Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What would you do  (Read 5163 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
What would you do
« on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:27 »

A situation that occurred to a friend a while back. Last year or so.

They were posting in The Summit, as they usually do, when someone made an insulting remark about them.

So, because of timezones and other such concerns, they hired a mercenary corporation against the person that insulted them.

The result was that the target corporation first splintered into different groups, then closed altogether, with the members going their separate ways.

Thing was, the target corporation was a RP project that had yet to really get going, and the splintering may have caused some bad feeling ooc between the players involved.

So, what should have been done in that situation ? Should my friend have simply ignored the insults, in the interests of a healthier RP community ? Or would that have been a bit patronising ? What would you have done ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: What would you do
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:36 »

How very vague. Also, a very bit more recent than last year if chat logs are to be believed.
Can't really provide input on such vague information though, can we?

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:17 »

I chose war.

This is a game about internet spaceships. That pew each other. You Your friend played the game as intended. Fledgling corps rp or otherwise die everyday in New Eden.

I would of just put a few billion bounty on their corp and done the merc myself though.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:27 »

If it was a non-RP related event, i wouldn't care .....mercenary or war, just crushing the soul of other players is an area where eve shines.

However, if my enemy is an RP corp...a "smallish" one that is just starting ...then i would quite more lenient, why? because i want those guys to survive and provide more content for me in the future..and together create a strong weaving in eve.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:35 »

War.

Don't give a shit about start-ups.  If you're not ready to fight, have the good sense to not run your mouth.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2014, 13:41 »

I think I posted several things on that kind of situations, and how OOC interests most of the times directly conflicts with IC interests. It's the whole dilemna of RP in Eve, where the game itself often proves detrimental the health of any community.

Can't be bothered to find them back...  :|

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:19 »

Chose war.  Being new doesn't entitle anyone to get away with insults. Besides, the start-up corp could actually make a name for themselves and get a boost if they acquit themselves well in space.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:22 »

Laugh it off.

There are things to war over, and whether it's a small or startup corp or not is irrelevant. But warring over petty insults is probably making yourself look worse off by getting bent out of shape over them.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:23 »

If it was a non-RP related event, i wouldn't care .....mercenary or war, just crushing the soul of other players is an area where eve shines.

However, if my enemy is an RP corp...a "smallish" one that is just starting ...then i would quite more lenient, why? because i want those guys to survive and provide more content for me in the future..and together create a strong weaving in eve.

This.  There was umm.. a war luna had a role in instigating.  A rather concious decision was made to hire a rp merc corp and to try to involve other rp corps/rpers for rp reasons/negotiations as opposed to a "standard" eve approach for precisely this reason - both so there'd be rp in the war itself and any interactions as opposed to a bunch of outsiders blowing everyone up.  I did take some heat for that in some circles, but I stand by that choice and am happy with the rp content it generated.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:32 »

I'd vote war if the damn poll would let me vote! 

Slights cannot be taken! Death! Death! Death!
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:32 »

Laugh it off.

There are things to war over, and whether it's a small or startup corp or not is irrelevant. But warring over petty insults is probably making yourself look worse off by getting bent out of shape over them.

for many rp corps, that don't have sovereignty, or POS, what do they actually have to go to war over, other than perceived insults on the IGS or whatever ?
\o/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:35 »

Very little. Which is not an issue.

War is in response to actions, not words. If RPers aren't doing actions worth warring over, then why waste your time and isk on them? It gives them more attention than they deserve.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:38 »

Very little. Which is not an issue.

War is in response to actions, not words. If RPers aren't doing actions worth warring over, then why waste your time and isk on them? It gives them more attention than they deserve.

Yeah pretty much this.

That said, wars are fun.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:39 »

War is in response to actions...

Like hugs.  Just sayin'

;-)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2014, 14:41 »

War is in response to actions...

Like hugs.  Just sayin'

;-)

*smacks Mitty*
Pages: [1] 2 3