Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The founder of Zainou Biotech, Todo Kirkinen, was the first person to have his mind transfered into a machine? Ishukone owns a majority stake of Zainou.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [EVENT] - Peace Conference - Interest Check  (Read 16555 times)

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
[EVENT] - Peace Conference - Interest Check
« on: 20 Apr 2015, 21:18 »

Hello All,

So this is an idea I have had kicking around in my head for a little bit, and after a few interactions in-game I have had and interactions I have seen occur, I believe there would be some interest in it.

I will place two caveats here: Firstly I am sure this has been done before, as almost everything has, however this does not diminish the enjoyment or the unique stories that might emerge from this iteration; secondly I am well aware that peace in New Eden is impossible from an OOC perspective, this doesn't mean as characters in the universe we are aware of this.

So what is it I am suggesting? A conference of capsuleers from each of the main empires, and preferably with representation from the more minor "legal" factions, where the participants come together to negotiate and develop a "pathway to peace." This "pathway to peace" would be a proposal outlining the steps and necessary features for lasting peace in New Eden, as conceived by those characters involved.

It would not be a legal document obviously, but simply a proposal. Further a feature which I think will make it interesting will be the fact that the negotiation process will be "private" with characters signing an agreement not to disclose the negotiations (of course people can choose to break that agreement, and it will lead to some cool conflicts and RP I am sure); so that way at the end of the conference everyone involved steps out with one voice and one vision.

However do not take this to mean I am intending the conference to produce a proposal, if throughout the event we cannot reach a consensus then the peace conference fails. And this is not OOCly a bad thing as it will give us all some amazing stories to develop and react to, how would someone who dreams of peace react to the failure of it for example. Just as the success of it would also give development and things for hardliners to react and interact with.

This is the broad outline of what I am proposing, the actual event would run for a month or more with a dedicated channel. We would have lots of fun I am sure arguing over seating arrangements, size of flags, and of course if we get past those things discussing and describing the proposed pathway itself :D

So consider this a little interest check, if your character would be interested post here and we can work out ways to approach broaching the idea ICly. :)
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2015, 09:07 by Arkon Sarain »

Sarro Azizora

• Clonejack
Re: [EVENT] - Peace Conference - Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2015, 21:23 »

I believe this would be a wonderful event to take part in. Count me in of course.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2015, 21:24 »

I believe this would be a wonderful event to take part in. Count me in of course.

Hehe nice to know Arkon ain't going to be alone from those peeps in the Tribunal in organising this :D

Astera Zandraki

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2015, 21:38 »

Count me in! humanitarian interventions for everyone!

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2015, 21:40 »

Count me in! humanitarian interventions for everyone!

I am going to look forward to seeing you negotiate that XD Either way awesomesauce, glad to hear that the idea holds interest :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2015, 22:44 »

I'm not sure how Morwen might go about expressing interest in something like this, given things, but it might be something up her alley given past work.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2015, 23:17 »

In the longer run, it might be worth considering longer-term, more indirect methods of encouraging peace.

The Nobel Committee doesn't directly stump for causes, IIRC, but the Peace Prize is dynamite, politically (so to speak).

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2015, 23:21 »

I'm not sure how Morwen might go about expressing interest in something like this, given things, but it might be something up her alley given past work.

Awesome to hear that :D We will have to put on our thinking caps and find a way, but I am sure it is possible. :)

In the longer run, it might be worth considering longer-term, more indirect methods of encouraging peace.

The Nobel Committee doesn't directly stump for causes, IIRC, but the Peace Prize is dynamite, politically (so to speak).

That is something that might emerge from the conference as something to be done. Also on the subject of the Nobel Peace Prize those awarded it do actually stump for causes as you say, see the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates. :)

So think of the conference more in the vein of that than a peace award, which New Eden already has an analogue for. :)
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2015, 23:40 by Arkon Sarain »

Sahriah Bloodstone

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2015, 00:14 »

This sounds like an intriguing idea. I believe Sahriah would be interested in anything that may affect her line of work but I am unsure if she would be welcome considering her job really revolves around people not getting along. Either way I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2015, 01:40 »

That's an interesting idea.

