Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39190 times)

PracticalTechnicality

(Mod Edit: a list of people playing who have shared their commander names is located further into the thread here. ~Morwen)

So, space people, Elite: Dangerous just hit Beta 1 (1.02 to be precise).  I have been playing since Premium Beta and though the world felt a little flat (not much to do, not dimensionally) it captured that spark of 'amazing' that colours my view of Frontier Elite and First Encounters to this day.  Returning to the present, Beta 1(.02) blows me away.  More ships, more systems (55 instead of 8), improved mapping tools and more vibrant economy and diversity of stations.  When I go to a system I don't feel like I am entering instanced clone system 1 of 100, but a unique system with celestial arrangements that look and feel 'realistic' (in so far as my astrophysics deprived mind can conceive). 

I will post a few screens (shamelessly taken from this thread as they have some talent flying and taking snaps https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28345 ) and would love to know if any of you are playing or plan to play this game.  (Right click show image in new tab for less annoying format, or educate a poor forum poster in your arts of preview images [I am lazy])

If anyone wants to add me I am Sakhr Amir, Merchant and purveyor of high velocity gold deliveries.  The Lakon 6 is my baby atm, but moving on and up to the Anaconda eventually.  Feel free to barrage any questions, I'd prefer to answer your queries than wax lyrical (which would go on p much forever). 

Please keep discussion relevant to Elite Dangerous: It isn't EVE, it isn't SC, both of those games are fine (I am sure), and Braben (head of Frontier Dev) backed SC so he clearly has faith there is room in the market for both. 

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

And finally... DO SHE GOT A BOOTIS?
[spoiler]... Yes she dooooo.
[/spoiler]

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9io7bFR64
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2015, 00:47 by Morwen Lagann »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Looking forward to friendly competition between this and star citizen.  Elite already has a lot to show and from what I hear the dogfighting mechanics already feel very polished!  I think this one definitely beats star citizen in aesthetics being more space opera adventure sort of feel vs tar citizen everything utilitarian.  Can't wait to see more

PracticalTechnicality

Yes star citizen and Elite seems to perform a strange but beneficial dance around one another in some respects.  In appearance, you are very much correct that Elite evokes space opera and 'high sci fi of the fifties-to-seventies' concepts (such as O'Neill cylinders and Coriolis starports).  Looks wise Star Citizen is more utilitarian (though still falling into the category of high sci fi in my opinion - which is no bad thing). 

Game play, I have little experience of Star Citizen (trailers and player videos).  What does occur to me is that this is where we see somewhat of a reversal.  The game play of SC feels a lot more space opera while Elite goes for a plodding, but evocative 'faux realism' approach, brushing against hard sci fi territory ever so slightly, but keeping it's distance (wise in current games as hardware/playability trump hardcore science sim in multi player games).  Both games fulfil their roles nicely (from what I have seen), and will attract dual-citizens as well as a hardcore fan base under each banner. 

RP opportunities in both games appear limitless, with three fleshed out human factions in Elite, a wealth of history and roles that feel like they contribute to the galactic economy/political landscape.  Again, my SC experience is found wanting, but looking at what seems to be promised, avatar game play will add a dimension of RP to those who wan it, along with the careers and 'dynasty (bloodlines/PK death lore thingie from the other thread)' mechanics that help RP to write itself.   

I may be overly optimistic, but I think that the age of the space sim is back, and not before time.  I will not be dabbling in Star Citizen due to budget limitations (the price tag on Elite is to blame here :p) but I will be watching the progression very closely. 

Lyn Farel

So this elite title is going to be playable in multi, or even in the MMO format ?

PracticalTechnicality

It boasts multiplayer all (open), private group and solo online modes.  They do not have an MMO-like option; the connections are largely peer to peer. 

The galaxy responds to all actions undertaken in Multiplayer ALL, and it is possible to switch between modes (though I am staying in all inclusive mode to tough it out).  This means that the galaxy is synchronised, economically, politically and geographically, so that every individual experiences their collective efforts.

Essentially - small, discrete (as in you won't notice it happening) instances, in a fully shared universe.  Also, 400 billion star systems, of which humanity has colonised less than a thousand :S. 

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

I'll have to look you up once I figure out how... :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

PracticalTechnicality

In the main menu there is an add friends option.  if you add Sakhr Amir, I will get a notification and can accept :).  Looking forwards to beta 2 and seeing more people there!

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Any rustbuckets?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

PracticalTechnicality

The Lakon range of industrial vessels have a beaten up feel to them, but most of the combat craft are high performance military/ex-military craft (single seater fighters being most common). 

The 'Snake' named ships have a pretty lived in feel (paint chipped interiors and wear), while the Eagle and Zorgon Petersson Hauler are clean and off-the-production-line. 

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Wow.

Ok, I'll have to look into this.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

Looks my name got approved: Gidion Powell
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

Looks like I know what I'm getting myself with this paycheck!

How are the mouse + keyboard controls? I've had trouble "flying" with games like Battlefield, Arma 2, or Ace Combat. I did fine with Freelancer.

PracticalTechnicality

They are functional, but a cheap joystick will usually prove to be the superior choice for 'twitch' flying.  For general trucking it should suffice.  I run an ancient (2004) Saitek Cyborg that retails at about £14 on eBay these days.  Solid reversible stick and there really is no need for a sophisticated and expensive HOTAS set up unless you're a total immersion junkie. 

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette

I tried using key+mouse and failed pretty badly and picked up a joystick.  I found it MUCH easier to fly that way.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

The Lakon range of industrial vessels have a beaten up feel to them, but most of the combat craft are high performance military/ex-military craft (single seater fighters being most common). 

The 'Snake' named ships have a pretty lived in feel (paint chipped interiors and wear), while the Eagle and Zorgon Petersson Hauler are clean and off-the-production-line.

Are 'Snake' line of ships combat ships or freighters?
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17