Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Please convince me not to become a pirate...  (Read 10641 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Please convince me not to become a pirate...
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2010, 07:56 »

If this thread keeps up, I'll end up going back to a PvP playstyle myself. >.<

Oh, what've I done. :O

In all fairness, if I were a more market-savvy man, I would probably see the excitement in playing the economy, or going into heavy industry. Either way, you get to crush your opposition if you use your head. I'm just slightly better at scavenging and combat.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2010, 10:49 »

Well, they aren't mutually exclusive. (Paging Verone)

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2010, 23:30 »

Remember, just because you go red flashy and make other people kerplode, it doesn't necessarily make you a 'pirate'. Your motivations will determine this.

'Piracy' is often an over-used generalized term used by people who refuse to acknowledge they have political enemies or those who aren't concerned with rp immersion.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2010, 00:15 »

Just from the topic name I can tell you really want to be a pirate.

Unfortunatly there is no real reason for you not to be one. There are some great corps out there for you to join, and from what I have heard it is a great lifesyle to lead.

Just remember that small scale PvP in low sec is NOT the same as being a pirate. Both take place in low sec and involve going flashy, but the motivations driving the combat are different. There are many corps and alliances who classify themselves as PvP corps which opperate in low sec, which dont view themselves as "pirates", just people looking for some Pew Pew.

If you want YAAAR my advice would be to look into the genuine corps which classify themselves as true pirates.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 04:07 by Graanvlokkie »

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2010, 03:10 »

Don't be a pirate because:

- Investment/Reward: The amount of time you invest in piracy (hunting/manoeuvering) versus the time you spend in combat that you can 'win' (destroy ships) and gain something (loot) is skewed.  It is a terrible investment of your RL.  Imagine spending an hour hunting and only having 1-2 minutes of glee, with 4-5 'near misses' as people use countermeasures.  Some people find that worthwhile, I would rather enjoy a higher % of my invested time.

- Income security: I don't have the RL isk to invest in an alt, and don't like bleeding isk for GTCs (personal preference). Sure, you could run low sec missions, npc or live off loot (amongst other protection rackets you might want to set up), but income is an issue on your mind. An active pirate may expect to have higher living expenses than other professions.

- Transferability: One day you'll get bored of piracy. It may take some time to become transferable (reputation, security status), and then to PVP corps (which, if you're bored of piracy, is essentially the same thing).

- [mod]Please do not insult other players' playstyles[/mod].

- Intellectual baseness: If spreading misery is your aim, [mod]Please do not insult other players' playstyles [/mod].  A pirate can only do 'so much'.  An evil mastermind in a 'legit' looking corporation with a penchant for engaging in skulduggery (while covering it up with impressive PR) may be more appealing, particularly if your recruitment process involves checking how long they can tolerate holding a little finger in a vat of acid, just for kicks.  Basically being evil without 'announcing it to the world' as 'just another pirate corp'.  The pirate corp route has been run again and again, don't stick to stereotypes - create a new kind of evil.

Anyway, I hope you consider these options.

« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 17:14 by Ciarente »

Nakatre Read

• Resident Angel
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2010, 05:10 »

Don't be a pirate, be a criminal instead.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2010, 10:04 »

The amount of time you invest in piracy (hunting/manoeuvering) versus the time you spend in combat that you can 'win' (destroy ships) and gain something (loot) is skewed.  It is a terrible investment of your RL

I'm sorry, but this is crap.

If you're having fun -- how can one claim it is a terrible investment?

Let's face it, video games are entirely about wasting time. That's why we play them. We have time we want to waste in a way we enjoy.

If you're having fun being a pirate/killer/miner/whatever then by all means do so.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2010, 10:25 »

The amount of time you invest in piracy (hunting/manoeuvering) versus the time you spend in combat that you can 'win' (destroy ships) and gain something (loot) is skewed.  It is a terrible investment of your RL

I'm sorry, but this is crap.

If you're having fun -- how can one claim it is a terrible investment?

Let's face it, video games are entirely about wasting time. That's why we play them. We have time we want to waste in a way we enjoy.

If you're having fun being a pirate/killer/miner/whatever then by all means do so.

It's crap from the point of view of a veteran pirate? I'm not surprised.

I must say it does come down to what people find fun.  I don't find piracy fun because I find it a poor investment of my time (i.e. reward vs  time investment).  I don't feel I'm achieving anything during the 'search time'.  Naturally, that's an opinion. Some people enjoy spending time roaming looking for viable targets.  I interpret the reward in piracy to be the end result - kills and terror.

