Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa Corporation, or SuVee as it is commonly known, is the head of the self-proclaimed 'practical' faction within the Caldari State? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "This is EVE"  (Read 7583 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: "This is EVE"
« Reply #30 on: 22 Nov 2014, 20:11 »

I found the audio / gameplay represented to be pretty valid for my personal gameplay experience.

They also aren't going to show people raging on audio for their trailer.

funny point though, I seriously doubt most of those people were using official EVE VOICE for their fleets.  They should give teamspeak a shout out.

If it were my IP I'd spin off the lore team to write and get the cgi trailer people doing full length animated pew pew movies, which we would all pay money to see. 

And give me a goddamned cinematic camera and offline mode so i can make movies.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 22 Nov 2014, 20:22 »

On the subject of needing years of SP before seeing these things...

... yeah, flat out wrong. Give me a newbie, put him through the tutorial quests (all of them), maybe the SSoE epic arc just to get a little positive standings to start with and time to train some bare essentials and after that it'll take me 24 hours max to get him in a fleet to have a little pewpew. A Maulus maybe, or a cheap tackler. He won't be taking on titans his first time around, but he'll get to be in a fleet with TS3, laughter, a little welp here and a kill there and just maybe he'll even get to be the hero that "was there".

All you need to be part of Eve in high, low or null is a bit of guts. You won't solo Ava's wolf, dominate a market hub or FC a nullsec blob but you'll be there. The trick is finding someone to play with, and never trusting them an inch. It'll be cutthroat and it'll be fun.

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #32 on: 22 Nov 2014, 20:40 »

I saw some pretty crazy shit with only 20mil sp, its more so who your with than what you actually can do yourself....

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #33 on: 22 Nov 2014, 21:25 »

honestly I'm kinda surprised they didn't have any footage of CFC..... one of the segments mentioned they were fighting razor but...... the goons and CFC like it or not are a big entity and not having them in it is........ wierd. Correct me if I'm wrong if one of the parts were them, I didn't notice any...

Goon comms would be one continuous censored bleep.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 22 Nov 2014, 21:37 »

honestly I'm kinda surprised they didn't have any footage of CFC..... one of the segments mentioned they were fighting razor but...... the goons and CFC like it or not are a big entity and not having them in it is........ wierd. Correct me if I'm wrong if one of the parts were them, I didn't notice any...

Goon comms would be one continuous censored bleep.

Same with PL.

And @Miz, people checking the game out from trailers like that wouldn't even make it through the SoE arc before quitting. I've known so many people that never get that far because they find it boring as shit. And that's fine, it's not the game for them. But those sort of trailers misrepresent what EVE requires. 'This is EVE' is the wrong title.

Most of the content of that trailer is an infinitesimal part of EVE.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #35 on: 22 Nov 2014, 23:45 »

We took a girl, handed her a Kestrel with three webs, and turned her into a rabid killer, right out of the box.  You dont need years of SP to play this game.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2014, 00:06 »

I am not saying you do. People need to actually read what I am saying.

Nowhere have I mentioned SP floors for types of content. I am saying that a new player attracted by this sort of trailer who moseyed over to a trial would not find what that trailer depicts. They would get dumped into tutorials, Rookie Help, basic missions, and asshats on the official forums. Unless they already knew someone that was playing, there is nothing that being new to EVE gives you that remotely points toward what was in that trailer.

And even likelier scenario, if someone was brought to the game via that trailer, is that they go and look up the names of the alliances and try to contact them or ask about them when they start playing. At which point they would be promptly laughed at or called a spy.

Nowhere have I said that new players 'cannot' join in on fleets and have a blast, nor have I said that the things in the trailer do not happen. I am saying that if the trailer actually worked on some random gamer and they joined the game, they would find a completely different game than what is depicted and likely quit as a result.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 23 Nov 2014, 04:04 »

That is no different from any MMO. You don't get the content from the WoW trailers until you're days and days into the game, having leveled up enough to get the cool skills and reached the bigger and badder instances or whatever. You don't get to be the force wielding badasses in TOR trailers until you've grinded your way through a pretty mediocre gameplay experience. It took over a year before the big bad dragon that sold FFXIV copies to even be added to the game. Hell, I'm not even sure if it was this patch or a coming one that brought him.

