Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: EVE Gangbangers  (Read 5127 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: EVE Gangbangers
« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2014, 19:16 »

I agree with Silver, up to a point. Once a character has come to the point of joining the elite of the elite, Capsuleers, I think they've gone beyond the ganger archetype, even if they might retain some of the mentality.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2014, 19:27 »

Well, it might be more like they got to that point, but for a certain personality type, once they had their podder license that would mean the disciplined part of their life is over, and they might revert to a more 'gang-like' attitude. Particularly if they came up through a criminal syndicate. 'I worked for this, and now it's my payday'.

Edit: It also might be cultural. PArticularly in a group like the Cartel, (and in this it is probably something like RL very powerful criminal organizations) you have to maintain a certain attitude/not show weakness/etc, even if the actual running of the thing means you have to also be smart and a certain sort of 'porofessional'.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 19:29 by Silver Night »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2014, 19:52 »

I could see organizations like the Cartel or even Serps finding those with potential among their subsidiary gangs on planets, moons, and stations and giving them further training. After all, it isn't as if those who join 'gang' type organizations are entirely uniform. I'm sure that in the less nice parts of the cluster, it is just one of the few ways to support yourself among certain parts of society - or at least it promises to give you more resources than other avenues.

I am very sure this is a given. They screen their thugs and hoodlums for those with vision, ambition and ability, and then pick them up and make them an offer. If accepted and successful, they will shed their gangbanger skin and become a Space Don or something.

I mean, where else are they going to recruit from?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2014, 19:53 »

Well, there are also disgraced/disappointed members of legitimate organizations. Even though that seems to be more the Gurista's thing I'm sure the other criminal syndicates engage in it also.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2014, 20:12 »

Well, as others have mentioned, once you get into the criminal syndicate level of things, you tend to have to shed the more "primitive" kind of gang mentality in favor of more disciplined cooperation/organization. Cartels and syndicates in real life often tend to use gangs and gangmembers, but are primarily composed of people with training or skills suitable for the life. It's an extremely demanding life to live, after all.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2014, 21:26 »

Well, as others have mentioned, once you get into the criminal syndicate level of things, you tend to have to shed the more "primitive" kind of gang mentality in favor of more disciplined cooperation/organization. Cartels and syndicates in real life often tend to use gangs and gangmembers, but are primarily composed of people with training or skills suitable for the life. It's an extremely demanding life to live, after all.

Only the Godfather can make an offer you can't refuse.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2014, 21:55 »

This is actually part of what I had in mind, to an extent - a disorganized, inefficient group that really aren't all that organized or disciplined. I like everyone's input though, nice to see what the different impressions are of the terms and concepts.

Though this is all rather moot as far as my original pondering goes, since most of my alts are going to be unsubbed soon.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:44 »

Seems to me that quite a few of the low sec denizens operate more than a little like what you are talking about. They aren't connected to any lore group directly, but they definitely fill the nitch you are describing and act similarly.

It seems to me that it doesn't make much sense for people wanting to play that sort of a character to look to NPC organizations. As has been pointed out here, the NPC organizations have to be too organized and big to really make it into space in a big way. It makes good RP sense that the gangs of EVE are developing inside the capsuleer economy and are independent from non-capsuleer organizations.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:19 »

Yeah, it does make sense. I think a lot of it also has to do with internet culture, in a way. When people in-games think of criminal organizations they want to emulate, they look to pirates, mafia, black ops, and other groups - not gangs.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:11 »

There are the Es and Whizz drug dealers, they might come pretty close to what you are thinking. 

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:58 »

There are the Es and Whizz drug dealers, they might come pretty close to what you are thinking.

My brothers in profit :3

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:04 »

Thanks for the replies, folks. Fun discussion. Kind of moot now that I'm letting the character I had in mind lapse into unsub now that I am focusing on Jace again, but enough to think about for the future someday.
Pages: 1 2 [3]