Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Naqam (A Sansha aligned capsuleer corporation) manufactured the Naqam Heavy Bioindustries Ultra Happy Chip™? It was player created - see advertisements on the Eve Wiki!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Martial arts, firearms, planets and capsuleers  (Read 11480 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
Martial arts, firearms, planets and capsuleers
« on: 01 Dec 2013, 06:22 »

Several threads on the IGS at the moment, relating to capsuleers use of personal weapons, martial arts skills and such, when out of the capsule. As ever, some are enthusiastically for, some are enthusiastically against.

A thought occurred, relating to the use of humanoid remote drones and why these aren't in use by capsuleers.

I believe the technology exists - there are in existence comprehensive virtual reality devices, capable of simulating to the user a convincing set of sensations - the chronicle "Particle Tracks" features this in the meeting between Yani and Muryia.

These virtual reality devices are capable of presenting a substantial amount of sensory data to the user, who is presumably wearing a suit with goggles, or relevant implants, to receive this data.

And that suit&goggles or implant set, could easily, in my opinion, be used to present to the user, sensory data, not from a virtual reality simulation, but from a remote-operated drone humanoid body.

And such a remote body, would be able to interact with people "personally", with next to none of the security concerns.

So, why does this not happen ?

I think a possibility is the ability of law enforcement to control the situation - a remote drone person is entirely expendable, and as such, could easily be a weapon, carrying a bomb, or bio-weapon, or other device. Capsuleers have no hesitation in attacking things in space, giving them the same freedom in station would be chaotic.

What are your thoughts ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

V. Gesakaarin

Re: Martial arts, firearms, planets and capsuleers
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2013, 07:27 »

A capsuleer can control the massive amounts of information pouring into their brain when linked to a ship. Using a remote drone/cyborg shell remotely via an FTL router seems rather mundane by comparison.

Just need to make sure it's anatomically correct I suppose.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2013, 08:50 »

would explain why everyone is the same height, in Incarna.

maybe it is law enforcement, stop impersonation of people or something.

but maybe people don't want to be robots, or something.

also DUST. if remote humanoid drones were possible/economic, then why is there a need for DUST ?
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013, 08:54 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2013, 09:13 »

would explain why everyone is the same height, in Incarna.

maybe it is law enforcement, stop impersonation of people or something.

but maybe people don't want to be robots, or something.

also DUST. if remote humanoid drones were possible/economic, then why is there a need for DUST ?

Is this why our Incarna avatars are so stiff?

Also, I like to ask, can capsuleer implants be used to interface with something that isn't a ship? as in connecting with something that isn't a ship with the intention of moving it with your brain?

I had it that Elmund Egivand had modified his engineering suit to include this backpack spindly mechanical arms connected to power tools, which he controls with his nervous system, reasoning that being able to unleash ship-grade ordnance with great precision at somebody, it would be trivial to control multiple mechanical limbs simultaneously.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013, 09:16 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2013, 09:35 »

Also, I like to ask, can capsuleer implants be used to interface with something that isn't a ship? as in connecting with something that isn't a ship with the intention of moving it with your brain?
I just read the chronicle for the fight of Caldari Prime, and there were two capsuleers in it on the ground who plugged into the guns shooting up at the titan from the planet. They didn't need anything like a pod, just a connector cable.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013, 09:40 by Kohiko Sun »
Will work for pretty sig.

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec 2013, 09:35 »

Feels like there's a Gutter Press  splash in the offing :D

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2013, 14:11 »

I think most baseliner security apparatus would have a pretty hard 'no' against any sort of remote controlled avatars.   Avatars running amok and blowing up things/people/causing a ruckus would be entirely too easy.

You could probably get away with something of this sort out in the desert on some lowsec or null planet, but it seems very 'special snowflake' to me, although an interesting concept.

I feel like a capsuleer would much easier just have a team of their hired baseliners out doing things all hooked up to sensors and telepresense for the capsuleer to monitor or project a holo of themselves to interact with people remotely if needed.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 01 Dec 2013, 15:09 »

Is that Silas on the picture ?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 01 Dec 2013, 21:35 »

:P

Actually that wasn't my intent linking the picture but this is basically how shit gets done on her capsuleer ships.

Sabik crew #2053 distracted eating cheetos and not monitoring the megapulse laser power coupling gets a rude awakening from the nearby holo-projector :P

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2013, 22:50 »

:P

Actually that wasn't my intent linking the picture but this is basically how shit gets done on her capsuleer ships.

Sabik crew #2053 distracted eating cheetos and not monitoring the megapulse laser power coupling gets a rude awakening from the nearby holo-projector :P

The advantage of letting weak AI drones handle menial monitoring and maintenance work.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 02 Dec 2013, 00:06 »

Having the skills or experience is entirely reasonable, particularly given the number of capsuleers with military backgrounds.

Subsequent use of those skills? Eh, depends on the situation and how frequent. It's arguable that if you're frequently finding yourself in the situation where those skills are needed, you (or the people who should be doing your security) are doing something seriously wrong. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with casual or even regimented use of those skills for the purposes of exercise or a hobby.

It's one thing to go to the shooting range a few times a week to keep your skills sharp. It's another to be going Rambo on every motherfucker you run into while baselining.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #11 on: 02 Dec 2013, 01:06 »

Having the skills or experience is entirely reasonable, particularly given the number of capsuleers with military backgrounds.

Subsequent use of those skills? Eh, depends on the situation and how frequent. It's arguable that if you're frequently finding yourself in the situation where those skills are needed, you (or the people who should be doing your security) are doing something seriously wrong. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with casual or even regimented use of those skills for the purposes of exercise or a hobby.

It's one thing to go to the shooting range a few times a week to keep your skills sharp. It's another to be going Rambo on every motherfucker you run into while baselining.

Elmund goes baselining for spare parts, salvage and coffee. Do those count?

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 02 Dec 2013, 07:30 »

I think that capsuleers being cowards that won't leave their ships or security is a sort of cultural phenomenon, but certain capsuleers can buck the trend.  Plenty were soldiers before and some didn't make a name for themselves flying ships.  Both of my characters are better known for things done outside of the capsule.  While Constantin directly avoids conflict and thus doesn't do much hand-to-hand and Roman doesn't have any skills like that, I can see someone who enjoys bar fights, ring fighting, or even still does a lot of personal combat just because they get bored of the capsule.

I think they'd be rather unusual, but not entirely rare.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 02 Dec 2013, 07:30 »

Elmund goes baselining for spare parts, salvage and coffee. Do those count?
Unless he's one of those people who are retarded stupid fucked in the head special enough to do their Black Friday shopping in the stores instead of online, I fail to see how that's even relevant.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 02 Dec 2013, 08:08 »

It feels almost special snowflaky to play someone who is not trained in martial arts...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8