Trailers aren't about the new player experience. They're about the peaks you'll experience. Eve is pretty damn unique in that it's actually possible to get into these things within 24 hours if you know the right person to take you there. Maybe not in a super, but certainly useful as a tackler. Give it a week, decent enough EWAR frig. Give it two weeks, maybe even logi frig. A month? Good frig pilot.

It's very doable in Eve. In other MMOs, you're still getting ten chicken gizzards, picking up five bits of wood and handing out soup to three hungry guardsmen at that time.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 23 Nov 2014, 04:11 »

That is different precisely because other MMOs follow a themepark model where the very linearity of it means that everything, if done right, take the player by the hand and guides him through all the leveling up to the high end game.

Eve is different on that, and doesn't offer any clear substitute for it. I made it in 2006 in the game through friends, started playing with them, and that's what kept me going. I would have started alone, I would have dropped. And lol, I didn't drop, and played like 7 years to their game just because friends were that precise substitute they do not have in their game. The kickstarting thing that makes you stay and find stuff to do and enjoy the game.

I don't even want to think on how many potential players that could play more than 5 years to their game and prove to be very loyal consumers they lose that way.

On the subject of needing years of SP before seeing these things...

... yeah, flat out wrong. Give me a newbie, put him through the tutorial quests (all of them), maybe the SSoE epic arc just to get a little positive standings to start with and time to train some bare essentials and after that it'll take me 24 hours max to get him in a fleet to have a little pewpew. A Maulus maybe, or a cheap tackler. He won't be taking on titans his first time around, but he'll get to be in a fleet with TS3, laughter, a little welp here and a kill there and just maybe he'll even get to be the hero that "was there".

All you need to be part of Eve in high, low or null is a bit of guts. You won't solo Ava's wolf, dominate a market hub or FC a nullsec blob but you'll be there. The trick is finding someone to play with, and never trusting them an inch. It'll be cutthroat and it'll be fun.

Most of the people put in that situation I knew literally left just after because the experience was too brutal. Not everyone is able to handle brutal death like that, especially when the first time it happens is pretty  much intense on the spectrum.

The fallacy is to assume that because you are part of a minority and it works for you will necessarily works for anyone. I have actually met a lot of more casual players (or carebears as they are called) that didn't follow that precise mindset and still were perfectly fine audience for the game. But yeah, it didn't work very well to try to force squares into triangle holes.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 23 Nov 2014, 04:28 »

And that's where the guts come in. This game requires it, unless you plan to orbit a rock all day. I like it that way, because it caters to a certain kind of player and that raises the quality of the game experience. I frankly have no use for the people who don't fit in Eve, because that'd mean the game was not what it currently is. A unique place for unique experiences no other MMO can offer.

The game isn't for everyone and that's its biggest selling point.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 23 Nov 2014, 05:07 »

I'm not speaking about people that do not fit in Eve.

Unless you are actually saying that people adopting a less hotheaded approach than you do are unfit for Eve ? I'm not even speaking about true carebears missioners here. And even for them, are they not worthy of Eve either ?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 23 Nov 2014, 05:27 »

You're talking to someone running more industry alts than combat characters. You have an odd way of attributing characteristics to people that are flagrantly false.

You said the experience was "too brutal" for these people. That means they don't fit in, in Eve. This means they don't have the guts for it. They are part of the demographic that does not fit in and should find another game that's more suitable to them. Eve holds the position it does because it is brutal. It's dangerous. It's cutthroat. It has consequences for fucking up. It requires the stamina and patience to prepare, work for your assets and capabilities. These are all good things and the people lacking the prerequisite mentality and capacity to handle them simply aren't who the game is made for.

If you changed the game to accommodate these people, you'd quite literally break Eve.

Dessau

« Reply #42 on: 23 Nov 2014, 06:47 »

Sadly for me, this trailer will not succeed in interesting my friends in the game, just as it has been with all trailers I've pointed at them since I started. In my case, it certainly isn't CCP's fault, but I can see the reach they're making with this one, similar to Dominion or Causality or 'I Was There'.

I wonder if new blood isn't getting harder to come by, but I haven't been in Rookie Help in years.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 23 Nov 2014, 07:10 »

Reddit is full of new blood right now, rookie help channel is flooded and there are stat pages showing quite a bit of new players. Retention will as always be the interesting bit.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 23 Nov 2014, 07:57 »

This trailer has literally caused my dad to start playing Eve, so they must be doing something right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5