I guess that we could also have people showing up that actually want war and will do anything to put the negociations in jeopardy out of political agendas, Netanyahu style. That could be awesome.

Also, could be a good time to resurrect the New Eden Assembly, though... There are already too many channels from what I gather and they have reached a critical mass for people to keep them active.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:37 »

This sounds like an intriguing idea. I believe Sahriah would be interested in anything that may affect her line of work but I am unsure if she would be welcome considering her job really revolves around people not getting along. Either way I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I am glad you find it intriguing :D One of the ways perhaps she can keep involved is by attending press conferences which I imagine will happen throughout the event. Of course if you want to get her involved in other ways, both positively and negatively I encourage you to do so (in fact check my response to Lyn below for one of those potential ways ;) ).

That's an interesting idea.

I guess that we could also have people showing up that actually want war and will do anything to put the negociations in jeopardy out of political agendas, Netanyahu style. That could be awesome.

Also, could be a good time to resurrect the New Eden Assembly, though... There are already too many channels from what I gather and they have reached a critical mass for people to keep them active.

Awesomesauce, I am glad a few people have found it as potentially interesting as I do.

And exactly, attendance doesn't necessarily mean your character supports peace you could do exactly that look to sabotage the negotiations and of course what happens if the proposal manages to pass through despite your efforts is another cool story/development for you and others to interact with: do you break the agreement and talk about how the negotiations went, do you walk out and refuse to sign your name to it, or a myriad of other things :D

A further addendum to the subject of sabotage I would like to place the conference in space to some extent, one of the ways I was considering was to have shuttles moving between various stations throughout the month or so carrying "reports." This would give those who oppose the conference something to shoot at, and the destruction of them would force the delegates to react, etc. Yes I know technically the "reports" could all be sent electronically, but that would be dull and uninteresting, and limits people's ability to have their characters interact with this event. Just one idea I had around the conference, I am still drawing up the outline of the event and plan to give it more structure over the coming week.

And the New Eden Assembly channel could perhaps be something that the conference suggests as being necessary for promoting the cause of peace; and perhaps nominates it or another channel to facilitate further discussions on the proposal for peace. I can certainly see this being something that gets attached to the proposal. :D

Definitely want to hear from more people though, see if the interest in an event of this scale and nature is there :)

Kybernetes

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:04 »

It'd definitely be cool to see something like this going on; I don't recall anything similar ever happening on a large-ish scale.

Of course, it'd be disingenuous for the Sansha's Nation-aligned Kyber to put in an appearance. My old NOH guy Vaun may have done, but ho-hum; will watch with OOC interest if nothing else!

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:20 »

It'd definitely be cool to see something like this going on; I don't recall anything similar ever happening on a large-ish scale.

Of course, it'd be disingenuous for the Sansha's Nation-aligned Kyber to put in an appearance. My old NOH guy Vaun may have done, but ho-hum; will watch with OOC interest if nothing else!

While those capsuleers whose loyalty is openly declared for those groups whom are regarded as "illegal" wouldn't get an invite, it doesn't mean you can't get involved. :D You could petition to have yourselves involved, create a media storm on how the conference is excluding you and other necessary voices for peace, etc. I would definitely love to see this and would be more than happy to help work out the details for it :D

Though ICly the event is about peace and its promotion, OOCly its motivation is to help us create interesting and exciting stories around our characters and their place in the world - and assuredly that which is interesting and exciting is rarely a result of smooth sailing. :)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:30 »

For shuttle attacks maybe you can find objects, item or persons that require to be transported, and not in cloaky ships ?

For Sansha and piwate supporters, nothing prevents them to send crooked agents that work under cover for X respectable entity, and even if some of them are quickly labelled as blatantly working for shady interests, they might not be outright declared as pirate or whatever, and so would not really be expellable.

Letos

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:00 »

Hello All,

So this is an idea I have had kicking around in my head for a little bit...

This is a wonderful proposal. I don't have a clue what would propably come out of this, but just trying would be a lot of fun, I think :D Count me in. If you need any help for preparations, brainstorming, or event support, let me know.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2015, 05:03 by Haria Haritimado »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5