Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: A trend and a discussion.  (Read 16900 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
A trend and a discussion.
« on: 18 May 2010, 09:36 »

First off, before I go any further, I would like to point out that this is not any intention of making anyone look bad or any such thing, I'm simply trying to bring forth a discussion of something and see what opinions are on it.

To the point:

The Summit is the main lifeline link that many of us have to the RP community as a whole. It is, as far as I am aware, the only "general RP" channel that exists that has any sustained community presence allowing for interaction. To many of us, this is our only real connective point to the rest of the RP community.

Recently during this live event, many of the Sansha sympathizers (myself included - for a month no less) have been getting muted in channel for completely valid In Character reasons.

However this causes a conundrum. By muting us in The Summit for in character purposes, this effectively blacklists us out of character, removing our connection to the RP community in any ability to communicate or roleplay.

We have effectively been told we don't get to play with people anymore.

Now again, from an in character standpoint nothing is really wrong with what was done.

Out Of Character, however. . . one must stop and question whether or not the In Character functional moderation of the channel should be allowed, as it causes many of us a significant problem in being able to RP at all outside of the singular Sansha RP channel.

This removes conflict entirely from our RP.

With no conflict there is little to keep one interested.

We have been, quite effectively, blacklisted from the community and told we can not play with everyone else.

What are other peoples' thoughts on this matter? Is this a fair tactic? Should this be accepted simply because it is In Character? Or is this effective blacklist something that should not be acceptable based on the nature of the RP Community Channels in game?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: A trend and a discussion.
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010, 09:39 »

What sort of IC reasons lead to someone getting muted / banned / whatever from an IC channel?

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2010, 09:40 »

What sort of IC reasons lead to someone getting muted / banned / whatever from an IC channel?

"Being a Sansha Sypmathizer".

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2010, 09:40 »

EVE System > Lillith Blackheart was muted by (REDACTED - this is not a witch hunt). Effective until 2010.06.08 11:33:46, Reason: "foolishness".

Specifically.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2010, 09:42 »

This is rather silly.  I mean, the live events are finally bringing in fresh meat rpers and now they're watching people get banned for roleplaying a certain faction.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2010, 09:44 »

This is rather silly.  I mean, the live events are finally bringing in fresh meat rpers and now they're watching people get banned for roleplaying a certain faction.

That's what I feared. Muting people because they RP as a particular fashion (assuming that's what has actually happened) seems like a bad idea.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2010, 09:49 »

Muting/banning from a channel like the Summit for these reasons is bad. Fully understand muting/banning from channels like SynPublic as that is for IC reasons in these cases but as you said Summit is the only real general rp chat in a sense.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 10:31 by Kaldor Mintat »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2010, 10:14 »

I'll have a talk with Some of the people involved about it.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2010, 10:19 »

I understand a short-term mute/ban for when you're :rabble:ing. But anything more than an hour or two seems excessive for precisely the reasons you cited.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2010, 10:34 »

Nobody should get muted in there unless they are obviously trying to troll OUT of character making fun of the rpers, which has been taken care of so far.

If one side is getting too loud, please guys.  Go to your rp support channel and tell them to STFU and chill out.  You're allowed to do that.  Give em a warning if they keep it up. Sometimes they don't know any better or they get caught up in the moment.

I've seen both sides rile out of control in there before, it's not just the Sansha guys.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 10:37 by IzzyChan »

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2010, 10:38 »

Use extra post for issuerelated cool pic or even just semirelated...

Hm...so that is what Havo devours for sustance to further his forumwarrioring....
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 10:40 by Kaldor Mintat »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2010, 10:38 »

* Havohej eats doubleposts when they're marked as undesirable by their poster :3

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2010, 10:42 »

The muting in question was lifted -- before anyone gets on their case about it -- but it is not the topic at hand. As I stated, it is not a witch hunt. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think about the topic in general.
I understand a short-term mute/ban for when you're :rabble:ing. But anything more than an hour or two seems excessive for precisely the reasons you cited.

This is dangerous thinking though -- and exactly what I'm getting at. What is ":rabble:ing" in your sense of discussion? Is it speaking to a side? Preaching? Trying to incite distrust amongst one side or the other (regardless of who is doing it)? Is it strictly trying to be directly disruptive to people's ability to roleplay? How do you define it?

I would define it as disrupting roleplay.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2010, 10:45 »

Disrupting roleplay, or disrupting the channel. The Summit does have some standards of behavior.

What is dangerous, and in my opinion unacceptable, is basing any of that on what faction people RP for.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2010, 10:54 »

* Casiella agrees with Silver Night

Monopolizing the conversation such that no one else can participate, OOC trolling, ASCII art, etc. Those are reasons to get modded. "You are my enemy" is not, IMO.

Though I'll also note that the general atmosphere there that leads to things like this is why I've avoided The Summit (and OOC) for months now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7