Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that ectoplasm (pod goo) is illegal in all empire space except the Minmatar Republic?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Please convince me not to become a pirate...  (Read 10660 times)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
Re: Please convince me not to become a pirate...
« Reply #45 on: 26 May 2010, 11:09 »

whether piracy actually is profitable (queue Veto members for input).

It isn't very profitable, but it is very fun. Most of us make the isk by doing things like exploration, etc, when we're NOT yarring our faces off. Admittedly, sometimes you get a nice ransom - and that certainly helps ^^

That's because you're still learning and spend a lot of time playing as your alt... when we batter you into shape completely you'll see that piracy is a good source of income when you dedicate the time to it.

Vieve

« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2010, 11:38 »

I'm of the opinion that I'd need to be competent (by my definitions) before I could even consider being a pirate.    I'm pretty sure I could rock a lace-up front corset and all, but could I even walk in those boots?  I don't think so!  And parrots?  Those loud fuckers ... did I ever tell y'all about the time one attacked me and I had to fight it off with a skillet?  No?  Well, I did, and I've got scars, and...

...yeah.  In all seriousness, even if I believed I was competent enough PvPwise (and had the time/ability to do it properly, like being in fleets and on Vent and shit), I'd have to do some hardcore storywork before any of my characters could even consider piracy as a profession1.

Here's where I get around to saying -- Senn, the bits of the backstory you've shown us do seem conducive to someone who'd go pirate for the perceived easy money.  If you agree, and you think you'd enjoy it, go for it! 

1Even if Vieve and Kyoko were actually having pyjama parties. 

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2010, 11:46 »

I'm of the opinion that I'd need to be competent (by my definitions) before I could even consider being a pirate.    I'm pretty sure I could rock a lace-up front corset and all, but could I even walk in those boots? 

Unlike the song, the purpose of those boots isn't "walking," exactly. >.>

And Senn seems to have taken Naka's advice. \o/

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2010, 13:10 »

That's because you're still learning and spend a lot of time playing as your alt... when we batter you into shape completely you'll see that piracy is a good source of income when you dedicate the time to it.

Indulge me, if you please.  Could we define a 'good source of income' - perhaps with a suggested figure, or comparison to other methods of generating revenue?  Time investment vs reward perhaps?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2010, 13:16 »

I don't know their exact numbers, but I do know that when I got nabbed by a veto squad last (like years ago :P ) it only took them about 7 minutes and they made 80mil on the ransom to save me from having to spend 150mil to replace the ship.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 26 May 2010, 13:27 »

I don't know their exact numbers, but I do know that when I got nabbed by a veto squad last (like years ago :P ) it only took them about 7 minutes and they made 80mil on the ransom to save me from having to spend 150mil to replace the ship.

Good example. How many pilots were involved in the squad (for division of profit)? How many other ransoms/loot proceeds did the group receive during that roam, and how long did the roam last?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2010, 13:29 »

I can't answer the second two questions, but there were 6 of them.

Though again, as we started discussing in the other thread that you stopped responding to, if the individual is having fun I don't see what diff it makes how much isk they made.

Tbh, I actually had a blast evading them before they got me. And even then it was a fun little bit of RP with the gangleader as we negotiated the ransom.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2010, 13:43 »

I can't answer the second two questions, but there were 6 of them.

Though again, as we started discussing in the other thread that you stopped responding to, if the individual is having fun I don't see what diff it makes how much isk they made.

Tbh, I actually had a blast evading them before they got me. And even then it was a fun little bit of RP with the gangleader as we negotiated the ransom.

I've got to gather the energy to continue responding to that other thread - I accept that there still is material to cover. Those that know me know that I have a habit of starting more things than I finish... :lol:

Your points are correct. The matter I am specifically meaning to address here is notions of how good a way this is to make isk.  Opportunity to make money is not a motivating factor to choose piracy as a way of playing, imo.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2010, 13:45 »

The matter I am specifically meaning to address here is notions of how good a way this is to make isk.  Opportunity to make money is not a motivating factor to choose piracy as a way of playing, imo.

Agreed -- but can it make enough money to sustain the playstyle? That's the real question I ask myself.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2010, 13:47 »

The matter I am specifically meaning to address here is notions of how good a way this is to make isk.  Opportunity to make money is not a motivating factor to choose piracy as a way of playing, imo.

Agreed -- but can it make enough money to sustain the playstyle? That's the real question I ask myself.

It definitely 'can'.  This begs the question - how good do you need to be, how much financial investment is required, whether you need to and who you need to work with to succeed, and how much time you need to invest on average, must you join an existing group or can you start de novo?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2010, 13:51 »

From what I've gleaned: Solo you can't really do well enough to sustain it. Most solo-gank/ransomers seem to use missions or ratting to fund their piracy, much like many nullsec alliances use missions/ratting/industry alts to fund their PvP.

Though if you have good groups -- not even big ones, 4-8 usually works great from what I've seen from VETO, and from my times rampaging through ASCN space in nullsec back in my True core days -- you can hit pretty much any target you want on a whim, so you don't spend anywhere near as much time on the hunt as you do on the "Give me all of your isk or we blow up your ship and use the contents for income".

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2010, 14:01 »

From what I've gleaned: Solo you can't really do well enough to sustain it. Most solo-gank/ransomers seem to use missions or ratting to fund their piracy, much like many nullsec alliances use missions/ratting/industry alts to fund their PvP.

Though if you have good groups -- not even big ones, 4-8 usually works great from what I've seen from VETO, and from my times rampaging through ASCN space in nullsec back in my True core days -- you can hit pretty much any target you want on a whim, so you don't spend anywhere near as much time on the hunt as you do on the "Give me all of your isk or we blow up your ship and use the contents for income".

I respect what you are saying, but I must comment that the EvE piracy experience has changed dramatically since the days ASCN was around, mainly in that the general ability of the population has increased.  What of recent pirating experiences?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2010, 14:02 »

More skillpoints != More ability.

It really hasn't changed.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 26 May 2010, 14:11 »

I have a lot of friends involved in piracy, and they claim frequently that it's changed for a number of reasons (factional warfare roaming fleets / blogs, nihilism rather than ransoming, etc.)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 26 May 2010, 14:28 »

Holy crap it's a GoGo.

Indeed it is!

Oh, and Veroooooone.. you still have to answer me in that other thread. The women of Eve are dying to know about your penis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5