Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Eleutherian Guard, a capsuleer organisation, is a semi-independent paramilitary unit that answers to the Federal Security Council?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Fancy Capsuleer Implants: Let's Discuss  (Read 8970 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Fancy Capsuleer Implants: Let's Discuss
« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:47 »

While I wasn't particularly bothered by TBL, I can understand the criticisms. The way Raiders were portrayed didn't bother me because I'm not particularly invested in them - but I can understand someone getting angry about it, because I was angry that he put the motherfucking Rabbit in the book at all - let alone portrayed him the way he did.

Overall, I didn't mind the book. But I try my hardest to forget the Gurista portions of it. I can't say it isn't part of the lore, because it is, but damned if I want to think about it.

It takes a special plotline to simultaneously shit on so many factions in one story :P

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #46 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:32 »

Maybe the reason why capsuleers even exist, is that a cyborgised human brain is cheaper than a proper computer core with a brain scan uploaded into it.
Which says a lot, given how cheap computer systems are.

Look at all that infrastructure about cloning, capsuleer training, and all that. When as Zainou shows, it can all be done on hardware. Train one person, upload and duplicate them to thousands of ships. How is that not cheaper ?

Lol pf.
\o/

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #47 on: 22 Nov 2014, 07:35 »

Laws against replicating humans.
The fact that if one person decides to turn against you, the other thousand copies will as well.
Finding people who want to be a ship and never have a human body ever again?
Just because something seems cheaper and easier doesn't mean it has no serious downsides.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:20 »

Laws against replicating humans.
The fact that if one person decides to turn against you, the other thousand copies will as well.
Finding people who want to be a ship and never have a human body ever again?
Just because something seems cheaper and easier doesn't mean it has no serious downsides.

Once a person is all software you just remove the bits about disloyalty and add more bits of code for following orders.  The duplication part is where the PF doesn't hold up well.  Caldari do tube children they'd have no issue copying infomorphs and dumping them into 1000 simultaneous bodies. 

The elder fleet showed just how weak concord was anyway, it wouldn't hold back breaking the law

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: 22 Nov 2014, 14:21 »

Speaking of lore that irks me - I'd take TBL over the Elder Fleet events any day.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #50 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:09 »

There is a thing about cybernetics: they are just cybernetics :D
While living cells are nanomachines of mind-boggling complexity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_Ne5mS2ls  :cube:

You can give any attribute you want with cybernetics, if you wish, but I would expect you will lose way more in side effects by doing this  ;)
For example, you can add mechanic arm, that will be incredibly strong, but then it will be way slower, less precise, it won't feel all the things and will have troubles with self-healing  :lol:

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #51 on: 26 Nov 2014, 19:08 »

Except the Amarr are the most cyberized of all the factions with the most advanced cybernetics woven into their lives

This. The Amarr care if you alter the basic, fundamental nature of the flesh (i.e., genetic alteration). They don't give a damn if you happen to remove some part of the flesh and replace it with a functional cybernetic alternative (although doing so for mere reasons of personal amusement or fad might be looked down upon in some circles).

Emphasis mine...

I think that's where the Gallente would step in with their whole body modder subculture.

Personally I've never given my characters more mods than I think are necessary for the character itself, and I always get them from places where either the exact mod exists or something close I can base it off of like Shadowrun or Deus Ex. Actually now that I'm thinking about it a lot of my ideas about character mods are specifically from Human Revolution cause I loved it so much.

Also when my characters have combat specific mods I generally never use them in RP and stick to them being just fluff or used in short stories or very specific RP.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #52 on: 08 Dec 2014, 10:10 »

I honestly haven't read the descriptions for the implants in a while so have no idea what they say.   I am playing it as the implants just 'make it easier' for Mit to do whatever it is she is trying to do in the pod.  Better algorithms and stuff maybe?  For me, none of these make her 'smarter', or 'faster' in any physical sense(she is pretty dim tbh and as fast as an ex-athlete who sort of works out... and likes deserts >.>).  I figure all the implants and connections just make the ships intuitive and second nature to pilot without much thinking to be done, just like walking.

My $0.02 anyway.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #53 on: 08 Dec 2014, 10:21 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:04 by Lt Col Nieyli »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #54 on: 16 Dec 2014, 19:49 »

Some of the, "Non-standard" clone augmentations for Veikitamo I've written in:

Multi-chromatic eye implants: Artificial retina is designed to allow processing of the visual spectrum beyond that of natural human trichomacy up to billions of hues more in addition to to the near infrared and near ultraviolet ranges. Visual processing is partly made within the artificial eye itself and the visual cortex in clone brains featuring this augmentation are redesigned to handle the increased image data. These implants are intended to increase synchronization with ship optics and astrometric analysis used for target acquisition when in the pod.

Dual-purpose synthetic neural-fibre musculature: Clone muscles are replaced with artificial neural-fibre system that permit the usual range of locomation of an average human being. When inside the pod, the system is co-opted to act as an ancillary wetware computing network facilitating data processing when integrated with a vessel.

Intercalcated neural lace: Lots of carbon nanotubes in that brain and extended neural network that form a Direct Neural Interface with the entire clone shell for control, diagnostics, and on-demand neuroplasticity as required.

Airushin Blue-48 System: Fullerene isomer matrix system that replaces the usual blood and circulatory system. Used by internal nanites for repair and as a power source. Turns highly neurotoxic over days requiring continuous internal reprocessing. Excess heat generated by the reprocessing is absorbed by a specialized Heat Sink-Tessaract Capacitor storage cell system of Amarrian design.

Self-sequestration system: Based on technology derived from Sansha's Nation and Sleepers the Self-sequestration is a process by which a form of wetgraving is induced and consciousness withdrawn into an artificial reality. Used either as a form of personal entertainment, or for the control of remote personal avatars linked by an FTL communication system based on Sleeper metallofullerene quantum entanglement.

Those are just a few I've written in over the past year. However, the intent was never to display them as, "Look how much of an uber cyborg Veikitamo is." They are, to me an essential part of how the character has developed. Much like how today's elite sportspeople will often push themselves to their limits, these augmentations represent a similar attitude towards reaching what is felt to be peak performance as a capsuleer by doing whatever it takes.

There's also the fact that Veikitamo, as a character is particularly comfortable in the pursuit of her post-humanity.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec 2014, 20:45 »

Self-equestrian system:

You had me there, then I realized I read it wrong.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #56 on: 17 Dec 2014, 10:30 »

Self-equestrian system:

You had me there, then I realized I read it wrong.
ROFLMAO! I can imagine where this implant goes... >.>
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #57 on: 18 Dec 2014, 11:18 »

.....Caldari do tube children they'd have no issue copying infomorphs and dumping them into 1000 simultaneous bodies. 

Gotta say something about this before I forget. The Mass production of "Unqiue" but genetically similar individual with the use of a "Tube Child Program" is a much, much smaller hurdle to jump over, than the mass production of the exact same consciousness across thousands of different bodies.

The possible usage as personal armies aside, legal issues like property rights, marriages, financial responsibility go right out the window. It would literally take a complete rewrite of any function legal system to be able to cohabitate  the same person existing in multiple frames, especially if frames came into conflict with each other.

TLDR: Tube Children and each recognized individuals. An Informorph spread across 1000 frames is not. Very different.

Anskek

« Reply #58 on: 29 Dec 2014, 21:10 »

Bypass complications with implants. Use mutations and biology instead.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #59 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:12 »

The only thing implants really seem to do is make learning skillbooks easier. An intelligence implant doesn't give additional intelligence, it just makes uploading skillbooks into your brain go faster. That's quite an easy way to conceptualize it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5