Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Please convince me not to become a pirate...  (Read 10643 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Please convince me not to become a pirate...
« on: 20 May 2010, 06:56 »

Well, much fun as I've had buzzing around in these forums, I've been having a lot more fun tiptoeing my way through low and nullsec in-game. I'm nearly at 2mil SP, had my first tastes of PvP (which were miserable failures, but still enjoyable... came close to killing a Tristan yesterday... damn drones and their thermal damage :bash:), and now mining and missioning just look boring by comparison.

Trouble is, there seems to only be a limited number of ways to sate your bloodlust in EVE. While the FW and wardec PvP systems sound relatively fun, I'm now having to fight off the pang in the back of my mind telling me that rather than waiting for the bounty hunter system to become more effective, my lone-wolf aggression should be aimed at the art of the ransom.

I've looked over the pros and cons, understood the aggression timer and security loss systems, know the risks of being relegated to lowsec and being at odds with every other pilot in the game. Please, someone steer me back towards the light and tell me why this is a bad decision. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: Please convince me not to become a pirate...
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 07:20 »

Join Nation instead. XD

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 07:26 »

That's the opposite of helping! :O

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 07:27 »

As long as you become a pirate who actually behaves like a bloody murderer, I'd be okay with it :P

Mazca

• Clonejack
  • Best Regards
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2010, 07:51 »

honor ransom always... now GO

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2010, 07:55 »

If you want to fly solo and do PVP, then piracy is the way to go. As much as I hate them, I recognize the importance of pirates to the game. The are the black to my white, so to speak. I mean, without the Sith, would the Jedi be as cool?

There is an allure to being the bad guy, too. When I did pen and paper role playing, I was usually the Dungeon Master so I got to play the villain most of the time. Depending on your personality you can really chew some scenery in RP-ing ne'er-do-wells.

Something to consider about going it alone though: the most effective pirates hunt in groups. There are no shortage of pirate corps, just check the recruitment forum on the Eve-O web site and you'll find plenty.

And finally, if you'd like PVP with a moral compass, however, you might look for an anti-pirate corp. Not to turn this into a recruitment ad, but my combat pilots get daily PVP experience going after the scum of the universe.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2010, 07:58 »

And this is why I prefer null-sec. You can still pirate there, it's just harder in some ways, easier in others. ...or do a bit of both. :P

Not the only way to have a go at the more solo playstyle, but it's easier to manage than doing the whole wars thing. FW would be decent for it really.

Also yes, WTB better bounty hunting system.  
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2010, 08:24 »

Why convince you not to be a pirate? They help keep the demand going that makes ISK for me!

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2010, 08:28 »

Bad boys gets all the girls.....enough said...

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2010, 08:44 »

I wish I had you people around when I was making all my life choices. <3

I mean, in terms of in-character stuff, a tube kid from a defunct growing facility, desperate for money, self-sufficient attitude, no real political ties... sounds like a pirate in the making to me. More like Big Chris from Lock, Stock. (Anyone? Guy Ritchie fans? <raises hand).

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2010, 08:57 »

2 mil SP? And *checks profile*... 1 month, 13 days. How much of the game have you experianced so far? Normally to get into a pirate corp that is in null-sec, you would need at least 10-15 mil SP at minimum just so you have enough combat, defensive, and all-around surivival skills (along with the experiance in gametime getting there) to have a chance of lasting out there. It would be a fair and conversative statement to say to take in what EVE has to offer in high and some low-sec until you got at least six months (up to a year) under your belt. Take it in a bit at a time.

Have you looked into the industry/research fields? Exploration with probes? Have you gotten to being able to fly battlecruisers or battleships and getting done L3-4 missions? PLEXs or COSMOS missions? Play the market? There is plenty of things to do without resorting to pirating, and those are to name of the few. When you do those, you'll have a better understanding of what type of corp you truly wish to be in as well.

Finally, if you haven't already, develop all the skills in the Learning branch. It may be boring on the offset as it doesn't give you new abilities or new ships to try out, but investing in them early on making the rate you learn everything else that much faster.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2010, 09:08 »

2 mil SP? And *checks profile*... 1 month, 13 days. How much of the game have you experianced so far? Normally to get into a pirate corp that is in null-sec, you would need at least 10-15 mil SP at minimum just so you have enough combat, defensive, and all-around surivival skills (along with the experiance in gametime getting there) to have a chance of lasting out there. It would be a fair and conversative statement to say to take in what EVE has to offer in high and some low-sec until you got at least six months (up to a year) under your belt. Take it in a bit at a time.

Have you looked into the industry/research fields? Exploration with probes? Have you gotten to being able to fly battlecruisers or battleships and getting done L3-4 missions? PLEXs or COSMOS missions? Play the market? There is plenty of things to do without resorting to pirating, and those are to name of the few. When you do those, you'll have a better understanding of what type of corp you truly wish to be in as well.

Finally, if you haven't already, develop all the skills in the Learning branch. It may be boring on the offset as it doesn't give you new abilities or new ships to try out, but investing in them early on making the rate you learn everything else that much faster.

Well, I got all my learning skulls up to rank 3, which has a payoff - if I remember correctly - of a few months, rather than rank 5 which pays off in one year. I've skilled up to rank 4 and had great experiences with probing ships, made most of my money off of salvaging/hacking. Been through lowsec with my probing ship, learned some early Minmatar ships on the way...

What I'm getting at here is, I'm not suggesting I'm planning on becoming a pirate today. What I'm suggesting is that in preliminary reading through forums, guides, 101 videos, etc. piracy looks like an appealing option. I'm severely aware of my lack of SP and experience flying, hence why I'm still running missions and stacking ISK for the road ahead. Thus far, the most fun I've had is in the exploration field, and my brief forays into low and null. I'm only extrapolating.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2010, 09:11 »

Don't let the naysayers fool you: even at this point, you have ways to be useful to a corp, though not everyone will take you. Find one that accepts newer pilots and will help you learn the Ways of the Yarr via scouting, tackling, EWAR, etc.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2010, 09:58 »

Don't let the naysayers fool you: even at this point, you have ways to be useful to a corp, though not everyone will take you. Find one that accepts newer pilots and will help you learn the Ways of the Yarr via scouting, tackling, EWAR, etc.

Sounds like one of those self achievment courses....

Bottomline, this i eve. Do whatever you like. I know several players that have gone to nullsec very early on and with very low sp. Of course they had it hard and had to struggle for abit bu they still found it fun.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2010, 10:38 »

Piracy is so cliche these days.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5