Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: "This is EVE"  (Read 7585 times)

Visian Mu'artarkan

• Owner/Operator GZS Productions & Club Zer0
  • Clonejack
    • ground zero sum
Re: "This is EVE"
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:46 »

Well, I loved the trailer. Its easily the best one in my opinion since EVE Never Fades, it really shows the game and what makes it great.

So to the haters:

QFT
"Lies, manipulation, deceit...those are my tools in trade. The end game is always violence though. It's no good to just beat someone. You have to dissect their world and make 'em beg for an end. You twist 'em as much as you can and then you come down on 'em like the hammer of god." - Visian Mu'artarkan, Private Sessions

ground ze/ro sum

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:51 »

IMO Quantum Rise had the best trailer.

But this one is ok.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2014, 09:26 »

I have to disagree with you there, Lyn.

The trailer says "This game can be fun, listen to how much fun these dudes are having".

Which really is the essence of Vidyo Gaem.

I don't disagree with that, it's just that it basically shows them what is fun and nothing else, which is the 0,1%. I have seen countless friends trying the game because :awesome trailers: to suddenly see that it was nothing alike.

It's not really only endemic to CCP and eve online though. A lot of game companies do the same shit, though CCP are quite good at it.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2014, 11:01 »

Well, I loved the trailer. Its easily the best one in my opinion since EVE Never Fades, it really shows the game and what makes it great.

See, that's the thing. None of the stuff in this trailer is what makes EVE great for me, which is why it doesn't resonate with me. Except for maybe the starmap.

On the other hand, the lore trailers do show what makes EVE great for me. Lore sold the game to me, even if Kyoko thinks lore doesn't sell. So I like those more. My favorite trailers were the Empryean Age teasers (the news broadcasts), because those gave the feeling of living in a real alternate universe instead of just playing a game.

I'm not saying it's a bad trailer. It is a good one. Just not one I care for. I never cared for 'EVE is Real' or similar ones either.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2014, 11:04 by Samira Kernher »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:54 »

This trailer matches the direction CCP has been interested in for the last several years, and does a good job showcasing what they want to sell; having fun with your friends shooting people.  Its not a bad thing in itself, but its a different game than it used to be.

That lore-focused development team that got most of us interested in the universe and the IP is not there.  The same people who were pushing the lore and lore trailers I believe were mostly all liquidated. 

The trailer is certainly successful at selling the kind of game they want to sell, and it represents that well.

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2014, 13:34 »

Would love to see more lore videos as in Quantum Rise, but this I give thumbs up it was a good one, better then most other cinematic videos much due to comms.

Karynn

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2014, 14:03 »

I really liked it, makes me want to log in and play.
And I don't even use voice coms!

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2014, 14:19 »

The trailer is certainly successful at selling the kind of game they want to sell, and it represents that well.

Does it? Someone seeing that video and checking the game out will not experience anything in that trailer. A new player is not going to join Brave Newbies, or PL, or whoever. They are going to fly around doing tutorials, run a few missions, get called nubs by whoever the run into, and quit because they don't see the game the trailer advertised.

It's a trailer for a certain portion of the current player base. Not a trailer to try to get more subscribers. It's an apology trailer for what has happened to null.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2014, 15:08 »

I have to disagree with you there, Lyn.

The trailer says "This game can be fun, listen to how much fun these dudes are having".

Which really is the essence of Vidyo Gaem.

What was perhaps most misleading then were those guys laughing as they got their ships popped, or jumped into a bubble in Null sec. On a level I suppose some of us find it entertaining when our ships get destroyed. However I think for most of us, it's frustration and disappointment. "Oh no my Tengu!" Still, as you point out, the idea is to portray null sec fleet fights as hilarious social fun over voice comms.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2014, 15:54 »

When Anyanka talks again. She is (I am) going to always be on comms! Anyanka sounds like Dr. Girlfriend in real life.  :eek:

On topic, they should have corebloodbrothers and/or Dyntheos comms footage in next trailer!
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2014, 16:19 by Anyanka Funk »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2014, 16:47 »

Also, at least from my perspective, the last few "lore trailers" have been utterly disappointing by their insistence on focusing on capsuleers "rebelling" only through the apparent sheer stupidity of everyone in power.

Yes, it's disappointing to not see the lore background - without which I probably would not be playing EVE right now - but honestly it's a relief to see a trailer which doesn't leave my forehead experiencing rapid percussive contact with my keyboard. The last "lore trailer" I can say I really liked was EVE: Origins, and that was a rehash of the original intro.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2014, 17:20 »

... lol.

