Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Martial arts, firearms, planets and capsuleers  (Read 11482 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Martial arts, firearms, planets and capsuleers
« Reply #105 on: 05 Dec 2013, 13:23 »

A capsuleer can control the massive amounts of information pouring into their brain when linked to a ship. Using a remote drone/cyborg shell remotely via an FTL router seems rather mundane by comparison.

Just need to make sure it's anatomically correct I suppose.

This.

Dunno how I've missed this thread thus far...

Also what's to stop this ROV from being jammed and useless? 

I have to imagine that quantum entangled communications are very limited in bandwith otherwise none of the eve ships would actually be piloted except via remote from lightyears away.

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
« Reply #106 on: 05 Dec 2013, 13:59 »

Here's the problem though. If you take slaves from sparsely defended planetary settlement, someone will notice. Possibly someones. Powerful someones. Capturing crew members of freighters or frigates out in deep space is more likely to go unnoticed.
I'd be a lot more wary about angering the owner(s) of any random space freighter than the administrators of some pissant dirtling settlement on the fringes of civilization. To attempt to draw a real-life parallel: What draws the heaviest notice from the most powerful people - the capture of a random merchant ship by pirates off, say, the coast of Somalia, or the sacking of a random Somalian village? I think that's a reasonably fair comparison to make, unfortunate though the answer to the thought experiment may be.

And slave markets got their slaves from somewhere. What, you think slaves grow on trees?
They don't? Boarding crews apparently do. To answer, though, the vast majority of slaves in EVE probably come from other slaves. Slaves have been known to procreate, after all. The rest were probably taken in the aforementioned planetary settlements, or kidnapped in ways involving a whole lot less swashbucklery. It wouldn't surprise me if dishonest captains make a killing out of human trafficking, taking money from would-be refugees and selling them into slavery instead of taking them wherever they actually wanted to go. The amount of people taken as slaves in bona fide spaceship boarding actions should be miniscule.

And I did say 'heavily armed and armored' didn't I?
Of course. Which is all fun and games until somebody starts messing with the gravity settings.

And sometimes, that ship is just simply way too tough to crack and it's just alot easier to send boarders to wreck havoc and divert the capsuleer's attention for maybe a couple minutes to buy time.
That sounds more like a "desperate last resort" than "a lot easier", to me.

Also, destroying trade secret is admission that the captain has lost. You fail to account for the fact that there's also pride on the line.
If the success of a highly dangerous assault hinges entirely on the opposing commander being a complete idiot, the person ordering the assault tends to be either highly desperate, or a complete idiot him- or herself. And failing to destroy sensitive information about to fall into enemy hands is indeed idiocy.

And who can say that the boarders didn't wear magnetic boots to deal with zero gravity? And who is to say the marines fighting off the boarders aren't wearing mag-boots either?
I certainly can't say that the boarders and counter-boarders don't wear magnetic boots. They can wear all the magnets they like. I will, however, put forward the hypothesis that any attempt at close-quarter combat while wearing mag boots in zero-g is likely to look more like people dancing in slalom boots underwater than it's going to resemble any kind of martial arts technique known to humankind.

And the lack of gravity doesn't stop the Brutor from smashing True Amarr face against sharp edges on the wall.
We will have to disagree there, I think. Well, to be charitable, if by "doesn't stop" you mean "doesn't entirely rule out the possibility of", I will concede the point. But it does make it a whole lot harder.

And what about the part where the boarders meet marines while on the way to cut power? That situation, CQC has alot of value. Power doesn't cut itself, you know.
Quite, but in that scenario, all the fun defenses are still in play. Including fucking with gravity. The defenders can even choose to turn it off themselves, if it seems like a good idea to do so.

This post. How diabolically beautiful and very true.  :D

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #107 on: 05 Dec 2013, 14:02 »

Here's the problem though. If you take slaves from sparsely defended planetary settlement, someone will notice. Possibly someones. Powerful someones. Capturing crew members of freighters or frigates out in deep space is more likely to go unnoticed.
I'd be a lot more wary about angering the owner(s) of any random space freighter than the administrators of some pissant dirtling settlement on the fringes of civilization. To attempt to draw a real-life parallel: What draws the heaviest notice from the most powerful people - the capture of a random merchant ship by pirates off, say, the coast of Somalia, or the sacking of a random Somalian village? I think that's a reasonably fair comparison to make, unfortunate though the answer to the thought experiment may be.

