events can still be run if people are continually filtering in and out?
Plenty. :) I am not sure if you've ever seen a General Assembly session of the UN but delegations are constantly coming and going, some never arriving, etc. sometimes it is a statement and other times just a matter of limited time/resources. Of course determining whether a character is absent out of conflicting commitments or neglect/political statement is something that will be an exciting IC interaction. I will be structuring each event of the conference to facilitate the filtering in and out of people.

What time limits should be placed on thing like major speeches and turns at debate?
This is something I would prefer to be decided IC during the first session. As much as possible I prefer not to limit IC interactions by deciding OOCly aspects which could lead to conflict: for example Arkon as chair will be enforcing a time limit regardless, but if no one brings it up and decides it in the first session characters may see his enforcement as haphazard or politically motivated.

I see the proposed site is in Genesis, which is good. That means most legit pilots can attend. However there is only one station in system. So where will all those diplomatic shuttles be going to and from?

Yes I figured it worked nicely, though I also like saying Pakhshi Peace Plan - I will let you decide which was a bigger influence on my decision ;)

As Ché suggests the commissions will no doubt set locations that aren't in Pakhshi and so shuttles will be running between the various locations. Also the commissions are free to ask the organising committee for "statistics" or "resources" and these items may not be found in Pakhshi so the shuttles will be running all over picking up things. :)

Nice ideas so far! Four weeks is an impressive timeframe. It could reduce the number of people actively following through the whole thing. To focus decentralized working groups, negotiations, and debates it could be helpfull to have some fixed deadlines when working papers have to be submitted in order to put them on the agenda of a formal debate. Independent groups could work out their own schedule while the results would be gathered and discussed in formal assemblies. Those working papers would also allow the not so deeply involved audience to get into the topics and debates. Or something like that^^

Again I think setting these deadlines OOC would limit IC interactions. :) Deadlines, procedures of debate, etc. would be something that would be negotiated during the first session of the General Congress in its first two meetings. As I have said previously I am of the opinion that putting these structures in place as a result of OOC rather than via IC negotiation limits RP - it denies people the chance to manipulate the structure for their IC political agenda, removes the opportunity for intense debate/outrage/exciting compromise because a lot of what causes consternation during conference is the structure and procedures of the conference itself.

And the notion of the informal working groups giving feedback to the general assembly is exactly what the commissions are. :) They are the small groups with interest/expertise in a given area who develop the proposed solution to the issue, writing the proposed clause for the peace plan, and then submitting it to the General Congress. :) How they develop these proposed clauses will be a diverse mix of RP as determined by the members of the commission: mailing list, physical/holo meetings, etc.

Thank you all for the awesome feedback, I am very glad for it as it is helping me tighten up and make more coherent the outline for the event OOCly :) I am certain that by the end of this weekend I should have an outline that addresses many of the concerns and incorporates the feedback you've all given and continue to give. :)
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2015, 07:02 by Arkon Sarain »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5