Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC  (Read 39599 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
Re: CCP Falcon: Live from OOC
« Reply #225 on: 22 Sep 2013, 05:51 »

You're fine with years of RP events being binned ?
If it were to pave the way for something better, absolutely - wouldn't bat an eyelid. Not that I think CCP would need to go anywhere near as far as full scorched earth, but I'm absolutely confident that if it did Falcon would be capable of delivering such a "something better."  The roleplay community lost a fair few important figures over the past few years and in my opinion its current behaviour is not only driving more of them away, it's actively discouraging new arrivals from engaging with us.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #226 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:21 »

Sometimes I put myself in the shoes of a newcomer, willing to roleplay and also willing to roleplay for conflict and what Eve stands for. Most of the time you either have the choice to :

- Get along with the hugglefest and/or key figures, at the expense of conflict, which often results in apolitical characters mostly fitted for parties and chitchat.

- Go the hard way and choose conflict. Most of the time this results in the newcomer being totally inexperienced in either what conflicts and consequences are in Eve, and also how this translates into RP in itself, which often doubles the dramatic consequences that can follow, since the RP community is not that huge and your utter failings can sometimes mean that your character reputation is doomed and only worth to get thrashed/biomassed eventually, for the simple reason that it will not get diluted in the mass and people will remembers. This is especially true for a new character that can antagonize (even with friends) and does not have the reputation backbone of an experienced RPer to soften these consequences (people will be more forgiving for someone liked, and more forgiving for someone that does not have to prove himself anymore). So eventually, getting into RP in Eve if this path is chosen often makes me think to those baby turtles rushing to the sea and hoping to be the one on thousands to succeed and not geting eaten by all the birds and predators around.

I think that if there is something in which the community is not doing very well and could do better, is it's tolerance and acceptance that new blood can make mistakes, and that lambasting them at the first error either ICly and more grave, OOCly, is not the best way to deal with it. Sure, making mistakes means consequences and like everything in Eve, means learning it the hard way. But the RP community also tends to take one of the bad sides of the Eve community in general, which is to think itself very elitist (i'm fine with elitism, i'm a damn elitist on RP quality and all that) and thus that people are somehow held to pass some kind of hardcore initiation rite to be accepted. Most of the time reactions are different whether it's a newcomer doing a mistake, or and old player. It's some kind of passive and diffuse OOC/IC bleedover in its way.

Of course the best advice for newcomers is always to find a RP corporation/group to play with and make his teeth with, so that it at least offers a certain layer of protection. It does not mean that protection is infallible, quite the contrary, but it still is there. Also, there is the risk to join a corporation that has been more or less shunned by the RP echo chamber, and those exist everywhere. Most of the time they are living on the fringe because their leader is despised, or something in that vein. And where the community is sometimes guilty, is to just look at the ticker of the newcomer and curbstomp him ICly just because of it.

Not surprising in the end that most choose the safe path.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #227 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:44 »

My personal experience with the RP community when I was a wide eyed roleplaying newb, was to not even realise the Summit or OOC existed. I spent 6 months RPing purely inside Gradient and EM before meeting anyone from outside of the alliance. This meant that I was grounded enough in PF and what I should and should not be doing that the Summit was a relatively easy thing to just merge into.

However, in retrospect I'm not overly sure that joining the Summit was a good idea. While the frequency and variety of my RP increased, I can't help but feel that my RP also became a lot less meaningful.

On the flip side of that though, the number of OOC friendships I developed ballooned rapidly :P

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #228 on: 22 Sep 2013, 07:20 »

My personal experience with the RP community when I was a wide eyed roleplaying newb, was to not even realise the Summit or OOC existed. I spent 6 months RPing purely inside Gradient and EM before meeting anyone from outside of the alliance. This meant that I was grounded enough in PF and what I should and should not be doing that the Summit was a relatively easy thing to just merge into.

However, in retrospect I'm not overly sure that joining the Summit was a good idea. While the frequency and variety of my RP increased, I can't help but feel that my RP also became a lot less meaningful.

On the flip side of that though, the number of OOC friendships I developed ballooned rapidly :P

Pretty much my experience.  This is why I steer clear of the 'community' outside OOC and this forum, and just get on with 'living the game' in character.  It avoids drama and I deal with people on my terms (or the terms of those I act with, when considering corporate scale activities). 

