Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.  (Read 16809 times)

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
Re: Caldari Suffixes and phrases.
« Reply #30 on: 08 Aug 2013, 17:38 »

Frankly, the "haani" thing is the only real bugbear of mine. I'd LOVE to see it gone.

But, whether or not Napanii was INTENDED to be the uniform, unchanging language of the entire State doesn't mean it won't change and be subject to colloquialisms and dialects. Short of making it illegal to speak Napanii in anything other than a grammatical way, which would be hideously impractical, you just can't prevent that from happening.

I do think maybe we should take the primer and improve on it some, though. The language has been sitting stagnant for a while and needs new words for things like "Sleeper", "wormhole", "DUST trooper" and so on. Plus things like colours.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #31 on: 08 Aug 2013, 21:57 »

And love please. The Caldari do have a concept for love.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 08 Aug 2013, 22:52 »

Oh come on, the fun part is making up your own endearments. :)

Stitcher

• Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #33 on: 09 Aug 2013, 02:25 »

Romantic love would be "Rakk". "Rakkaan"  would be "beloved" and "Rakkai" is "most loved"

I guess maybe we also need words for familial love, "I love this ice cream" and bromance.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2013, 02:28 by Stitcher »

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #34 on: 09 Aug 2013, 03:31 »

Romantic love would be "Rakk". "Rakkaan"  would be "beloved" and "Rakkai" is "most loved"

Caldari love involves annoying pterodactyl things that spawn from a vagina-faced monster?

Gesakaarin

« Reply #35 on: 09 Aug 2013, 04:26 »

Caldari love involves annoying pterodactyl things that spawn from a vagina-faced monster?

I always did have a theory that the reason for the Caldari tube child program was due to the penchant of Deteis women to kill their mates after fertilization and then use the bodies of the male as a source of nourishment and sustenance for their broodspawn.

So I guess when a Deteis lady says, "I love you" what it really means is, "I want to lay my eggs inside your corpse"?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #36 on: 09 Aug 2013, 05:39 »

Notable that saying "I love you" directly to somebody is considered a very Western/American thing in cultures outside of the West.

Stitcher

• Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #37 on: 09 Aug 2013, 06:06 »

To do so in public, certainly. In private...

well, I maintain that Caldari capsuleers tend to get some of the harsh angles knocked off them just by rubbing shoulders with fellow Empyreans. When you're surrounded by happy-go-lucky Intaki or whatever on a daily basis, then your only options for coping are to either mellow out, or go full Diana Kim.

Never go full Diana Kim.

Anslol

« Reply #38 on: 09 Aug 2013, 06:50 »

Bromance should be 'ansieter.' Clearly.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #39 on: 09 Aug 2013, 07:32 »

Notable that saying "I love you" directly to somebody is considered a very Western/American thing in cultures outside of the West.

that's less that other cultures languages don't say it, and more that, most cultures languages, have different words for familial love, romantic love, friendship, liking something, etc.

For instance, in hebrew, ahavah (אהבה), is the word for romantic/intimate/familial love, and  chesed (חסד), is the word for...I suppose the best way to translate it would be 'loving kindness'.

For another example, in Greek, there is, Agapê (love, charity), Philia (friendship, love), and Storgê (natural affection).

The fact that the English language rolls all these ideas and concepts into one word, 'love' is really something unique to the English language.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #40 on: 09 Aug 2013, 07:56 »

I don't see why the Caldari would not make a distinction between men and women, and have words for that.

Since the Caldari are the faction where homophobia is well established in the PF, as a part of Caldari culture and society. Look at all those exiled homosexual ex-navy officers in the Guristas and other places.

Man, woman. and idealised concepts of what their roles are in society.
\o/

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
« Reply #41 on: 09 Aug 2013, 08:03 »

I don't see why the Caldari would not make a distinction between men and women, and have words for that.

Since the Caldari are the faction where homophobia is well established in the PF, as a part of Caldari culture and society. Look at all those exiled homosexual ex-navy officers in the Guristas and other places.

The homophobia isn't a gender thing 'man should not lie with man' style though. It's a 'how dare that unpatriotic homosexual not breed and expand our workforce' thing. Right?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #42 on: 09 Aug 2013, 08:08 »

The homophobia isn't a gender thing 'man should not lie with man' style though. It's a 'how dare that unpatriotic homosexual not breed and expand our workforce' thing. Right?

I don't know.

Since there is clearly a big homophobic element to Caldari culture, then there are obviously societal expectations as to how men and women should behave.

And societal expectations, can be laid onto someone through use of language.

E.g. saying "Lieutenant" to someone, reminds them of their Rank, and the expectations of Duty that society expects of them.

So, -haan referring to a man citizen and -haani to a woman citizen, is a subtle reminder to them, of the expectations of society.

No ?
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #43 on: 09 Aug 2013, 08:11 »

What Jianni said was my thought, for one, and I think for two, is that its possible they are anti-gay as a way to be Anti-Gallente. Similar to how certain groups have decried the anti-gay 'propaganda' laws in Russia as being a way for the Russian government to try to distance themselves from American/western culture.

I think napanii likely would have words to make a distinction between man and woman, I just don't think citizen would be one of the words they draw the distinction using, and especially since, as stitcher pointed out, '-haani', isn't even grammatically correct, when compared to the rest of the language.

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Anslol

« Reply #44 on: 09 Aug 2013, 08:15 »

I'm with Louella. Grammatical error aside, I don't think gender neutrality has a place in the State given the PF that's available. If homosexuality is kinda looked bad at, why would gender-queer individuals be looked at any better, let alone have vernacular to help them fit in?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6