Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: EVE Rubicon  (Read 20472 times)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: EVE Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:07 »

just to sound ignorant.......whats the meaning of rubicon in this context? i've tried to find it on wikipedia/internet....and all i get is "spy" references or cities/rivers....

anyone knows?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:08 »

I guess we can say goodbye to solo industry, or solo play in general with that kind of things.

There's a wonderful game called X3: Rebirth coming out if you want solo play.  I kinda like the fact their doing the "Multiplayer" part of the "Massively Multiplayer Online Game".

Ignoring that Multiplayer just means more than one human is playing the same game:

What is the cost to wardec Goonswarm again ? 800M isk was it ?

ok, Corporation A, wants to control the hi-sec Customs offices in constellation X. Those customs offices are owned by Goonswarm. Corporation A decides to spend the 800+ M isk to wardec, take down, and replace those customs offices. How long do those offices need to stay up, in order to recover that 1Bn or so investment ?
Goonswarm ignore that wardec, observe what the war was about, then, declare on Corporation A. Because of size, it only costs them 100M to wardec.
Corp A, loses their investment, and the customs offices didn't even come close to paying off, before control was lost again.
They cannot justify the expense of trying again, other than for e-peen.

And that's a situation that will be apparent for anyone else considering looking at the customs office control.

It hugely favours larger entities over small entities. The rational, financial decision is to just let Goonswarm or other large entity control the customs offices, and deal with the fiddlyness and expense of rocket launching instead.

So... yeah, solo/small groups of characters, are squeezed out.

No need to be a jerk and mention X3.

just launch it? not use the customs office.

Yes? I mentioned that.
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:12 »

just to sound ignorant.......whats the meaning of rubicon in this context? i've tried to find it on wikipedia/internet....and all i get is "spy" references or cities/rivers....

anyone knows?

Crossing the Rubicon is a point-of-no-return.

It relates to Julius Caesar, leading his army across the Rubicon river, from Gaul into Italy, which was an act of war against the Roman Republic. After that point, he'd either be a traitor or a hero, there was no going back.
\o/

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:18 »

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:26 »

...meh... "We want you to be able to take control and colonize space," but we aren't going to talk about how we are going to make the building part more interesting/enjoyable.
Think I'll stick with the Jade Doctrine: We burn empires, not build them.    :yar:

I'm quite enjoying building actually, and protecting what I've built.

Philosophically one might argue we built freedom (and the terrifying responsibility of individual choice) whilst I make no bones about the quote which is quite accurate, not everything beautiful or creative needs to be an empire, in fact little of genuine value to individualist posthumanity can be remotely categorized as imperial.

Its a fact easily forgotten by history but the Fraction built quite a lot of things, some of the most impressive things in space actually, though we never believed in building conformity or the drive to dominate or subdue the individual infomorph, baseline or throwback.

So when are you coming back to EVE?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:47 »

In other words, solo and small group PI is still viable, but the incentive for playing nice and working with larger organizations who have the resources to mount such large offensives increase. Personally I see that as nothing but a positive for emergent gameplay in a sandbox game like EVE.

Now, if they'd only take the training wheels off of DUST...  :bash:

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:50 »

For the record, etc, etc.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:50 »

...meh... "We want you to be able to take control and colonize space," but we aren't going to talk about how we are going to make the building part more interesting/enjoyable.
Think I'll stick with the Jade Doctrine: We burn empires, not build them.    :yar:

I'm quite enjoying building actually, and protecting what I've built.

Philosophically one might argue we built freedom (and the terrifying responsibility of individual choice) whilst I make no bones about the quote which is quite accurate, not everything beautiful or creative needs to be an empire, in fact little of genuine value to individualist posthumanity can be remotely categorized as imperial.

Its a fact easily forgotten by history but the Fraction built quite a lot of things, some of the most impressive things in space actually, though we never believed in building conformity or the drive to dominate or subdue the individual infomorph, baseline or throwback.

So when are you coming back to EVE?

Is always the question really, would have to find something interesting to do though, most of my posthuman anarchist companions have gone to sleep or drifted away...

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2013, 08:55 »

In other words, solo and small group PI is still viable, but the incentive for playing nice and working with larger organizations who have the resources to mount such large offensives increase. Personally I see that as nothing but a positive for emergent gameplay in a sandbox game like EVE.

Now, if they'd only take the training wheels off of DUST...  :bash:

+1  Let's work as a community folks, no man is an island unto itself.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2013, 09:01 »

anyone knows?

Crossing the Rubicon is a point-of-no-return.

It relates to Julius Caesar, leading his army across the Rubicon river, from Gaul into Italy, which was an act of war against the Roman Republic. After that point, he'd either be a traitor or a hero, there was no going back.

interesting, in latin america culture, such a reference is rarely used.....other expressions are more common....

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2013, 09:19 »

Those SOE ships are beautiful. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2013, 09:35 »

Those ships are gorgeous.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2013, 10:02 »

I guess we can say goodbye to solo industry, or solo play in general with that kind of things.

There's a wonderful game called X3: Rebirth coming out if you want solo play.  I kinda like the fact their doing the "Multiplayer" part of the "Massively Multiplayer Online Game".

Ignoring that Multiplayer just means more than one human is playing the same game:

What is the cost to wardec Goonswarm again ? 800M isk was it ?

ok, Corporation A, wants to control the hi-sec Customs offices in constellation X. Those customs offices are owned by Goonswarm. Corporation A decides to spend the 800+ M isk to wardec, take down, and replace those customs offices. How long do those offices need to stay up, in order to recover that 1Bn or so investment ?
Goonswarm ignore that wardec, observe what the war was about, then, declare on Corporation A. Because of size, it only costs them 100M to wardec.
Corp A, loses their investment, and the customs offices didn't even come close to paying off, before control was lost again.
They cannot justify the expense of trying again, other than for e-peen.

And that's a situation that will be apparent for anyone else considering looking at the customs office control.

It hugely favours larger entities over small entities. The rational, financial decision is to just let Goonswarm or other large entity control the customs offices, and deal with the fiddlyness and expense of rocket launching instead.

So... yeah, solo/small groups of characters, are squeezed out.

No need to be a jerk and mention X3.

It necessitates these different entities to band together and find a location they can conduct their PI work from. No longer being able to safely/reliably farm highsec means more coordination work needs to be put in. Conversely, larger entities that can afford the cost will be willing to defend and setup POCOs.

The issue with POCO profitability is that it is so easy to use different ones elsewhere, thus there is no user pressuring. Unless you live in a one or two system alliance territory, but even then they might simply import elsewhere. If the general users had to go to 'POCO hubs', where they can reliably access their materials, profitability will shoot up insanely high.

A billion or two investment in that case might not be out of the question, if you have enough people regularly using your services.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:37 »

Those SoE ships look cool because they actually look like spaceships. Most EVE ships are just variants of spastic geese.

I'm slightly resentful we haven't heard anything about the new ship models since they were hinted at in Fanfest 2012 (new Gallente and Amarr frigs etc). There's an inconsistent starship design between, say, the Maller and Apoc and the rest of the Amarr fleet, and the Tornado and Tempest with the rest of the Minmatar fleet, etc.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #44 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:38 »

Not sure a wardec will be necessary, there was the throwaway comment of "CONCORD won't Police these"

Honestly solo play isn't dead, but it's certainly being made more hands on and less passive, which to be honest I'm finding to be a good thing.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10