Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.  (Read 16812 times)

JMadFour

• Civire/Brutor halfbreed
  • Clonejack
Caldari Suffixes and phrases.
« on: 01 Aug 2013, 14:18 »

I see you guys in IGS using these a lot.

Please explain them to me, so that I know what I am reading.

thanks!

Anslol

Re: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2013, 14:33 »

It's part of the player made Caldari language Napaani, a language system created as something fun for people to use/immerse in OOCly, and create an IC explanation of how the Caldari communicate despite having broad and varying linguistic and cultural backgrounds. It's akin to Mandarin Chinese versus other dialects (Cantonese, Changshahua, Weinan-huu, etc).

There's a primer...and I have it downloaded...but I forgot from where. When I'm home I'll make an upload for you!

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2013, 14:48 »

-haan = Citizen (male)
-haani = Citizen (female)

-suuolo = Friend
-Kirjuun = Admixture of Comrade/Coworker/Sibling

-guri = Gangmember/Criminal
-hnolku = Criminal
-baka = Idiot/Fool
-tyuui = Scum

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:17 »

There's a primer...and I have it downloaded...but I forgot from where. When I'm home I'll make an upload for you!

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Ken/Napanii_Primer_(July_10)%5B1%5D.pdf

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:17 »

-haan = Citizen (male)

-suuolo = Friend

-hnolku = Criminal
-baka = Idiot/Fool
-tyuui = Scum

This is basically all you need to know.  The only other Napaani words that come up are:

'Heian' is difficult to translate, and essentially means 'Caldari ideal'; what all Caldari should aspire to be in their actions and mindset.

Jaijii = Foreigner, derogatory implication.  Used both independently and as a suffix.

...why do I have a horrible feeling I've misspelled those?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:46 »

I've made a few edits to Pieter's post.

-Kirjuun = Admixture of Comrade/Coworker/Sibling Close, but Kirjuun is not used in the familial sense, as it means comrade in the sense of service to a common organization, like a fellow corp officer.

-guri = Gangmember/Criminal "Naughty", in the criminal sense. Guri literally translates into naughty, as Guristas translates into "naughty people" and is a slang term for gang.

-hnolku = Criminal "Traitor" It's literally taken from a family name. Ullia Hnolku, the creatore of Insorum, ended up branded a traitor of the Caldari State in some live event arc I was never around for.

NAPANII GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS
Hello: Saisieni
Hi: Saisa
Goodbye: Uaaka

NOUNS
Patriot: Uakan
Practical: Usari
Liberal: Ualaa
Ship: Maru
Pod: Yasun
Station: Sasaanko
Planet: Wakuu
Sun: Aunni
Moon: Tsuun
Foreigner: Jaijii
Friend: Suuolo
Citizen: lastname-haani(fem)/-haan(male)
Comrade: Kirjuun (As in, a fellow corp Officer)
Loyal: Onuoto (Ukaki do onuoto, Hnolku tyuui...)
Traitor: Hnolku
Fool: Baka
Dissident: Jaalan
Scum: Tyuui
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2013, 15:50 by Katrina Oniseki »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:50 »

-Kirjuun = Admixture of Comrade/Coworker/Sibling Close, but Kirjuun is not used in the familial sense, as it means comrade in the sense of service to a common organization, like a fellow corp officer.

-guri = Gangmember/Criminal "Naughty", in the criminal sense. Guri literally translates into naughty, as Guristas translates into "naughty people" and is a slang term for gang.

-hnolku = Criminal "Traitor" It's literally taken from a family name. Ullia Hnolku, the creatore of Insorum, ended up branded a traitor of the Caldari State in some live event arc I was never around for.

Kirjuun doesn't mean a familymember precisely, no, but there is an essence of 'family' in close co-worker relationships in the State, which is what I was trying to allude to.

Guri is obviously derived from the Japanese words 'gumi' which refers to a gang. It is usually referred to  solely in the case of those in organised crime, although the flavour of it is closer to the bosozoku gangs who tend to DO a lot of criminal shit but aren't criminal as their raison d'etre.

