Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that ectoplasm (pod goo) is illegal in all empire space except the Minmatar Republic?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: "This is EVE"  (Read 7581 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
"This is EVE"
« on: 21 Nov 2014, 19:59 »

EVE's new trailer is out.

Does it misrepresent EVE horribly? Yes.
Does it completely ignore the hours of boredom that will pass between the fights seen here? Yes.
Is it awesome anyhow? Absolutely.

Forget HURF BLURF CAPSULEERS REBELLING - this is a good EVE trailer.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: "This is EVE"
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2014, 20:12 »

It is what makes it worth it though. The hours of boredom. The losses. The failures. The time spent earning the isk.

... then it comes. The stars align and you get that unbelievable "FUCK YEAH!" moment that no other game in human history has managed to come close to.

Sure it misrepresents Eve. Sure it ignores a lot of things. Still, that video? The essence of Eve.

youcancallmesir

• Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.
  • Clonejack
  • I'm not afraid of you. Let's do this.
    • Talking in Local
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2014, 20:44 »

I wouldn't say it misrepresents Eve at all. In fact, I would argue that this is quite possibly the most accurate depiction of the game to come directly from CCP ever.

However, I will concede that the depiction here is vastly disproportionate, showing a bunch of things that involve a LOT of less-than-fun setup (e.g. bombing runs, fleet fights, pipebombing, industry, basically everything shown) whittled down to the few moments of exhilaration when it all comes to fruition.

But in the end, these moments are all that matter. In a week, a month, a year, the time you spent setting up your operations and gathering the needed ISK will be long forgotten. But what you got in return - the payoff, that looks often much like any one snippet of this video - will be what you talk about every time you talk about why you play Eve.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2014, 20:47 by youcancallmesir »
Dr. Quattras Peione
No, I'm not THAT kind of doctor

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2014, 20:54 »

Maybe I wasn't clear.

"Misrepresenting EVE" wasn't a criticism. It was pointing out that the trailer highlights the parts of the game that make it really worth playing; not an ill-defined promise of "power" or shiny graphics, but coming together to get that payoff with a bunch of buddies (for better or for worse).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2014, 22:06 »

I love this trailer.  Got tingles.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2014, 00:28 »

"Does it completely ignore the hours of boredom that will pass between the fights seen here?"

No. They showed a guy mining.

I think the trailers in general misrepresent EVE because they are somehow more cinematic than what we see in game.

Otherwise, they showed the Industrial/ PVE part of the game that usually gets ignored in trailers because it's not as interesting to see spreadsheets as it is to see pew pew.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2014, 00:35 »

It's not the kind of trailer that gets me going, but I've heard pretty much everyone liking it. So bravo to CCP.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2014, 00:51 »

Eh, not a fan.

I like the lore trailers, not the 'this is a fun vidya game' ones.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2014, 00:59 »

Eh, not a fan.

Me, too. Besides the fact that I think this sort of trailer, if it would attract anyone (which is doubtful, in my opinion) it would attract them for a level of interaction and 'fun' that is not regular or common for most EVE players. If someone watched that and signed up for a trial? They aren't going to find what they're looking for.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:22 »

It is meh to me. But good to see them put another one out.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2014, 02:50 »

I also love lore trailers, but you can't keep putting out similar material. Simply put, lore itself doesn't sell.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:06 »

Needs more drunk slurring. 

Also lemming jumping.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:20 »

I guess that I never really got hooked like you all did.

What I mostly remember from my time playing Eve is equally those very rare and extremely ephemeral moments that count for like 0,0001% of my play time. I can even count them on the fingers of my hand. They were great though. I agree that the very fact that the gameplay allows this is quite unique.

But also equally, or even more, the rest, the 99,9999% spent grinding and doing absolutely tedious shit to get to that uncertain graal above, and I loathed it. Was it not for RP, I would have left past one or two years of play, which I say, is already huge considering that on other MMOs I would have done the same past a few weeks.

And yeah, I remember perfectly well all that tedious grind all too much. And a lot of people I know, actually most people I got into trying the game, dropped out of that precise boredom.

So yeah, when I look at that video, which is a great video that effectively brings me back memories, I think that vid totally fails to address new players and actually talks very well to vets. That's endemic to a problem with CCP marketing and gameplay since day one actually. They cater to their paying subscribers, not to the potential new players. They are almost enslaved to their paying subscribers. Especially all the conservative ones and the vocal minorities.

Eh, not a fan.

Same, and while this one sure brings me back in the old days, and actually speaks to me through things similar to what happened to me, I think I started to dislike their new trailers past the Dominion one, which was exactly like that. Or the "I was here lulz" one.

"Does it completely ignore the hours of boredom that will pass between the fights seen here?"

No. They showed a guy mining.

I think the trailers in general misrepresent EVE because they are somehow more cinematic than what we see in game.

Otherwise, they showed the Industrial/ PVE part of the game that usually gets ignored in trailers because it's not as interesting to see spreadsheets as it is to see pew pew.

If you look at the first eve trailers up until Revelations and Trinity, they were actual gameplay trailers. Ok, they were sure more focused on a chilling space atmosphere and very ethereal ambiants, but they actually showed the game as it was.

I have nothing against cinematic trailers as they started doing at TEA. They are awesome in their own way. I just think that a video game company that forgets to show gameplay trailers is doing it wrong (hell, the one I work for do the exact same mistake and it shows on every forum : "wtf ? The game i'm playing is nothing like shown in that trailer ! I want my money back !"). Blizzard, as usual, on that point, got it perfectly right : they always have high budget CGI trailers, and actual gameplay trailers.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2014, 03:22 by Lyn Farel »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2014, 06:53 »

Well, I loved the trailer. Its easily the best one in my opinion since EVE Never Fades, it really shows the game and what makes it great.

So to the haters:
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:42 »

I have to disagree with you there, Lyn.

The trailer says "This game can be fun, listen to how much fun these dudes are having".

Which really is the essence of Vidyo Gaem.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5