Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: A trend and a discussion.  (Read 16909 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: A trend and a discussion.
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2010, 15:14 »

Oh and Sansha followers.

Welcome to the shitstorm of what it means to be an Amarrian loyalist.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2010, 15:16 »

I'm not even a Sansha follower -- but I think that co-opting a general RP channel for a particular side is bad mojo OOCly.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2010, 15:21 »

Look, I consider The Summit 'RP-light'

It's purpose is clearly OOC, no way everyone in there would regularly go along. It is a meeting place for RP-ers to get together IC but its purpose (as far as I'm concerned) is clearly OOC.

Doing RP-heavy stuff like an actual conference there would be a big no-no for me. Doing RP heavy stuff would require mutes and bans for it to make sense.

Just keep it RP light in there is my advice.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2010, 15:44 »

There has to be a separate channel for the Conference. During the Summit was a bad decision from the start. A really bad decision.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2010, 15:54 »

There has to be a separate channel for the Conference. During the Summit was a bad decision from the start. A really bad decision.
Q to the F to the E.

In the meantime, maybe we really do need more RP channels. I should ponder this.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2010, 15:58 »

Just my 2 cents and not meant to be hyper-critical or anything.

You admit you understand the in character reason for something happening in the in character channel, but want the other people to act out of character because it harshes your mellow.

I think you misunderstand. I understand the in character reason for something happening in the channel, I feel the problem is not that they reacted in character, I think the fact that moderation is in character is a problem on a channel that was initially designed all those years ago as the connective-point to wide-band RP.

I don't think you can champion an unpopular cause and then be hurt that it makes you unpopular.

This is the point though. My character is championing an unpopular cause, so I should be unpopular. That is not the problem. The problem is that the Pro-Sansha groups are being forced to RP only within the Pro-Sansha groups. You are not unpopular with like-minds. It doesn't work that way. This is why we want to go to the General RP room. We want to RP where our ideas are unpopular. The point of our characters at this point is we are the bad guys being the bad guys with a bunch of other bad guys is not fun. We can have that kind of circle jerk without anyone else's help -- but we're here to roleplay, not stroke our own egos.

Look at what happened to Seri's family. The Nation is up to really not nice stuff. I try not to make too many real-world comparisons, but Sansha supporters in most circles are going to be a bit like Nazi's showing up at a bar mitzfah.

Which is as it should be, neh? However does that mean that we shouldn't get to play with anyone anymore? This is the crux of the discussion.

I would suggest all the Sansha RPers need to make their own equivalent of The Summit and do their thing there. You've joined the counterculture and set yourself apart from the main of society. There are some steep consequences that go along with that.

We have one, however that does not change the problem one iota. What is the fun of being the bad guy when you get to have no good guys?

Oh and Sansha followers.

I feel that you are mistaken, this is actually quite the opposite problem, in the sense that we are trying our hardest to engage other people and they are going about systemmatically trying to halt our ability to do that. This would in fact be the reverse of the shitstorm of what it means to be an Amarrian loyalist, from my perspective.

Look, if I'm at a public park and other people are there too and we can all get along then there isn't a problem. But if I insert myself into your group and become disruptive, I can expect a park ranger to come along put me out. Giving false intel and going on and on about Nation is Unity is being disruptive.

Actually, if you're in a public park and having your little party, and I happen to also be at the park having my little party, and you don't like the people that are in my party and complain, you can expect the park ranger to pat you on the head and go on about his business, which is primarily what is being discussed here.

The truth of the matter is that there is a war on between Nation and the rest of the universe. Sides are being taken and lines are being drawn. It's not an environment that is conducive to a neutral space.

This does not mean neutral spaces suddenly cease to exist. While Saxon or yourself may have issue with it, others would have no issue with being in the same room with a member of the enemy, and may well use it to what they feel is their advantage -- in fact many of those that engage Lillith do so with express purpose to better understand their enemies so that they can feel they can combat them more readily.

I mean, really, Saxon is marshaling the IPI to prepare for a Titan to drop in Intaki. From all accounts he just saw 2 million of his cousins disappear in a single raid. Would he really saunter into a holo-bar and sit down for a round of virtual drinks with the people who are plotting to abduct his wife and children the first chance they get?  

The Summit isn't a bar. This would make sense for the Last Gate, this does not make sense for the Summit. I do not feel this is a valid comparison.

I just don't see how it makes any sense in character. And if we're going to do things purely for out of character friendships and camaraderie, I think there are other channels for that.

Yes, such as the Summit, which if I recall its description. . . .

The Summit is arguably the most popular and frequented roleplay channel. It regularly hosts a wide variety of personalities, drawn from across many of the organizations in New Eden. Conversation varies from day to day, and as it is basically something of a mirror of the Forum-based roleplay channel the Intergalactic Summit, there is often various topics being discussed.

Welcome to the Summit. This comm channel is intended for discussions on the dealings of empires and corporations. Diplomacy and debate are the suggested topics, psychotic ramblings and practices that do not belong in public should remain in other channels.
      Thank you and enjoy.

Seems pretty fitting for the goals of what you would be looking for as an antagonist.