-hnolku - totally right.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2013, 15:59 »

Kirjuun doesn't mean a familymember precisely, no, but there is an essence of 'family' in close co-worker relationships in the State, which is what I was trying to allude to.

Guri is obviously derived from the Japanese words 'gumi' which refers to a gang. It is usually referred to  solely in the case of those in organised crime, although the flavour of it is closer to the bosozoku gangs who tend to DO a lot of criminal shit but aren't criminal as their raison d'etre.

-hnolku - totally right.

I fuckin love raisins.

Anyways, yeah I see where you're coming from with the rest of it.

JMadFour

• Civire/Brutor halfbreed
  • Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2013, 16:36 »

-haan = Citizen (male)

-suuolo = Friend

-hnolku = Criminal
-baka = Idiot/Fool
-tyuui = Scum

hah, this I love.

why?

Cause Excalibur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOUdopw2k3M

anyhow, thanks everyone for the explanations, makes things a lot clearer for me.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 Aug 2013, 16:47 »

Not a problem at all! If you want anymore help with Caldari Faction RP, please feel free to  drop me a PM here, an Evemail in game or just grab me for a chat.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2013, 03:40 »

-haan = Citizen (male)

I'm part of Stitcher's hipster lonetrek camp on how Napanii should be, wherein Haan is gender neutral and singular, and haani is plural, with the reasoning that a society like the caldari state doesn't seem like one that would place emphasis on gender in that regard.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 02 Aug 2013, 05:59 »

There's many ways to read it, with regards to Caldari gender differentiation. Frigid homeworld, all in. Or, frigid homeworld, keep the women at home so we can guarantee that the childbearers will not succumb to the cold. If we let them work, the survival of the species is doomed. With the 'survival of the fittest' angle, one can easily argue women should not work (in pre-industrial Caldari ofc) because that means the domestic life could not be supported. It's why many women are stuck in the home in deprived parts of the world; a rough environment (both climatically, scientifically, and economically) means that there must be a domestic support base otherwise the men will be coming home to nothing. Tangentially, I worked for an Indian NGO that aimed to give rural women their own set of skills to support the community; simply liberating them would result in a societal collapse in those places.

I presume that's why the Gallente were able to espouse liberty and equality; they could afford it, because their homeworld was comfortable in all senses.

That's just one idea, just to challenge the 'hipster lonetrek camp', but I wouldn't parade it around as absolute truth or anything. Modern Caldari might be different, but for some reason the Caldari are written to have not sociologically evolved from their Stone Age. Who knows why.

"We have hundreds of worlds, over a thousand stations, and the most advanced technology in New Eden. No longer do we need to continue living as our ancestors did!"
"Lolnope"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2013, 06:11 »

-haan = Citizen (male)

I'm part of Stitcher's hipster lonetrek camp on how Napanii should be, wherein Haan is gender neutral and singular, and haani is plural, with the reasoning that a society like the caldari state doesn't seem like one that would place emphasis on gender in that regard.

I'm not sure 'hipster lonetrek camp' is quite the most flattering way to describe it. :P

That said, when I started RPing in EVE I'm pretty sure that it was used as a singular/plural thing rather than gender. I'm not sure when the change happened. For a supposedly collectivist society I'm not sure using it as a gender suffix makes as much sense as quantity would, though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2013, 07:11 »

my thought towards an in character explanation for it was that when a woman was pregnant it be cutesy/flattering/etc to refer to her in the plural, (her+child), and it just evolved from that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2013, 09:22 »

Modern Caldari might be different, but for some reason the Caldari are written to have not sociologically evolved from their Stone Age. Who knows why.

In fact, it's quite easy to identify some major changes in Caldari history in PF. Simply because Caldari don't conform to our (post-)modern inclination and sensitivities to what we consider as 'sociologically evolved' doesn't mean they didn't change from the social order of their Stone Age. The problem here is the use of 'evolved' in a normative sense and presupposing that everything should be measured by our standards.

The haan/haani distinction as male/female seems to be in existence from one of the 2010 versions, given the Napaani Primer is dated such, still and no later updates are indicated. Interestingly, if gender/sex is uncertain the caldari default to the feminine form.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6