Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your 'flagship'.  (Read 9300 times)

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
Your 'flagship'.
« on: 07 Oct 2013, 04:26 »

In EVE, every player regardless of skill level, experience, or occupation has a small fleet of ships at their fingertips performing various functions as tools best suited for their everyday activities. They do what they have to do, and then they are put away for the next time a particular role needs to be filled.

As roleplayers however - there's the opportunity to use the diverse looks and functions of various vessels to help further define the character. I'm talking about the ship, or even just the class of ship, that the capsuleer would take to a parade or fleet review, the ship that represents them or even just has that 'look' or 'vibe' that puts it all together.

So I ask, for your characters, what is their flagship? Do they have one at all?

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: Your 'flagship'.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2013, 07:32 »

Last time I was on a parade, I did go in an Absolution.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2013, 09:55 »

Archon-class "HIMS Justice Reaffirmed". Built c.a. YC113 to replace the previous flagship, Archon-class "HIMS In Justice Bound", lost in action. Currently configured to operate in the 'Pantheon' (mutual defense, drone warfare) setup alongside other carriers, representing the balance of defense and offense that Esna advocates for the Empire. The ship itself is actually rarely used in combat, with a secondary less important Archon hull typically used for standard pilot-vs-pilot combat. Instead, the ship is reserved for action against immediate direct threats against the Empire while continuing to quietly serve as a mobile base of operations for the "New Life program", an ex-slave education effort previously operated by Saikoyu Eblis-Kad.

Assuming we were going for a parade in highsec, though, Esna would probably take an Abaddon, simply because that ship is absolutely beautiful, blunt, and in-your-face in a way that battleships should be. (Yes, I am rather sad that the Abaddon is now kind of meh compared to the Apoc and 'geddon.)
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2013, 10:11 »

Elmund does not do flagship because he isn't important enough to parade around in a ship. He does, however, have a favorite ship that he flies often, that most of the time has, sort of, become associated with him by those who do know him. This ship is his Breacher, and all of them were named 'Falcata'.

However, I would like to change that.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

AOkazon

• Wetgraver
  • 'zis is going to be ze awezome.
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2013, 11:20 »

Midular, a Hyperion-class Battleship. The Hype isn't good for much, but damn if it doesn't look good on parade.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2013, 12:25 »

Lyn considers her ships as pure tools (and interesting marvels to be investigated in everyway possible), but the thought to use one as a flagship or parade just does not fit her character at all, and probably never has crossed her mind...

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2013, 12:33 »

The Anathema 'The Good Omens' :P

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2013, 12:45 »

During PIE's 10th anniversary parades, I used an Arbitrator and Prophecy on Samira because they're big, but neither of those really fit her tbh.

Like Lyn, Samira treats her ships as tools and so she doesn't place much value on them (nor on her crews). But the ship type that fits her most is the Slicer. It's small, fast, and built to deal damage while avoiding any kind of threat to itself, as it is very fragile if caught. Plus, the name of the ship itself implies bladed weapons like knives, which are a motif I like using with Samira (she only uses a knife for personal defense, which she is quick to draw when feeling threatened).
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2013, 12:47 by Samira Kernher »

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2013, 15:37 »

Every time I get a good feeling about a ship it blows up.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2013, 15:43 »

Okay so, shit... Kat has a number of ships that could be considered flagships. The thing is, she chooses ships based on where they will be operating and what she will be doing. Furthermore, whatever ship she is on at the time is considered a 'flagship' by very definition. As a Vice-Admiral of I-RED, whatever ship she's on is the one carrying the VADM's flag... thus, it is a flagship.

So now we're left with the question of... since any ship she's on is technically a flagship... which one does she prefer to use? Well that's a complicated question, one that occupies far too much of my time when preparing for any IC RP situation. (OOC PvP ship selection is very straightforward)

There are multiple criteria that are weighed for a given situation. The first is deployment time. How long will Katrina be deployed in this vessel? This is important, as ship hulls do not have indefinite supplies for the crew, and many ships are designed without crew comforts in mind. While OOCly, ships have no operational limits, IC I tend to follow lore.

Frigate - For solo deployments with minimal or no crew. Often lasting an hour or so, but with the capability to stay longer due to the minimal crew supply requirements. Often used for situations where there is little prep-time and the ship must be launched and on site as soon as possible, without knowing how long the deployment will last.

Destroyer - For patrols lasting longer than one day but no more than a week. Since the ship is cramped on the inside and supplies are strictly rationed for the crew, destroyers cannot tolerate long term deployments without resupply. Used on occasions where arriving on site is needed quickly, but engagements with other capsuleers is not expected.

Cruiser - For deployments of varying types lasting longer than one week. Since cruisers are relatively comfortable and designed for long term deployments without resupply, these ships are the baseline for most deployments. Capable of keeping a crew comfortable well past Katrina's own time limits for being cooped up in the capsule. This is the level at which crew endurance surpasses her own.

