Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Undocking character or RP alt?  (Read 7919 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Undocking character or RP alt?
« on: 08 Oct 2014, 13:51 »

If an RP alt, I don't care whose it is - I just want to know if it's something that does or doesn't make itself vulnerable in space:

Johanesse

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Undocking character or RP alt?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2014, 14:02 »

Doubtful. That inactive for that long usually means it was a long-term alt project designed to not be discovered as someone's alt. So probably just skilling up, created character concept, and now has a use for it. There are three or four others that have recently posted for the first time with similar circumstances. Probably all alts of the same person.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2014, 14:40 »

Just watchlist and locator agent it a couple times in a week.  If it never shows up in game or moves, ta-da.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2014, 15:02 »

why does it matter ?
\o/

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2014, 15:06 »

why does it matter ?
If it pisses Havo off, and it undocks... pewpew.

If it pisses Havo off, and it doesn't undock... no content.  No interest.  Ignored.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2014, 05:34 »

Is it sad that I automatically checked to see if it was one of my alts?

Yeah, pretty sad.  Should have at least read that it was active first.  :P  (None of mine are right now.)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:27 »

oh right, yes. People that don't undock, in your timezone, in your area, when it's convenient, are irrelevant. Yes. we've had that topic done before. Either here or on some other forum. Okay. I get why it matters now.
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:38 »

oh right, yes. People that don't undock, in your timezone, in your area, when it's convenient, are irrelevant. Yes. we've had that topic done before. Either here or on some other forum. Okay. I get why it matters now.

There are plenty of characters that never leave their NPC corp and never undock. They are just skill queuing up and being used as alter egos on forums.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:42 »

If it's a thing in space at all, it's relevant to my interests, because if it pisses Havo off it can be shot at by Havo.
If it is not a thing in space at all, it's irrelevant to my interests.  I cannot interact with it outside of chat channels or IGS, therefor I will choose not to interact with it at all rather than have text-based slap fights with no final resolution.  They can have fun talking shit on IGS, I can ignore them and have fun interacting with people who talk shit and shoot things or expose themselves to being shot.

Twitter

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2014, 14:49 »

Welp, he just logged in so likely US TZ. Can't say if he's undocking as I have no locators nearby.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #10 on: 09 Oct 2014, 15:35 »

He withdrew his bid, so Havo's not upset anymore.   :yar:

Twitter

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2014, 17:14 »

Wouldn't matter to me. Undocking in itself doesn't make you vulnerable in space.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2014, 18:01 »

Wouldn't matter to me. Undocking in itself doesn't make you vulnerable in space.

No, but not undocking guarantees no vulnerability unless you have assets someone can destroy.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2014, 03:35 »

If it's a thing in space at all, it's relevant to my interests, because if it pisses Havo off it can be shot at by Havo.
If it is not a thing in space at all, it's irrelevant to my interests.  I cannot interact with it outside of chat channels or IGS, therefor I will choose not to interact with it at all rather than have text-based slap fights with no final resolution.  They can have fun talking shit on IGS, I can ignore them and have fun interacting with people who talk shit and shoot things or expose themselves to being shot.

Well I understand the feeling but is there really a final resolution at most things in Eve anyway ? In space fight has never seemed much more meaningful to me unless you happen to be in a situation where you can completely cripple your enemy, which doesn't happen that much... Most of the time it will just blowing up a frigate, a cruiser or whatever the enemy has, again and again up until the player behind starts to lose interest in the game, or either gain even more interest in a game he will like. I think I already spoke about the contradiction between what happens OOCly and what happens ICly most of the time : if your adversary loses ICly badly, he will stop being interested in the game OOCly, or just being outright disgusted because there is a limit to the fun he can have being blown up again and again (which can even lead to OOC dramas because ICly the enemy will have no mercy). If he loses, or wins, but gets his own kills, victories, and overall has fun doing so like you do, it's great OOCly for both parties, but ICly it leads to absolutely nowhere near a victory. Which is still ten times better than the first option : I remember to have war deced a little corp in my time for RP reasons, with an alliance 5 times their size, and we managed pretty poorly due to logistic, new pilots, etc and actually managed to completely resurrect that target will to fight and have fun in pvp OOCly. But ICly it was a disaster for both with no result at all.

Yeah what Merdaneth said anyway.

The problem in Eve that I have come to stop caring at some point is that the game provides consequences and offers you the tools to actually beat someone in a meaningful way by making him or his corporation or alliance lose assets and valuables. It also provides a way for RP conflicts to have meaningful outcomes, even if that's just tied to whether or not RPers actually care in making up stuff around ingame assets to create the story around it (slaves, POSes, whatever).

Well, all in all it's good in theory. The main issue is that most assets and ingame valuables are tied to time spent to farm them up. So we come to a relation between meaningful conflict directly linked to farming.

And that's not fun at all. It means that you try to destroy someone else's valuables in order to achieve some scale of victory, and that you put in the equation valuables that come from activities that are BORING. Much like you have to farm the hell of your valuables to afford something that can well turn into 5 minutes of pvp.

So eventually I came to be a lot more sympathetic to people that never really risk too much in space when they actually do not have that much to put into the balance. I have seen countless players, especially novices, but also old players that never really had the backbone to afford a lot, and a single loss could cripple them pretty badly. Even with that in mind they get put in the same basket as the rest and curbstomped pretty nastily when they happen to be the target of an IC all out war, and then just leave for other pastures, or get called all names because they don't really play the game.

Everytime I say something in these lines I get exactly that as an answer :P

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 03:42 by Lyn Farel »

The Scythian

• Our Woeful Hero
  • Clonejack
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:09 »

So according to OP, the metagame is not a game. Hm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4