And slave markets got their slaves from somewhere. What, you think slaves grow on trees?
They don't? Boarding crews apparently do. To answer, though, the vast majority of slaves in EVE probably come from other slaves. Slaves have been known to procreate, after all. The rest were probably taken in the aforementioned planetary settlements, or kidnapped in ways involving a whole lot less swashbucklery. It wouldn't surprise me if dishonest captains make a killing out of human trafficking, taking money from would-be refugees and selling them into slavery instead of taking them wherever they actually wanted to go. The amount of people taken as slaves in bona fide spaceship boarding actions should be miniscule.

And I did say 'heavily armed and armored' didn't I?
Of course. Which is all fun and games until somebody starts messing with the gravity settings.

And sometimes, that ship is just simply way too tough to crack and it's just alot easier to send boarders to wreck havoc and divert the capsuleer's attention for maybe a couple minutes to buy time.
That sounds more like a "desperate last resort" than "a lot easier", to me.

Also, destroying trade secret is admission that the captain has lost. You fail to account for the fact that there's also pride on the line.
If the success of a highly dangerous assault hinges entirely on the opposing commander being a complete idiot, the person ordering the assault tends to be either highly desperate, or a complete idiot him- or herself. And failing to destroy sensitive information about to fall into enemy hands is indeed idiocy.

And who can say that the boarders didn't wear magnetic boots to deal with zero gravity? And who is to say the marines fighting off the boarders aren't wearing mag-boots either?
I certainly can't say that the boarders and counter-boarders don't wear magnetic boots. They can wear all the magnets they like. I will, however, put forward the hypothesis that any attempt at close-quarter combat while wearing mag boots in zero-g is likely to look more like people dancing in slalom boots underwater than it's going to resemble any kind of martial arts technique known to humankind.

And the lack of gravity doesn't stop the Brutor from smashing True Amarr face against sharp edges on the wall.
We will have to disagree there, I think. Well, to be charitable, if by "doesn't stop" you mean "doesn't entirely rule out the possibility of", I will concede the point. But it does make it a whole lot harder.

And what about the part where the boarders meet marines while on the way to cut power? That situation, CQC has alot of value. Power doesn't cut itself, you know.
Quite, but in that scenario, all the fun defenses are still in play. Including fucking with gravity. The defenders can even choose to turn it off themselves, if it seems like a good idea to do so.

This post. How diabolically beautiful and very true.  :D

You'll love the conversation we're having about it now.  This discussion has moved.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #108 on: 05 Dec 2013, 14:37 »

A capsuleer can control the massive amounts of information pouring into their brain when linked to a ship. Using a remote drone/cyborg shell remotely via an FTL router seems rather mundane by comparison.

Just need to make sure it's anatomically correct I suppose.

This.

Dunno how I've missed this thread thus far...

Also what's to stop this ROV from being jammed and useless? 

I have to imagine that quantum entangled communications are very limited in bandwith otherwise none of the eve ships would actually be piloted except via remote from lightyears away.

What if you had a biological brain running a copy of that person's consciousness and networked with another instance of their consciousness in another body so they have a 'distributed consciousness' as it were? There wouldn't be the bandwidth issues then.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #109 on: 05 Dec 2013, 15:42 »

Problem is there that you are assuming both consciousness-es would operate identically, in perfect sync. In fact, from the moment the separated they would begin to diverge into different people on account of their separate experiences... Unless you decided to have a continuous open link operating on a massive level of emotional, sensory, and cognitive inter-connectivity.

Putting aside that it isn't clear if such a link is feasible with the human mind or EVE's technology, such a link would probably take even MORE bandwidth than just running a simple remote platform.

I will also add that I remember a comment from CCP somewhere on the EVE-O forums where they suggested top-of-the-line, bleeding-edge-compactness fluid router would be the size of a largish suitcase; most models would be closer to a large home refrigerator, so just slapping one onto a human-size platform isn't a possibility.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]