Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That some Minmatar pilots have a tradition of gifting Rodj Blake's corpse to newly-weds?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fancy Capsuleer Implants: Let's Discuss  (Read 8986 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Fancy Capsuleer Implants: Let's Discuss
« on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:49 »

So this is a PF area I'm weak in, and I also think never quite meshes with our mutual RP, or at least is impossible to.

Capsuleers spend vast amounts of money on incredibly powerful cybernetic brain implants, which it seems make us smarter, faster, more sociable, etc etc.  Uber-men and Uber-women

Some of the descriptions of the implant / skills always sounded a bit OP to my liking, with preternatural speech , reflexes, and assorted abilities.

Is this still the case? Are the implants and related abilities still described this way in PF?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Fancy Capsuleer Implants: Let's Discuss
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:59 »

Bringing to mind the tall arches in a holy cathedral, this regal pair of black boots has a voluminous shape that grants plenty of space to the capsuleer's powerful legs, along with patented thermal protection for any manner of environment.

Everything is over the top. Even footwear.

That said, many of the implant and skill descriptions don't have the same flowery language as they used to.

Some of the special implants, lke the Genolution set, have fancy descriptions, but most don't.

\o/

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2014, 18:25 »

Bringing to mind the tall arches in a holy cathedral, this regal pair of black boots has a voluminous shape that grants plenty of space to the capsuleer's powerful legs, along with patented thermal protection for any manner of environment.

That said, many of the implant and skill descriptions don't have the same flowery language as they used to.

Some of the special implants, lke the Genolution set, have fancy descriptions, but most don't.

Capsuleers have powerful legs? It must be due to all the time they spend suspended in an egg sack full of goo in micro-gravity.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2014, 21:11 »

Capsuleers have powerful legs? It must be due to all the time they spend suspended in an egg sack full of goo in micro-gravity.

Maybe the part about suspended animation is a lie and capsuleers are really twisting, turning and running around in their pod whenever they fly?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2014, 22:42 »

Here goes one of my character's IC question, that haunts her for several years already: "What does pilots hands do, while they are piloting in capsule"  :lol:

As for implants, I usually consider hardwiring as affecting only capsule interface and no effect on daily life, while attribute enhancing implants basically have no effect as well (only for skill learning), with one exceptions: for decision making based on character attributes, I use combined base attribute, modified with implant, as a modifier for a dice roll, scaled on minimal possible attribute +0 implant (17) to maximum possible with +5 implant (32).

For example, if you roll dice d20, you will have possible scale of 17+1 = 18 to 32+20 = 52. If you set pass check for attribute-dependent event as 50%, then you can consider you have passed the check if sum of dice result with your attribute and implant is greater than 35.

If you want the attribute to affect event more than random, you choose smaller dice, if you want it to be more random - you choose bigger dice  ;)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2014, 04:29 »

This is an extremely advanced technological society and eggers are wealthy beyond the wildest dreams of anyone else. Augmentation is a given and you frankly can't go to far here. The standard stat implants aren't very likely to have huge impacts on physical capacity, but it'd be extremely unlikely that the technology to become JC Denton isn't widely available to eggers.

We are literally superhumans when it comes to our brains, by default. Superhuman physicality is hardly beyond our reach, but it'd be up to the individual how much they give a shit, given that our real power comes from our pod interface.

Also, microgravity/floating in pod would hardly be a problem for any sufficiently decent stimulation system and worst case scenario we can just jump into another supercharged clone.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2014, 06:13 »

I'd say all the benefits of the stat implants is ultimately balanced out by the synaptic degradation that occurs when cloning, to explain why we still have really really dumb people as capsuleers despite the requirement of 98% intelligence and psych-expanding implants.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2014, 06:30 »

Trying to handwave players like me into characters like Katrina just doesnt work Sami.

I'm not super intelligent, and I wouldn't even get invited to egger school due to my psych profile. I also can't be bothered to try and roleplay a perfect leader type, because tbh, it would be boring for me.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2014, 07:14 »

I'd say all the benefits of the stat implants is ultimately balanced out by the synaptic degradation that occurs when cloning, to explain why we still have really really dumb people as capsuleers despite the requirement of 98% intelligence and psych-expanding implants.

Or as a truck driver I once overheard in my college days in my college town said of the students "All those brains and not an ounce of common sense".  Being intelligent doesn't always equate to being "space smart!"

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2014, 07:32 »

Trying to handwave players like me into characters like Katrina just doesnt work Sami.

I'm not super intelligent, and I wouldn't even get invited to egger school due to my psych profile. I also can't be bothered to try and roleplay a perfect leader type, because tbh, it would be boring for me.

Personally, I'm not about to roleplay all of Elmund's abilities unless the situation demands it. Less is more.

(And yes, I know this sounds hypocritical, but I'm learning, alright?)
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:33 »

I tend to avoid most implant-related RP if it is 'fancy,' and try to not pay attention when others do it. Situations and scenes quickly become absurd if everyone is trying to be some sexy version of Terminator.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:43 »

I tend to avoid most implant-related RP if it is 'fancy,' and try to not pay attention when others do it. Situations and scenes quickly become absurd if everyone is trying to be some sexy version of Terminator.

When is ah-nuld terminator not sexy? :P

Off topic: your avatar picture has my IRL haircut, good choice.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:44 »

If only the game had more interesting haircuts like dis.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:50 »

Pics, now.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:59 »

Pics, now.

way off topic.  maybe later in that dedicated thread... prob not :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5