Battlecruiser - For longer term mobile deployments where firepower and combat endurance is more important and a show of force is necessary. Battlecruisers are even more spacious than cruisers by their nature. Similar to destroyers in that their focus is on combat more than comfort, they happen to be far more capable of keeping the crew happy with multiple shift rotations. Since battlecruisers can spend years out in space without docking, there is no real need to resupply at all.

Battleship - For immobile deployments where Katrina's presence in one specific area is required with the ability to land troops or equipment to planets on a large scale. They are not used in situations where she will be expected to pack up and move quickly. Battleships are used as a small mobile base of operations, and come equipped with the crew endurance and extra personnel to fill that role nicely. While unable to supply other ships, it is almost completely self sufficient and provides a method for Katrina's operations to continue with minimal reliance on stationary structures.

Capitals - As expected, capitals are literally a base of operations. This includes the flexible nature of an Orca, the transport capacity of a freighter, or the pure combat reliability of a carrier. Rarely deployed, very expensive, but with phenomenal operational usefulness.

Now it's worth noting that where she will be deployed often influences what racial variant she'll be using. This is due to logistical reasons as well as 'blending in'. It's easier to find cheaper and higher quality supplies or spare parts for a Tempest in Metropolis than it would be to find the same for a Raven.

Every ship has a use, and it really depends on what the situation is to determine which ship gets used. This is all roleplay though, and if I need something for OOC reasons, I'll pull it out of the bag and simply use it regardless of what IC restrictions it ought to have.

[spoiler=Adorable Typing Cat .gif][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2013, 16:18 by Katrina Oniseki »

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2013, 16:41 »

Every time I get a good feeling about a ship it blows up.

This, so much. ;_;

The many men, so beautiful!
And they all dead did lie;
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 07 Oct 2013, 16:41 »

Constantin has a series of ships, often meant for specific roles.  However, when just flying around doing cleanup, he flies a Malediction called the "Shannon's Song."

Considering all of his other ships are named after books of the Bible (Leviticus, Job, Exodus, etc.) Shannon's Song's name is a reference to my IRL wife.  She has a tendency to sing little rambling songs where things don't necessarily rhyme completely and it tends to follow her stream of consciousness.  She was singing when I started playing the game, so my first ship, an Executioner, I named after her.

Still not sure how I'm going to work it into Constantin if someone ever asks about his ship's name, but he never really brings it up.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 07 Oct 2013, 17:43 »

Excellent thread!!

Silas' Archon Abyssinia has served as her flagship for the last five or six years.  I'll insert the channel descriptions here later.  It has been the host for a ton of fun RP events, featuring an expansive observation deck, assorted smaller venues, and as some of you have been invited to, the captain's quarters for private wheelings and dealings.

The ship has seen repeated action over the better part of the last decade and has yet to be destroyed.  This was the first carrier that I qualified for and purchased, and this is still the original hull. It's never been lost *knock on wood*   It's even had a few pot shots taken at it by a Titan and managed to run away in time :)  Of course now that I've typed this I will be jinxing the survivability of the ship, but it will be a horrible IC loss whenever that day does come.

A close 2nd is (obviously) Silas' Bhaalgorn. This is more a 'ship of the line' and has been preying upon victims for some time now.  While the upper decks are as magnificent and opulent as any money can buy, the lower decks are worse than you can imagine.   Remember the movie Legend? That horrible dungeon in the castle? That's what I'm talking about.  Eldritch ceremonies and no hope for the captured :P

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #13 on: 08 Oct 2013, 09:26 »

Steffanie's flagship was initially the Winter Rose, a Thorax-class cruiser which is currently collecting dust in a hangar somewhere and ought to be refit.

Upon receiving the ship and though it sat in a hangar for nearly a month and a half before I even attempted to fly it, the flagship of her fleet is her Whitethorne, Megathron-class battleship. I've even created a channel for the captain's quarters of the vessel.

Even if and when I can get up to the Navy 'thron (unless I trade in the Whitethorne to get the Navy version) or even get into a Vindi or Kronos, this 'little' Megathron will likely remain the flagship.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 08 Oct 2013, 10:06 »

I like this thread very much.

Kat, gods damn, what a post!  I wish I'd put half as much thought into my ship choices as that.

For Havo, who's a very versatile pilot, if he were to designate a flagship it would probably be his Maelstrom - the Slaver's Fang, named for one of the most ill-omened Voluval marks one can receive.  At this time, I will neither confirm nor deny that Havohej wears said mark.    :yar:

Lately, though, I'm most often in the Sacrilege Broteau or the Loki Colelie.  Both ships are named to commemorate the assassination of Karin Midular, whom Havo hated with a raging passion because reasons.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5