Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EVE Gangbangers  (Read 5128 times)

Jace

• Veteran
EVE Gangbangers
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:22 »

Why don't they exist? How is it that nobody has really made a 'gang' RP corp? Angels are pervy twats in business suits, Guristas are militaristic pirate insanity, Raiders vant to suck ur blood, Serpentis are the drug dealers by the playground, Thukkers are the tribal-respectable ones. No gangbangers. This should be remedied.

Anyanka Funk

Re: EVE Gangbangers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:39 »

Jace, can you clarify what you mean by gangbanger? If you mean to say a person commonly associated with uneducated inmates. Maybe you can look into True Power and Sansha loyalists. Otherwise, I think gangbangers as we know them today probably do not have the aptitude to pass capsuleer training.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:41 »

:?:

I don't really understand what you're asking ?
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:43 »

Define gangbanger and we'll talk.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:49 »

Okay, I'll elaborate a bit more.

The Angel Cartel is to some extent a space mafia. Raiders are an occult group. Guristas are a sort of an ex-military third-army of criminals. Serpentis are the high-end luxury drug dealer trope. Thukkers are Thukkers.

But there isn't really a 'gang' faction nor can I recall any RPers ever trying to create one. By gang I mean containing the features commonly associated with street gangs in real life: somewhat amorphous structure and organization, consisting of linked cells, a prescient subcultural moral code, the EVE equivalent of fairly low-tech (which obviously is relative, this is EVE after all), often stemming from and thriving off of poverty-induced environments, etc. Guristas are the closest to me to the gang 'feel,' but their extreme hi-tech and militarism move them away from it. So if you take Maras in real life and scale down the size of operation and organization (they are getting to be more of a cartel than gang, these days).

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:56 »

I think the Angels and Serpentis are closest to what you are looking for.

While the core command of the Cartel has a well-earned reputation as 'pervs twats in business suits', the low-level enforcers and distributors are probably far closer to what you are imagining: A generally limited command structure with very little oversight so long as dues are paid up the command chain, a culture heavily influenced by and formed in the poverty and ghettos in the Federation and State, etc...

Remember that what we see as capsuleers are the guys flying spaceships, which even at the lowest is already a step up from the low-level enforcers and distributors operating on planets and stations.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:58 »

I think the Angels and Serpentis are closest to what you are looking for.

While the core command of the Cartel has a well-earned reputation as 'pervs twats in business suits', the low-level enforcers and distributors are probably far closer to what you are imagining: A generally limited command structure with very little oversight so long as dues are paid up the command chain, a culture heavily influenced by and formed in the poverty and ghettos in the Federation and State, etc...

Remember that what we see as capsuleers are the guys flying spaceships, which even at the lowest is already a step up from the low-level enforcers and distributors operating on planets and stations.

I can see that. For some reason I have always interpreted the Cartel as trying to be the EVE Italian Mafia. Fingers in every pie, abnormally organized, loved by certain locals due to their protection and assistance, attempting to keep a pretty business-like appearance most of the time.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:18 »

like, you mean, why aren't there angel cartel rp'ers who fly ghetto fit Rifters, instead of angel cartel rp'ers who fly bling Cynabals ?
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:24 »

like, you mean, why aren't there angel cartel rp'ers who fly ghetto fit Rifters, instead of angel cartel rp'ers who fly bling Cynabals ?

No, I am talking more about the 'feel' and lore around the criminal factions.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:36 »

Once you're a capsuleer, the "street" factor sort of goes away. When you can't sneeze without spraying enough money to buy every street you ever walked on, the gang factor sort of dies off.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:46 »

Okay, I'll elaborate a bit more.

The Angel Cartel is to some extent a space mafia. Raiders are an occult group. Guristas are a sort of an ex-military third-army of criminals. Serpentis are the high-end luxury drug dealer trope. Thukkers are Thukkers.

But there isn't really a 'gang' faction nor can I recall any RPers ever trying to create one. By gang I mean containing the features commonly associated with street gangs in real life: somewhat amorphous structure and organization, consisting of linked cells, a prescient subcultural moral code, the EVE equivalent of fairly low-tech (which obviously is relative, this is EVE after all), often stemming from and thriving off of poverty-induced environments, etc. Guristas are the closest to me to the gang 'feel,' but their extreme hi-tech and militarism move them away from it. So if you take Maras in real life and scale down the size of operation and organization (they are getting to be more of a cartel than gang, these days).

Respectfully Jace, even if they aren't specifically "rp'ers" in the backstage sense, i think a lot of low sec pirate gangs fit the "gang" / "thug" bill to a tee (except the 'poverty' part)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:28 »

I think quite a lot of capsuleer groups operate with a gang-like structure. Especially pirate corps. Instead of streets though you have systems or regions.

As far as major in-universe gangs go, you should look at the Maru. They're a major Republic gang, large enough to have interstellar impact but not quite at the level of the actual pirate empires. At least for me, their description makes them sound similar to the various racially-motivated gangs that exist RL (Aryan Brotherhood, Latin Kings, MS-13, etc).

The Maru Rebels were once part of a gang of pirates who turned into a sinister terrorist network claiming to fight for Minmatar freedom. In fact, they're little more a ruthless gang of criminals dealing in the black market, smuggling, and extortion and blackmail, even sometimes working as hired assassins. Their official agenda is to murder as many citizens of the Amarr nations as possible ― i.e., Amarr Empire, Ammatar, and Khanid Kingdom ― hoping to force them to withdraw eventually from historically Minmatar systems currently under Amarr control. The Minmatar Republic leadership has denounced them as being cutthroats and criminals even though they support Republic goals, and has put up a sizable bounty on their leader's head. But even so, the Rebels do maintain some support within the Minmatar Republic, which has allowed them certain freedoms other criminal networks do not have.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 12:36 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:37 »

Fair enough, folks. Perhaps the feel I am wondering about just doesn't work in the setting.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:44 »

Fair enough, folks. Perhaps the feel I am wondering about just doesn't work in the setting.

Not necessarily for capsuleers themselves, but their low-level baseliner employees, yes.

Criminal type capsuleers are at the top of the criminal enterprise pyramids.  They are sitting on top of a pyramid of less and less organized crime that feeds into their coffers.  So 'kingpin' capsuleer at the top, criminal bosses below, down and down to the street gangs you mention.

S. for example had her cultists and non-afiliated baseliners running all sorts of criminal enterprises on low sec planets, from narcotics manufacturing, brothels, and run of the mill criminal gangs.  The street gang ripping off banks and robbing people might not even know who they are really working for, but their profits get fed into their bosses, who feed it to their bosses, who eventually report to the capsuleer.

Also:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:46 »

It works just fine in the setting. However you sort of have to go 'lower' than the capsuleer caste to get it. Poverty is not an issue for capsuleers.

Samira's backstory includes issues with a local street gang, prior to her becoming a capsuleer. For capsuleers, where wealth is prominent, you're more likely to be dealing with mafias and indeed most of nullsec is dominated by organizations with very mafia-like organizations.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 12:52 by Samira Kernher »
Pages: [1] 2 3