Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a very powerful painkiller?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: "This is EVE"  (Read 7582 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: "This is EVE"
« Reply #60 on: 24 Nov 2014, 15:45 »

I had been thinking how a cat, the greatest hunter in the animal kingdom, releases their prey nine times and catches it again on the tenth. There doesn't seem to be that in EVE combat. Combat is either freeze or fry. The lack of dialogue between target and adversary, although strategically sound, makes combat deadly dull. I really do prefer it when someone says 'Death to Amarr!' or asks me for a ransom. Those instances are quite rare though.

In lowsec, at least, I'd say this is largely a product of the increasing connectivity and density of players, other affects of which include the death of classic piracy and the introduction of the FW blob.

It used to be you could afford to pin down your target and hold them for a while - EVE was fairly sparsely populated, and so having a couple of minutes of conversation was a reasonably safe bet.

As time went on, though, three things changed:
- Players became more interconnected; regional intel channels and larger alliances/coalitions became a thing, meaning your victims were probably screaming for help from their buddies while you held them down.
- Things like FW both shoved large groups of players together and encouraged them to fight to the death - FW was supposed to be WAR!!! not honorable gladiatorial combat. This made the dominant groups in many areas groups who wanted to kill, not talk.
- Finally, the sheer player density increased, making it more likely another, deadlier group would happen on you if you stayed in place.

All of these combined removed the personal nature of many fights, making chatting with your opponents much less appropriate.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #61 on: 26 Nov 2014, 07:33 »

And now I present: This is EVE: Russians are always angry edition.

According to someone, the audio for this actually includes a russian FC talking about using RMT money to pay for a car loan.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #62 on: 26 Nov 2014, 17:30 »

EVE's new trailer is out.

Does it misrepresent EVE horribly? Yes.
Does it completely ignore the hours of boredom that will pass between the fights seen here? Yes.
Is it awesome anyhow? Absolutely.

Forget HURF BLURF CAPSULEERS REBELLING - this is a good EVE trailer.
I was contemplating returning to EVE after about a year away. One watching of the trailer and I was sold.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]