Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Please convince me not to become a pirate...  (Read 10635 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
Re: Please convince me not to become a pirate...
« Reply #60 on: 27 May 2010, 05:57 »

Well, much fun as I've had buzzing around in these forums, I've been having a lot more fun tiptoeing my way through low and nullsec in-game. I'm nearly at 2mil SP, had my first tastes of PvP (which were miserable failures, but still enjoyable... came close to killing a Tristan yesterday... damn drones and their thermal damage :bash:), and now mining and missioning just look boring by comparison.

Trouble is, there seems to only be a limited number of ways to sate your bloodlust in EVE. While the FW and wardec PvP systems sound relatively fun, I'm now having to fight off the pang in the back of my mind telling me that rather than waiting for the bounty hunter system to become more effective, my lone-wolf aggression should be aimed at the art of the ransom.

I've looked over the pros and cons, understood the aggression timer and security loss systems, know the risks of being relegated to lowsec and being at odds with every other pilot in the game. Please, someone steer me back towards the light and tell me why this is a bad decision. >>

Don't do it yet.

In my pre-VETO/PRETA days, the corp I was in was in two halves - one which carebeared it up in Providence under CVA, and one half that went and yarred in Molden Heath.  I know some people disagree with me, and it was the subject of a few heated debates in GF, but I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't go into piracy until you've got about six months under your belt, three or four at minimum.  It sucks for making money most of the time (sure there are exceptions, but it's unreliable at best), and when you're starting out, you'll go through ships fast.

Is it a blast?  Hell yeah.  But it's not for the fresh-out-of-the-academy.  Have you thought about somewhere like Eve Uni?  I've never dealt with them, but you hear plenty of good things, and I seem to recall they give you free frigates and such to take a little of the financial strain off.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #61 on: 27 May 2010, 07:34 »

In my pre-VETO/PRETA days, the corp I was in was in two halves - one which carebeared it up in Providence under CVA, and one half that went and yarred in Molden Heath.  I know some people disagree with me, and it was the subject of a few heated debates in GF, but I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't go into piracy until you've got about six months under your belt, three or four at minimum.  It sucks for making money most of the time (sure there are exceptions, but it's unreliable at best), and when you're starting out, you'll go through ships fast.

Is it a blast?  Hell yeah.  But it's not for the fresh-out-of-the-academy.  Have you thought about somewhere like Eve Uni?  I've never dealt with them, but you hear plenty of good things, and I seem to recall they give you free frigates and such to take a little of the financial strain off.

I do partly agree with the sentiment, but if you plan on only using frigates and the occasional cruiser (I would advice frigates really - they're cheap as salad, they really teach you the basic principles of piracy and you can also be useful in a gang with more experienced players/characters, if you end up in one). Flying anything more substantial does take some skill points and not the least some actual skill because losing them does hurt more.

Depending on your temperament, just plunging head first into it and going out there trying can be the best way to learn and become a mean pirate. I've seen noobs just two weeks out of chargen (the old chargen too, mind you) turn into frankly intimidating things very quickly by doing exactly that. Myself.. I took a bit more time, but mostly because I hadn't homed in on a decent way to earn ISK to recoup losses. I took a lot more time before getting into a battleship and pirating (frankly because I believe you ain't really flying a battleship unless you got some basic skills maxed out when you jump into one - you're just flying a half-powered, half-used chunk of metal).
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 07:36 by GoGo Yubari »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #62 on: 27 May 2010, 07:35 »

Double post, sorry!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #63 on: 27 May 2010, 07:41 »

EVE UNI will teach you bad habits that will cause you trouble for a long time. Stay away. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]