Ashar co-opted the channel's name recognition to hold the Conference there. the conference is designed to stop Nation. This was ashar's decision, and at the start of this, i requested that he make it a different channel to isolate problems.

people chattering in the channel between Conference sessions still influence the Conference. People are becoming angry at nation supporters in the channel, and are threatening to stop participating in the Conference because of constant streams of propaganda and "Nation is Unity" crap.

I think you may have just discovered one source of the problem. It's not in the second paragraph by the by.

The Sansha arc has divided the capsuleer community. IC tensions are higher than at any other point in the game's history, with real hatred being generated.

Nation supporters need to consider the fact that nobody actually likes them. And the more they actually do things that hurt everyone else in the game universe, then they will continue to be hated.

The point is that that is what we want. However what everyone seems to continue to be able to miss is that if we don't have a venue to play with you people then we have no way for this to occur.

If you pee in the public pool, don't be surprised if you are not allowed back in the water.

Casiella already answered this, and answered it clearly. No one has pissed in the pool here, we just happened to be playing Marco Polo and they were having trouble catching us, or alternatively Casiella's description - we were on the other team of Water Polo or Water Volleyball, and they kicked us out of the pool.

Huge difference.

I want to add: Even with IC resources, sometimes considerations of what is good for the community (OOC) need to come first. Without a healthy community, the fidelity of the IC experience is going to be kinda irrelevant.

Right now we have a lot of potential new RPers floating around, with these events. We don't need to be showing them people getting banned from a general RP channel for the Faction they want to RP in.

And that's the crux. The Summit has long been coined as being a "general RP" room that is a central meeting point for the RP community. It is our connective corridor to be able to reach the rest of the larger community that our little sub-communities want to interact with. There is far more involved here than just the IC differentiations.

That is why I stated from the beginning this is a conundrum.

Q to the F to the E.

In the meantime, maybe we really do need more RP channels. I should ponder this.

I suggest it is not that there is a need for more, it's that the ones we have need to be redefined. If we are redefining what the Summit is then that needs to be fucking made clear, and something else needs to take the place that it previously stood, as that place is necessary for the health of the community.

If it is not changing its intended purpose and is not being redefined, then I suggest moderation no longer be considered an IC function and be only considered an OOC function for disruptive individuals.

Otherwise this will only end up being a problem again in the future.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2010, 16:04 »

But doesn't it make sense for specific classes of discussions to have their own place? That is, one sort is what many of us have always understood The Summit to be, sort of an analogue to the UN General Assembly, or at least the foyer to it. But another sort is Toxic Edge (assuming it still exists), and another sort is The Last Gate or Three Sisters or the other bar-type places, and I can envision still another sort for discussion on various technical bits. SYNEPublic is another good example.

But if the UN HQ had been used during the Cold War to host a conference on how to encourage the growth of democracy, I don't think the USSR and China would have been kicked out of the building.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2010, 16:20 »

It's a no brainer that the summit is going to be full of sansha sansha sansha.

Sansha events man. They're everywhere in game and on the forums.   Lots of new rpers coming in asking questions and getting their feet wet using this event to help them along the way.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2010, 16:30 »

the amarr comparison is reasonable to a point.

Amarr has been/still is painted as "Ebil" by short stories, novels etc.

So people go "boo!" and throw insults, using the worst things featured, to dismiss anything and everything you say. Ignoring/banning people from channels is part of it.

Which means, to have any RP other than being insulted all the time, regardless of what you say, then you don't RP with anyone other than people of similar outlook.

Which is what seems to be happening to Sansha now as well.
\o/

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2010, 16:32 »

So people go "boo!" and throw insults, using the worst things featured, to dismiss anything and everything you say. Ignoring/banning people from channels is part of it.

Which means, to have any RP other than being insulted all the time, regardless of what you say, then you don't RP with anyone other than people of similar outlook.

Then you obviously have a limited perception. Though the insults and whatnot are flung periodically, most oft what I receive is fairly interesting conversation. One of said conversations was recently posted on IGS.

We get the insults, sure. Not to the level you seem to suspect more, more the type that are flung by the caldari to the gallente and vice versa.

It is not the limit of the interaction.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2010, 16:42 »

Insults etc are one thing. Banning from neutral RP channels? As far as I know, Amarr RPers have never been banned from the summit for talking about being Amarr. IIRC the Summit was started by an Amarr RPer (using an alt corp, cause, you know, neutrality.)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2010, 17:04 »

That's why I said "to a point".
\o/

Vieve

« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2010, 18:29 »

Oh and Sansha followers.

I had a lovely time (well, Celeste did.  While Vieve's back, she ain't gonna be on the Summit) pointing out how Wizwax/Waxwiz/However one spells her name had likely spent her TLF career condemning the same thing the Sansha were doing.

Never really got a straight answer from her on that.  Maybe Celeste will need to have another chat with the dear creature.

Edit, because my fever-infested brain failed to let my fingers finish.

In my demented opinion, banning the Sansha supporters from the Summit could deprive everyone, particularly them, of entertainment.  Yes, please do bring down the ban hammer on 'lol RPers suxz0r'.  Likewise for people behaving like idiots.   Like OOC idiots, I mean.   Emoting one letter per line.  Echoing each other's emotes until dramatic effect turns into spamus absurdius.  Crap like that.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 18:40 by Vieve »

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2010, 18:56 »

wait, vieve is back?

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2010, 19:32 »

Yes. She is.  :)