The dual failure of people to respect one another on a basic, human level, and their continued inability to just harden up to the fact that RP IS META and will be gamed as such, have made the entire farce laughable on a good day, and not worth delving in to on any other.  The community doesn't exist - it is a banner everyone will compliment but no one would truly stand under.  Therefore it is meaningless.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #229 on: 22 Sep 2013, 13:16 »

I've probably said this before; my first RP experience in EVE was the jello wrestling match, where I was pretty much universally ignored by everyone present (to the point that they didn't even remember I was there, this came up several times in later months. "You were there??").  The only two people who acknowledged me at the event was Leopold and Che Biko.  Che introduced me to The Bunny Lounge, where though there were a few dramafests OOCly (for the record this BS  recently blowing all of that out of the water), I had a fucking blast - likely some of the best RP I have had in EVE since I've started -- AND NONE OF IT VIOLATED PF.  It was the TBL crowd who introed me to the summit and OOC channels.

I would like to think I am a good roleplayer.  I would like to think I am relatively derp free.  Yet I started off in a fringe group because no one else even had an interest in finding out who I was, and not due to any derpery on my part.  I didn't show up at the event shooting baseliners in the face or screaming about how awesome I was.

I think people should think about that.  When the "friendly" people in the RP community are considered islands of misfit toys by everyone else... it's time for a bit of self reflection. 

/still being angry and bitter

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #230 on: 22 Sep 2013, 18:48 »

I didn't show up at the event shooting baseliners in the face or screaming about how awesome I was.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

But seriously, +1 Arista

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #231 on: 22 Sep 2013, 19:32 »

I would have said 'Hi', Ari, but the jello wrestling match was fairly intensive for me and I didn't really get the opportunity to pay attention to anyone but Ava, Anslol, Scherezad and the nice lady that took care of me between getting hit and everyone realising it.

Vikarion

« Reply #232 on: 22 Sep 2013, 21:39 »

I would have said 'Hi', Ari, but the jello wrestling match was fairly intensive for me and I didn't really get the opportunity to pay attention to anyone but Ava, Anslol, Scherezad and the nice lady that took care of me between getting hit and everyone realising it.

I wasn't there, sorry.  :P

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #233 on: 23 Sep 2013, 04:52 »

Having trouble composing a response that isn't decaffeinated bitterness. :) *hug all*

Anslol

« Reply #234 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:32 »

I think people should think about that.  When the "friendly" people in the RP community are considered islands of misfit toys by everyone else... it's time for a bit of self reflection. 

Well I was a wee bit busy to say hi to most people cause :CONTENTKREASHUNS: but...I can't help but agree with exactly what Arista said. When those who the community branded as 'undesirable' are the ones that are better at bringing in and helping new RPers and making them feel welcome and helping them have fun than well, The Community...

You're gonna have a bad time.

Then again I'm an 'undesirable' so maybe I'm just biased vOv

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #235 on: 23 Sep 2013, 09:54 »

Uhm...for the record, as far as I know (but hey, I don't hang out on the OOC channel) I'm neither branded "desirable" nor "undesirable".
I actually don't get much critique at all, bad or good, which sometimes leaves me wondering what other players think of me.

I wrote somewhere on here that I believe I'm considered somewhat neutral and able to move between groups/cliques with relative ease. Since nobody corrected this, most of the time I continue believing this is true.
-OOChé

Anslol

« Reply #236 on: 23 Sep 2013, 10:21 »

Not referring to you specifically Che. More in general based on Arista's statement and my own observations. Didn't mean to offend.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #237 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:40 »

I'm not sure where Arista or Anslo get the idea that they are 'undesirable'. All the ladies desire some Anslo, and Arista brings all the boyz to the yard.

Anslol

« Reply #238 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:57 »

God dammit it was just sarcasm... = =

The point I was trying to make is that a group who were normally shunned/disliked/whatever by the community at large helped to make a new RPer feel welcome and help them to have fun with no real derpery or assholery.

Shouldn't that say something about the community when those they 'exiled' are better able to situate newcomers and help them have fun than said community?

DISCLAIMER: No Che, not you I'm talkin' about here.

EDIT: Also no, this is not about HURRHURR MODS=TYRANTS. Clearly they do the jobs they have to do and that's that. This is about ERRBODY.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013, 13:01 by Anslol »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #239 on: 24 Sep 2013, 11:34 »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21