I repeat - it's an opinion.  Trade on the other hand, from my point of view, can be extremely efficient time investment - every single click is creating a measurable, predicatable positive effect on your isk if you know what you are doing, which you can then use for your nefarious designs.  Not a single unproductive minute, with a dependable reward-time investment.  I did get tired of 'patrols' that resulted in 15-20 jumps and 1 'worthless' kill, but that may have been partly a factor of my ROE.  The kill itself would net loot value that could be recouped in a fraction of the time through other means...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2010, 10:39 »

Don't be a pirate, be a criminal instead.

Naka, what sorts of things do you recommend in that vein? I can think of a few but I'm interested in the perspective of somebody who pursues it more regularly. :)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2010, 10:50 »

It's crap from the point of view of a veteran pirate? I'm not surprised.

I should qualify the statement. It's not the statement that you feel it's a waste of time that is crap. It's a statement that it's a waste of time for people that is crap. If one finds it quite enjoyable, then that is not a waste of their time.

To make a corollary -- I consider mining to be a waste of time. However I don't tell people that it's bad use of their RL time simply because I think it's boring as hell.

Does that make sense?

I think what we have here is primarily I took to disagreement with the way you put the idea forth, not the idea itself.

I must say it does come down to what people find fun.  I don't find piracy fun because I find it a poor investment of my time (i.e. reward vs  time investment).  I don't feel I'm achieving anything during the 'search time'.  Naturally, that's an opinion. Some people enjoy spending time roaming looking for viable targets.  I interpret the reward in piracy to be the end result - kills and terror.

That's just it though. For some of us, the "Hunt" is the part that's fun. The kill is easy. You go into the fight knowing you will get the kill. It's stalking your prey that is the real enjoying factor -- and this I believe is where the difference comes in.

Shooting a deer isn't fun. It's really easy to do and anyone with even the most basic firearm skill can do it. The prep work, the hunt, the stalking -- that's why Hunting is fun.

I repeat - it's an opinion.  Trade on the other hand, from my point of view, can be extremely efficient time investment - every single click is creating a measurable, predicatable positive effect on your isk if you know what you are doing, which you can then use for your nefarious designs.  Not a single unproductive minute, with a dependable reward-time investment.  I did get tired of 'patrols' that resulted in 15-20 jumps and 1 'worthless' kill, but that may have been partly a factor of my ROE.  The kill itself would net loot value that could be recouped in a fraction of the time through other means...

...but is it fun? That's the question.

Sure, it's a more efficient way to make isk, but is that why you play the game? Just to make isk?

That's what I was disagreeing with, btw, I figured it out. I was disagreeing with the idea that if you're not making isk every time you do anything you're not efficiently using your RL time.

I think that is crap, and I also think that is something that burns people out on EVE.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2010, 11:00 »

Quote from: Lillith Blackheart

...but is it fun? That's the question.

Sure, it's a more efficient way to make isk, but is that why you play the game? Just to make isk?

That's what I was disagreeing with, btw, I figured it out. I was disagreeing with the idea that if you're not making isk every time you do anything you're not efficiently using your RL time.

I think that is crap, and I also think that is something that burns people out on EVE.

I agree with the other bits of your posts, I think we understand each other.

I think it would be good to take this to a different thread as we're risking a derail here  8)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2010, 12:53 »

Actually, I can tell you why I've never been a pirate (though Naqam might count. honestly :P) - I want to have it as an option if I get tired of other stuff. Save some of the more interesting gameplay in case I need something new.

OFC, 7 years in and it hasn't gotten to that point yet.  :D

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2010, 04:57 »

Piracy is so cliche these days.

So is breathing but you don't see people hatin'.  8)

The only reason not to go pirate in my opinion is if you are a bit unsure about the RP angle you want to take in Eve. You could say that's how I was at the start of my stint in the game, but the reason I came to Eve in the first place was to be a space pirate so there really was no option for me. It was a known factor even before I knew anything at all about my character.

Later on I would realize that my character would now forever be tainted with the history of piracy. That's not really all that bad because I've kind of made that my thing, unless you would happen to want to take your character in some wildly different RP direction. In that case, a history of piracy might kinda soil your attempts.

This is related to one of my pet peeves in Eve, roleplaying-wise. People fly from one thing to the other with such alarming ADHD abandon that the in-game histories of some folks really don't make any sense at all. It grates on my suspension of disbelief. So, if you're gonna be one of those dudes... consider avoiding piracy for now. It's easier to go from good guy to pirate than the other way around anyway.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2010, 06:51 »

Holy crap it's a GoGo.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #44 on: 26 May 2010, 11:07 »

Well, they aren't mutually exclusive. (Paging Verone)

:bear:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5