Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: EVE Rubicon  (Read 20475 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: EVE Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:04 »

Besides the SoE ships, I have seen nothing that excites me yet. And I already doubt the SoE ships will allow me new roles to fulfill. So while my new goal can be to achieve one of those ships, I can already reach that goal before the "expansion" is launched. And after I have gotten the ship(s), it is back to the same old grind.

On the other hand, they are making it harder to make a profit out of PI without improving upon the actual PI experience (which, second to WiS, is the most underdelivered feature ever released).

All in all, I again wonder what all those man-hours at CCP are being spend on. Besides the new Deploy Mobile Structures I do not see anything here that requires major development effort or technical difficulties.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:24 »

All of my  :cube: for the deployable autoloot buddy. Between that and salvage drones, I'm going to actually run out of things to put in my highslots on the Marauder.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:29 »

My first eve version was Empyrean Age. Every single expansion up until Incarna with the exception of Quantum Rise added a major new game feature. Building on what Myyona said...

Empyrean Age: Factional warfare
Quantum Rise: ???
Apocrypha: Wormhole space
Dominion: Sweeping new sovereignty mechanics
Tyrannis: Planetary interaction
Incursion: Incursions
Incarna: Incarna
Crucible: Patch
Inferno: Patch
Retribution: Patch
Odyssey: Patch
Rubicon: Patch

I miss actual expansions, not iterations. Post Incarnagate CCP don't want to take risks I suppose.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:52 »

Well, after Incarna they said no more "Jesus-features" and instead they would focus on iterating on existing content. But they do not iterate on the features that need it the most. Odyssey's focus on the exploration system was completely misplaced, as the previous exploration mechanics were pretty fine already, and many other systems are in much dire need.

EDIT: And it does not appear that any of these are in scope for Rubicon either.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 01:53 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:02 »

Time to increase my sec status so I can meaningfully stomp on some faces in high security space.  Glad CCP are making war decs more than station games when people have designs on a system! 

As for my creative side, there seems to be a growing move towards 'find and own your own space' - an industry that I think has boundless possibilities and a high potential rate of consumption.  I may not be king of any future castle, but I make good bank selling bricks and mortar as it is ;).

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:30 »

Well, after Incarna they said no more "Jesus-features" and instead they would focus on iterating on existing content. But they do not iterate on the features that need it the most. Odyssey's focus on the exploration system was completely misplaced, as the previous exploration mechanics were pretty fine already, and many other systems are in much dire need.

I can agree to some extent with your Odyssey point. However, the rest of the expansions have done a LOT of heavy and much needed work.

As for Seriphyn's list...

Crucible: Time Dialiation was a major and extremely needed iteration on the game itself. TONS of new features and low hanging fruit was tackled with Crucible too, and I think it's extremely narrow minded to call it "just a patch". Just look at the page for it. It's a HUGE list.

Inferno: A major FW overhaul, breathing much needed life back into that long suffering area of the game. A much improved inventory and UI system also solved many of my issues with the existing one, setting the stage for many further inventory iterations in later patches.

Retribution: Seriously? Calling Retribution a patch?! It's one of the highest rated expansions in EVE's history! The crimewatch overhaul was a MASSIVE undertaking that was years in the making. They had to recode the entire thing from the ground up!

I think you might want to pull your head out of the sand if you're calling those three "patches". CCP has done excellent work with these patches, and just because you aren't getting brand new major features while others languish without attention. You can't keep your cake and eat it too. There's a massive backlog of existing content that needs to be fixed and improved upon before CCP starts throwing all their weight into brand new stuff again.

Think of it like a car that has engine troubles. Do you want a fancy new spoiler that doesn't really do anything, or do you want to fix those oil leaks and get your air conditioner working again? EVE is in dire need of many more expansions like the last four. Mining, Manufacturing, Research, Planetary Interaction, Starbases, Non-Security Missions, User Interface, and don't forget Walking-in-Stations. All of them need an overhaul or major iterations. That doesn't even take into account the multitude of other areas that still need work in some form or another (bounty hunting, wardecs, nullsec, client/server stability, etc.), or the parts of the game that cannot ever be left to stagnate - Ship Balancing and Graphics.

There is way way way too much work to be done on EVE still. You wanna know why you're so bored? It's because half the game is still broken or suffering, or exactly the same way they were 5-10 years ago.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:48 »

On the other hand, they are making it harder to make a profit out of PI without improving upon the actual PI experience (which, second to WiS, is the most underdelivered feature ever released).

Amen.
From a personal aggravation perspective, it's also another step toward making the solo game harder.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 04:50 by Vieve »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:53 »

I like that moon vampire thing. Reminds me old scify scoundrels parasiting the cogs of the megacorps exploiting the world.

However I don't like them including the same custom offices mechanisms than in low sec, but in high sec. I guess we can say goodbye to solo industry, or solo play in general with that kind of things.

You know the most interesting aspect I see there is the concept of player/corporation owned stargates. I've seen missions where the pirate factions have their own deadspace stargates and I think the ability for players/corps/alliances to deploy their own super secret stargate networks would make things very interesting in low/null space.

