Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What would you do  (Read 5159 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: What would you do
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:53 »

Very little. Which is not an issue.

War is in response to actions, not words. If RPers aren't doing actions worth warring over, then why waste your time and isk on them? It gives them more attention than they deserve.
The action in this situation is the act of "mouth running."

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2014, 15:07 »

Very little. Which is not an issue.

War is in response to actions, not words. If RPers aren't doing actions worth warring over, then why waste your time and isk on them? It gives them more attention than they deserve.
The action in this situation is the act of "mouth running."

If PIE wardecced everyone that ran their mouth about us, we'd be in a lot of wars.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2014, 15:11 »

If PIE wardecced everyone that ran their mouth about us, we'd be in a lot of wars.
The tone of your post suggests that something about this idea should be perceived negatively.

I cannot find the negative aspect.

Is it a bankroll issue?

Also, PIE as an organization is pretty deep into the "Pretend to be good guys" aspect of the Amarr RP scene.  So it wouldn't be ICly sensible for them to wardec everyone who runs off at the mouth anyway.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2014, 15:26 »

Yes, I do think a propensity for starting wars over trivial issues does convey a negative image. Shows a lack of dignity and composure, it proves that the petty insults are right.

Not to say that that matters to people. To some it doesn't. But the question of the thread is, "What would you do", so, that's my opinion on it.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2014, 15:35 »

Wardeccing over anything and everything:

Takes a bit more to make it worth it, as far as I'm concerned. No reason to lend legitimacy to everyone with an attitude.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2014, 15:41 »

War is in response to actions...

Like hugs.  Just sayin'

;-)

*smacks Mitty*

Knowing what this is in reference to... :lol: :cube:

I'm with Samira though, on all of the points she's raised.

And kudos to Luna for doing things the way she did. I got to watch some of the fallout from that.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2014, 16:22 »

This presupposes declared wars can have any effect at all on people who don't want to fight, especially most RP corps.

You lose more isk and fun playtime waiting for target to undock than anything you accomplish otherwise.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2014, 16:25 »

I generally fall into the category of "don't bother making a big deal out of things that don't actually hurt you" category.

I also tend be rather more wary regarding the use of mercenaries, as - with some exceptions, notably Stormcrows - mercenaries tend to be non-RP types who cost a great deal to hire; in this case, it becomes less a case of "developing content" and more "who has the deepest pockets can squash anyone they want without lifting a finger themselves". This is not particularly beneficial for gameplay or roleplay development.

In the end, there is no single answer to this kind of question because there are to many variables to consider - what was the "insult"? Was the person who used it already in RP conflict specifically with the person insulted, or was it out of the blue? Who are the mercs, and what exactly are they being hired to do - fight alone, or assist the insulted in fighting back? Does the person being wardecced have fixed assets or specific operations that can be actively targeted, or will it be just starting a war for the sake of starting a war?

Each situation is different and must be addressed differently.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2014, 16:53 »

Also, I answered like Samira, with the same thoughts behind. But there is also more, there is the question of the character himself/herself. I played a character that would be completely puzzled as to why war deccing over those things. Some other characters would definitely not let the insult be unanswered and would go completely berserk until the insult is washed by blood (<3 Silas, and I still hate good old Aldy for diplo-ing out of that).

Each situation is really unique on its own. Let's say, Synthia, that in your example the startup corp collapsed under the weight of the war. Some could say that maybe it's for the better and that corp was already started on a bad basis if it cannot even stand its first trial of fire. Some could also say that the war was completely out of proportion, especially if the people inside this corp were novices and not grizzled vets. Was the war too harsh on the players behind, costed them basically everything, all the hours they injected in the game, or whatever just made it a terrible experience for the players behind to the point they just got disgusted and quit. Well, you can say what you want now at the top of your grizzled vet experience, but a lot of people would react quite differently with just a few weeks ingame behind them. There is always a threshold, a breaking point, where the player will just stop having fun and will leave. Be it due to griefing, wars, or just boredom, reasons are plenty. And ICly, the goal of a war is to crush the enemy to ashes. But OOCly, it can sometimes be different.

This is a rather complex issue imo.

I faced the exact same thing that you described a few times, and one that comes in mind is when I lead AM alliance into a totally RP/IC war over a gallente corp living in Solitude that were boasting completely IC things about gathering intel on us. Well, we had a lot of new blood with new corps in the alliance and we thought it would be good to revive the alliance roleplay while at the same time bringing all that new blood together, and what better than a war - a RP war ! - for that. We thought a lot before doing it thought, and that totally OOCly, because the corp in question was actually not doing very well and most of their activity had dropped to abysmal levels. So, an alliance of over hundreds members deccing a dying RP corp full of carebears, what ? 10 active members ? Like, 5 vs 1 ? We really feared that we would just crush their corp and cause a lot of bad blood OOCly behind. Well, they deserved it, right ? Probably, but still, the outcome was still not good to have.

Well it turned out that the campaign turned very bad for us after a few first good days, and due to various issues (logistics, all the vets in vacations, etc), the target corp actually found a lot of fun in skirmishing and playing with our noobs, while being total noobs themselves, and they had great fun. I think by doing that war we actually saved their corp, which lasted then for years, grew in numbers, and got involved in a lot of Syndicate/Solitude pvp.

So... It's very hard to tell, what's wrong or what's right to do in such cases. I would just say that if you happen to war dec someone, the best bet can sometimes be to moderate a bit the victory at all costs syndrome (which often involves a lot of OOC tactics to win anyway), and try to actually focus on the fun behind rather than the win. Especially for RP, where focusing on the (good) IC drama and the character development, and thus, the fun, should always take precedence over winning at RP.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2014, 16:57 by Lyn Farel »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2014, 20:34 »

Wardeccing over anything and everything:

Sweet baby jesus I choked on my beer trying not to spit it. I'm still coughing between fits of laughter.

Norrin Ellis

• Manager, EVE Online Hold'Em
  • Wetgraver
    • EVE Online Hold'Em
« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2014, 21:55 »

Ignoring them will ultimately get the same results.  Something new will become flavor of the month RP or another faction will get CCP's spotlight, so groups will splinter anyway as folks jump on the new bandwagon.

Karynn

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2014, 01:43 »

Would most definitely wardec them. Have done so before over an insult, would do again.

My small RP corp vs their small RP corp might even develop its own fun story, so I see no reason why not to fork out the 50mil and see what happens!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2014, 05:24 »

I'd say wardec. But ideally the dec should come from you, the insulted party.

I figure if someone insults you they are looking to engage. Either in a slanging match or in combat. Either way they are looking to engage with you. Not your proxies.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:38 »

I'd say wardec. But ideally the dec should come from you, the insulted party.

I figure if someone insults you they are looking to engage. Either in a slanging match or in combat. Either way they are looking to engage with you. Not your proxies.

That may be what they expect, but it's not what they will always get and for good reason.

It's not practical in every case to go after a smacktalker on the other side of the cluster. People talk shit to I-RED all the time, and while we are fully capable of taking on almost any other roleplaying group toe-to-toe, we're not going to deploy to Great Wildlands because you happen to live there and run your mouth all the time.  Even more likely we'll ignore you, but in the off chance you actually put some effort into your aggressive roleplaying and look like you might be fun to mess with, we'll hire mercs.

Sorry, but just because you talk shit doesn't entitle you to us coming down there to find you and wait outside station for two weeks. If anything, it places the onus on you to come where we live and back your fuckin words up.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:43 »

PYRE eagerly awaits your wardecs  ;)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: 1 [2] 3