So I'm watching Twitter for Dragon Age Inquisition tweets, and suddenly this popped up from Mike Laidlaw (Bioware creative director):

Mike Laidlaw ‏@Mike_Laidlaw
Love this real-chat EvE Online trailer. I've never done the big corp thing, but even small roams are a blast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Mike Laidlaw ‏@Mike_Laidlaw
It can still be a spreadsheet, but when your ship blowing up means it and all its tech is GONE, it's a bloody emotional spreadsheet.

Wasn't really expecting EVE commentary while reading Bioware dev tweets.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2014, 17:52 »

When Anyanka talks again. She is (I am) going to always be on comms! Anyanka sounds like Dr. Girlfriend in real life.  :eek:

On topic, they should have corebloodbrothers and/or Dyntheos comms footage in next trailer!

Wif a Broiklyn accent an' everythin'?

I was looking into EVE radio recently. I think I would like to do a show. I was thinking of a theme like a radio tower that all the factions fight and take over one at a time. The Amarrians are there first, playing classical music in order to expose everyone to higher culture. The Minmatar take over the station by force, and start playing stuff like speed metal. The Caldari would come next, possibly playing something ambient and grim dark, like 90s Industrial music. Then the Gallente would come in, playing trance and electronic music. There's also the possibility of radio plays.

People say that the lore doesn't sell people on EVE, but it's the lore that got me hooked on EVE. I would watch those early trailers of a pilot's face in the projected in the background as their ship sped through space, while the narrator would say stuff like "All life is forged from Hell." I would watch this and it would give me shivers up my spine.

Then I started playing EVE and realizing that roleplayers were about as popular with the community as Hare Krishnas are at the airport, that some fleet commanders were thirteen years old, and that the Amarr Militia was full of racist neck-beards who compared the Minmatar enemy to real life Cubans and Mexicans. I was so offended by this, that I almost quit EVE.

The only thing that kept me in EVE was a recruiter who was intrigued by my verbal (and in character) disgust at the casual use of the word 'rape' as a synonym of 'defeat' over Militia chat. He told me that yes, Militia was horrible, and invited me into his role playing corp.

I think the worst thing about these trailers is the 'bait and switch'. They promise you one thing, but give you another. In actuality of course, it's entirely up to you to carve out your own little empire. You don't level up your Orge to 70 so (s)he can access certain spells, dungeons and loot, so there are no 'promises' made. Still, the trailers and even the lore implies that there are a lot of roleplay resources in EVE, but the players treat roleplayers as though they were lepers. It's immersion breaking for people to be constantly discussing the game mechanics, or whatever they are doing in real life.

What I mean by 'bait and switch' is this:

The back-story of EVE is awesome, but the avenues for role-playing as a Faction warfare loyalist, Blood Raider fanatic, Minmatar terrorist, and so on are quite limited. You see the portrait of the pilot in the trailer and you think "That's me!" Then once you join, you discover that the majority of people treat EVE like it was a theme park. They refer to their ships as 'pixels', highsec players as 'carebears' and so on.

Also, with expletive trailers such as this one; they do a good job of showing you the variety of game play. What they don't tell you is that the players featured in this video have been skilling up and grinding away for years to get to that level. They also don't mention how they are resting on their laurels, hoping that the flashy ship design and frittering and tinkering with small details presents shiner eye candy.

Meanwhile, the things that their own customers have asked them for repeatedly have been glossed over or completely ignored by the developers. Fix the bounty system. Fix the Incarna walking in stations. Make it possible to board ships. It seems that where CCP were unable to listen, newer games such as Star Citizen have picked up the ball they dropped and are now running for the goal posts with it.

In comparison to the newer space sims, videos such as this are a little like putting lipstick on a pig. In comparison to boarding ships, actually piloting your ship, and walking around in stations, shiner looking asteroids and cooler looking new ships are only going to keep the present subscribers, not encourage any new subscribers.

The developers need to go back to developing the lore. This is the bedrock upon which EVE rests. More things need to be done to encourage role-play and unfolding story line development in the world of EVE.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:40 »

Actually, Jikahr, I have a north side Chicago accent. Deep like Dr. Girlfriend's but more like Vince Vaughns voice.

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2014, 20:05 »

honestly I'm kinda surprised they didn't have any footage of CFC..... one of the segments mentioned they were fighting razor but...... the goons and CFC like it or not are a big entity and not having them in it is........ wierd. Correct me if I'm wrong if one of the parts were them, I didn't notice any...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5