Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raiders are part of an ancient cultist faction called Sani Sabik, which first appeared on Amarr Prime thousands of years ago? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ret-Cons of CCP actor character actions, and ret cons in general  (Read 3422 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

On the IGS recently, a character made a remark about another character. That remark was inaccurate, and I knew this to be the case, because Synthia happened to be at the event at which the alleged incident occurred, as were many other players, and a CCP event actor.

So I wrote a clarification on what did actually happen, from Synthia's point of view of the events that occurred within Synthia's line of sight.

Then, to my great surprise, I received an evemail from the character about who the remark was made, who said that they had been told, by none other than CCP themselves, that the event (an event run by a player), was "non-canon", and "never happened".

Which I found somewhat surprising.

Because this was the first I've heard of it, despite being at that event, as were dozens of other players.

Where does this leave the history that many player characters have, which includes interaction with CCP event actor characters ?

Example: Synthia interacted with several event actor characters - evemailing the Khanid Navy admiral to wish King Khanid a happy birthday. If CCP event actor actions are to be considered non-canon, then what does that mean ?

As it turns out, this is not the first interaction that I have had with characters who stated that events had never occurred. There was a previous occasion where a character stated that a particular event "never happened", because they "ret-conned it". Although in that case, it appeared to be just themselves who were "ret-conning" something, and not claiming that it was CCP who were behind it.

So, to what extent is public RP, unilaterally retconnable, by a single involved person ?

To me, the whole idea of saying "this never happened", without 100% agreement from all the people who were there, is completely alien and baffling

Redacted.

*Havo wuz herre.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2014, 08:17 by Havohej »
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

Do they/we have any evemails or forum posts indicating that CCP has actually taken this position? I know that it's been said CCP Actors will not do anything in player run channels anymore, but this is the first I've heard of them redacting those previous interactions.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Can you be more specific? What event? What ccp character actor?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

And then True Slave Foundations stole a table.

Also this entire topic is hilarious flamebait and is going to be cast down into the abyss by the Great and Mighty Havohej, keeper of the Katacombs, to be gnawed forever by the Mizhoggur.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Doesn't need to be flamebait, if we all be adults and discuss it!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Yes that event did happen, things at that event did happen, witnessed by many. 

If people chose to be there, then they were there.  That's why public RP is important, because we make decisions with social ramifications.

So if someone did something they didn't like, then use it as character building and deal with it how your character would.

It's not a win/loss scenario, it's community storytelling.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

yeah, it's not like they retconned Colelie just because event actors talked on The Summit

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

... to be gnawed forever by the Mizhoggur.

This may be the coolest thing anyone's ever said about me.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

yeah, it's not like they retconned Colelie just because event actors talked on The Summit

given how that event was received by lots of players, maybe they should have.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

[admin]Reviewed.  Feels borderline.  Everything so veil.  Much obscure.  Such secret.  Wow.  Clarify the OP and avoid assigning motives or casting aspersions while you do it.  If the actual topic of discussion isn't actually crystal clear in an hour's time, I'm Katacombing the whole thing.[/admin]
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2014, 13:48 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Actually this sits in my area of interest.....i created Federation Day years ago....and CCP never actually gave a nod of approval as cannon...but there were plenty of actors and mission texts that do indeed recognized it as a part of the eve universe, albeit indirectly.

If suddenly CCP backpedal from that...not sure how to take it.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Reviewed.  Feels borderline.  Everything so veil.  Much obscure.  Such secret.  Wow.  Clarify the OP and avoid assigning motives or casting aspersions while you do it.  If the actual topic of discussion isn't actually crystal clear in an hour's time, I'm Katacombing the whole thing.

topics have been clarified.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

A character made a remark about a character and some things happened.

I have no fucking clue what this thread is about.

Who said what where why how when, are we talking about the fucking Illuminati here?

[admin][/admin]

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

[admin]Unprecedented things happening ITT.  Resurrected from the Katacombs and unlocked.[/admin]
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2014, 15:41 by Havohej »

Twitter

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

LORD HAVOHEJ....

FEED ME.
Pages: [1] 2 3