Sure some people will whine they can't camp lowsec chokepoints with sebo Lokis or deploying bubbles in null, but I still hope it works out just so I can hopefully watch smaller nullsec groups able to do Chairman Mao style raiding/guerilla wars in mega-bloc space or indy groups being able to enter lowsec territory while giving the finger to smartbomb BS campers.

<3

Besides the SoE ships, I have seen nothing that excites me yet. And I already doubt the SoE ships will allow me new roles to fulfill. So while my new goal can be to achieve one of those ships, I can already reach that goal before the "expansion" is launched. And after I have gotten the ship(s), it is back to the same old grind.

All in all, I again wonder what all those man-hours at CCP are being spend on. Besides the new Deploy Mobile Structures I do not see anything here that requires major development effort or technical difficulties.

They are working on Valkyrie I guess... >.>

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:50 »

I guess we can say goodbye to solo industry, or solo play in general with that kind of things.
/quote]

There's a wonderful game called X3: Rebirth coming out if you want solo play.  I kinda like the fact their doing the "Multiplayer" part of the "Massively Multiplayer Online Game".
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 05:53 by Techie Kanenald »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:56 »

...meh... "We want you to be able to take control and colonize space," but we aren't going to talk about how we are going to make the building part more interesting/enjoyable.
Think I'll stick with the Jade Doctrine: We burn empires, not build them.    :yar:

I'm quite enjoying building actually, and protecting what I've built.

Philosophically one might argue we built freedom (and the terrifying responsibility of individual choice) whilst I make no bones about the quote which is quite accurate, not everything beautiful or creative needs to be an empire, in fact little of genuine value to individualist posthumanity can be remotely categorized as imperial.

Its a fact easily forgotten by history but the Fraction built quite a lot of things, some of the most impressive things in space actually, though we never believed in building conformity or the drive to dominate or subdue the individual infomorph, baseline or throwback.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:59 »

I rather reluctantly agree. It doesn't appear particularly content rich. Have to hope there is more stuff waiting in the wings. A little sad when two new spaceships is a wonder ...

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2013, 06:04 »

I guess we can say goodbye to solo industry, or solo play in general with that kind of things.

There's a wonderful game called X3: Rebirth coming out if you want solo play.  I kinda like the fact their doing the "Multiplayer" part of the "Massively Multiplayer Online Game".

Tsch.

Where did I say that they only had to provide solo play exclusively ?

I'm not asking that everything should be possible to do solo. I'm just saying that a few parts of that game, be it missions, exploration, industry, etc, can be soloed for some things (level 4, basic PI exploitation, standard exploration sites, etc), while other parts of that game, be it again missions, exploration, industry, etc, can only be achieved in multi (level 5, incursions, sleepers/WHs, etc).
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2013, 08:26 by Lyn Farel »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2013, 07:40 »

Ignoring that Multiplayer just means more than one human is playing the same game:

What is the cost to wardec Goonswarm again ? 800M isk was it ?

ok, Corporation A, wants to control the hi-sec Customs offices in constellation X. Those customs offices are owned by Goonswarm. Corporation A decides to spend the 800+ M isk to wardec, take down, and replace those customs offices. How long do those offices need to stay up, in order to recover that 1Bn or so investment ?
Goonswarm ignore that wardec, observe what the war was about, then, declare on Corporation A. Because of size, it only costs them 100M to wardec.
Corp A, loses their investment, and the customs offices didn't even come close to paying off, before control was lost again.
They cannot justify the expense of trying again, other than for e-peen.

And that's a situation that will be apparent for anyone else considering looking at the customs office control.

It hugely favours larger entities over small entities. The rational, financial decision is to just let Goonswarm or other large entity control the customs offices, and deal with the fiddlyness and expense of rocket launching instead.

So... yeah, solo/small groups of characters, are squeezed out.

No need to be a jerk and mention X3.
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2013, 07:51 »

I'm curious how it will be for those of us who intend to remain loyal to the empires.

Faction loyalists will be regarded as quaint. Like the Amish or something.
\o/

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:02 »

Ignoring that Multiplayer just means more than one human is playing the same game:

What is the cost to wardec Goonswarm again ? 800M isk was it ?

ok, Corporation A, wants to control the hi-sec Customs offices in constellation X. Those customs offices are owned by Goonswarm. Corporation A decides to spend the 800+ M isk to wardec, take down, and replace those customs offices. How long do those offices need to stay up, in order to recover that 1Bn or so investment ?
Goonswarm ignore that wardec, observe what the war was about, then, declare on Corporation A. Because of size, it only costs them 100M to wardec.
Corp A, loses their investment, and the customs offices didn't even come close to paying off, before control was lost again.
They cannot justify the expense of trying again, other than for e-peen.

And that's a situation that will be apparent for anyone else considering looking at the customs office control.

It hugely favours larger entities over small entities. The rational, financial decision is to just let Goonswarm or other large entity control the customs offices, and deal with the fiddlyness and expense of rocket launching instead.

So... yeah, solo/small groups of characters, are squeezed out.

No need to be a jerk and mention X3.

just launch it? not use the customs office.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10